Project Server 2007: Cumulative Update for February 2009

The Cumulative Updates for February 2009 for both the Office server and client components are now available (well it is only Feb 41st :))  Thanks Rob for putting these details together.  I will have another posting shortly which explains the deployment process you should adopt with the new server rollup packages first introduced in December.  Here are the February Cumulative update details:-

You can read about the fixes included in the February CU Server Rollup Packages from the following articles:

Description of the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 cumulative update package: February 24, 2009

Description of the SharePoint Server 2007 cumulative update package (MOSS server-package): February 24, 2009

Note:  The Project 2007 client patch is not included in the Server Rollup Packages so you will need to deploy the individual client patch.

These KB Articles list the fixes included in the Individual Cumulative Update Package for Project Server and Project 2007:

Description of the Project Server 2007 hotfix package : February 24, 2009

Description of the Project 2007 hotfix package (Project.msp): February 24, 2009

Note:  KB Articles may not be released at the time of the CU release but we should see then publically available within a week or two of the CU release.

At the time of writing, 7am PST on 3/13/09 only the first KB listed above gives a good link and I would urge you to wait and see what is fixed before loading.  But if you are too impatient and want to test these out in a non-production system (which you always do – right?) then using links like the following will get you to the downloads.  This one is for KB961756 – so substitute any of the other KB numbers above to get to others.

1. Thanks again to Rob for putting these words together on the different versions of packages in the cumulative

2. schmitty_78 says:

Do the December updates need to be installed prior to the February package, or does February contain everything from December?

Cheers – Larry

3. Hi Larry,

4. Dan says:

So do the Project Server 207 Patches exsist now ? or have they been recalled..

Unlike prevoius updates, this time I have aonly really found info ont he the WSS and the MOSS updates.. Are the Project Server fixes part of those ?

Is there anywhere you can point me to see a list of things that have been fixed / added to project server since the July Updates ?? Not even the MS Project Blog has any info on the Feb patches…

5. I am sorry to add to some confusion, or maybe it is just my confusion.  As I see it, you are saying the following is the plan for implementation of the patches for Project Server 2007:

Install Project Server, then SP1, then Infrastructure Update, then the February 2009 update.  Or am I missing another patch package?

6. Ksu says:

Does Cumulative Update for February 2009 include Infrastructure Update?

7. Peter says:

If using the Individual Cumulative Update Package for Project Server, KB966308, is the updated WSS binaries included in that or is there a separate Individual Cumulative Update Package for WSS that you are supposed to install prior to KB966308?

8. Rist says:

Regarding your comment "The cumulative updates are cumulative from the last Service Pack – so yes, Feb contains everything since SP1, including those items in the December CU."

Is this referring to the sharepoint package or the Project Server 2007 package?

If it applies to the Project Server 2007 package: Does this mean if I install SP1, the infrastructure update and the kb/968271 my Project Server 2007 will be completely up to date?

If not, what can I do to make sure my Project Server 2007 deployment is completely up to date? Is there some way that is not digging through all these KB articles and broken links to find what I have and don’t have?

9. Hi Dan,

All the fixes are available using the links given above.  MOSS Server patch also contain Project Server CU.  The articles are also now live and contain the list of items fixed.  To see all fixes since July you would need to review the articles for August, October and December also.

10. Hi Jesse,

All Cumulative Updates, starting in December 2008 also include the Infrastructure Update – so in your example you don’t need to install the IU – just SP1 and Feb CU.  As this also applies to WSS and SharePoint you are best to load the WSS CU, and if you have MOSS, the Office Server CU (MOSS Server package) which will update MOSS and PS and contains the IU for both.  You should also load the Feb CU for all clients as there is a dependancy introduced in the IU in the way Fixed Duration tasks was handled.  There is a new TechNet article on its way through review – I will post to my blog when this is published.

Best regards,

11. Hi Ksu – as per the answer above – Yes, it does include IU.

12. Hi Peter,

The 966308 fix is for the Project client.  968271 is for the server, but does not include WSS.  WSS Feb CU is 961755, but is not a pre-requisite of 968271, but it makes sense to keep all the packages up to date.

13. Hi Rist,

The Project Server February CU (968271)contains all updates since SP1 – including the IU – so just SP1 and Feb CU required and you are good to go for project.  If you want then also do the same for WSS (and you will need to load SP1 as I think it is a pre-req for Project Server SP1) then .

If you have MOSS then you can substitute the MOSS Server packages for the Project Server packages and this will update MOSS and Project Server – again just SP1 + Feb CU (961756).

As I mention above – as there was a client/server fix that depend on each other in the IU you also need to make sure that the clients are patched at least to IU – prefereably to Feb CU (966308).

14. Christoph Muelder says:

Hello Brian,

I think I have found a reproducable problem with this Update.

When the CU 02/2009 is applied, I can not create a new PWA site any more.

I receive this error message:

A runtime exception was detected. Details follow.

Message: Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ‘dbo.Objects’ with unique index ‘IX_Objects_ClassId_ParentId_Name’.

The statement has been terminated.

Techinal Details:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ‘dbo.Objects’ with unique index ‘IX_Objects_ClassId_ParentId_Name’.

The statement has been terminated.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.PutObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean ensure)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Update()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.Update()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProjectPSISharedApplicationTimerJob.UpdateName()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProjectPSISharedApplicationTimerJob.Execute(Guid targetInstanceId)

I created a fresh system with SP1, created a site, updated to CU12, created a site, updated to CU02/2009 and now creating the site fails.

Best regards

15. Hi Christoph,

I’ve had a few people on the team check this out and we do not see any issues after Feb CU – provision is working as expected.  It may be that something was already affected in your server and the CU was a coincidence.  I’d suggest opening a support incident to get to the bottom of the problem – but looks like a problem with duplicate data.  Has a previous provision failed and not been succesfully removed?

Best regards,

16. I’ve answered a few comments on recent blog postings on the recent CU release , but thought I’d post

17. ***Update*** If you are running MOSS with Project you should NOT load the December CU for MOSS as it

18. I’ve posted this as an update on my December Cumulative Update article, but think it worth posting afresh

19. wgharwal says:

Hello Brian,

Thanks for all your work!  I need some clarification please:

Please confirm that in order to completely update the project server 2007 farm environment(no MOSS deployment – just Project server 2007), here is what needs to be done:

1.  apply latest CU for WSS

2.  apply latest CU for project server 2007

Or, do we need to install the latest MOSS 2007 CU?

20. No need for the MOSS CU if you just have Project Server Walid.  Just WSS and Project Server is perfect.  And of course the client CU too for Project Professional.

21. Leonardo Costa says:

I have the same problem Christoph Muelder described up there.  I am unable to create a PWA site after February CU installation.  There is an event saying the PWA site already exists then the same events about duplicated entries on the database start showing up on the event viewer.  These errors applies to my test environment already running some PWA sites and to clean installed ones too.  The only "non-usual product" I have installed is the Language pack pt-br for WSS and MOSS 2007.  I’m surprised Brian could not reproduce it, cause it happened on the 3 vanilla servers I installed it already.  Maybe its language pack related, cause I’m assuming you didn’t installed one when you tried to reproduce the error.

22. wgharwal says:

hello Brian,

I installed the WSS3.0 FEB CU successfully – and it looks like the version has been updated to  However, the project server has not been updated and my PWA is now down.  When I run the configuration wizzard, it fails on task 8 of 9.  It indicates:

Failed to Upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies:  An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.

Any ideas?

23. Hi Leonardo,

I don’t have any language packs currently on my server, but am confident that enough customers use language packs that we would know before now if this were the problem.  The error that PWA site already exists usually relates to some manual deletions being carried out – rather than using the "Manage PWA" page – which cleans everything up for you.

24. Hi Walid,

Have you loaded the Project Server CU yet?  You can just run the config wizard after all the CU’s are loaded, rather than after just the WSS CU.  You may need a support incident if the problem coninues.  I hae seen this issue on one of my servers, but just re-running the wizard worked fine.

25. wgharwal says:

Thanks for the response!  I did run the WSS CU first and then the PS CU second.  Once the CUs were installed, then I ran the configuration wizzard.  I ran the config wizzard several times but still failed.  It is on a sandbox so I am not too worried about it.  However I do have another question I was hoping you could point me in the right direction:

1.  Is there any documentation for installing/deploying Project Server 2007 on a Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 – both 64-bit?

– I only see documentation for Single-server-installation of Project server 2007.

26. Hi Walid,

The farm installation should apply for all architectures and certainly ok for Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008. On a single server you can choose the custom install and then point specifically to the locally installed SQL Server – to avoid a SQL Express install.  With Windows Server 2008 installs one of the "gotchas" is the firewall which will need configuring to allow access to SQL if you have multiple servers.

27. Tina says:

Hello Brian,

We also have the problem like Christoph Muelder and Leonardo Costa do. If we try to create a PWA site we get the error message:

"Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ‘dbo.Objects’ with unique index ‘IX_Objects_ClassId_ParentId_Name’."

So we’ve deleted all databases, made a new installation of the whole Server (OS) and started installing again

1. MOPS 2007

2. MOPS 2007 Language Pack DE

3. February CU (1. wss-kb961755-fullfile-x64-glb.exe, 2. office-kb968271-fullfile-x64-glb.exe)

Then run the configuration wizard, create SSP and web-app – all works fine. But as we tried to create the PWA Site we’ve got the error above again.

Do you have any suggestions how to troubleshoot or solve this problem?

(We didn’t delete anything manually on the database)

28. Hi Tina,

This sounds like a problem one of our European Support Engineers is currently working on.  Is this coincidence or do you have a case open with us?  Let me know either way.  I don’t think there is an answer yet, but it appears related to the MUI.

29. Janus Morthorst says:

I have a Project server 2007 slipstreamed with SP2 all in da-dk.

My installation is scripted and I have the exactly same problem: "Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ‘dbo.Objects’ with unique index ‘IX_Objects_ClassId_ParentId_Name’.  The statement has been terminated". I will now try to install with RTM and make a PWA and then update the system with SP2, cause unfortunately I do not have time to open a support case, but no doubt we have a seious problem here…

30. Mads Nielsen says:

Is there a solution/answer to this issue? We are also affected by this problem with a Danish installation with SP2.

‘Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ‘dbo.Objects’ with unique index ‘IX_Objects_ClassId_ParentId_Name’.’

Best regards

Mads Nielsen

31. Hi Janus, Mads,

We are aware of this problem from a few customers now and are working on a resolution.  If you could open a support case Mads, this will help us track this issue.  I appreciate Janus you just needed to get working and went for the workaround – and left out the MUI.  I will post broadly when we have a resolution for this one.  Best regards,

32. Barry Holleran says:

Hi Brian,

We are experiencing exactly the same problem in our Production envirnoment: "Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ‘dbo.Objects’ with unique index ‘IX_Objects_ClassId_ParentId_Name’

I had a similar case open for Preproduction, which with hindsight is the same problem, it is now open two weeks and we still don’t have a feasible solution.

It has been suggested that we create a second SSP but this is not an option due to our current configuration.

Can you give us an estimate for a fix?

We have three Project Server instances awaiting provisioning… lots of users / licences.

33. Hi Barry,

Could you let me know the case number you have open for your pre-production issue?  If you prefer privacy then use the option which will send me mail. Or will get to me.

34. Barry Holleran says:

Thanks Brian. I have just sent you an email with the details.

35. Ivan says:

Hi everyone,

we are experience the same problem "Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ‘dbo.Objects’ with unique index ‘IX_Objects_ClassId_ParentId_Name’", is there a hotfix?

Thanks in advance,

36. Jose Ramalho says:

Here a solution from MSFT:

We have investigated on the issue and have identified it to be a BUG.

The issue however happens in only certain scenario and in Language pack presence.

The issue occurs after applying February or later Cumulative update or Service Pack 2.

After we apply February CU it checks for a particular language timer job and, if it is not present, creates a new one in English (even though the correct timer job may actually be present in the local language). This causes the duplicate key event and the error we see when provisioning fails.

The issue has been confirmed by the product team as a known issue and the fix is planned in the month of June 2009 (though not committed dates).

Here’s potentially 2 simpler and safer workarounds.

My recommendation is to go with #1 instead of #2 as #2 may require that you restart the Server.

We need to follow anyone of the workaround.

Option #1 – Delete sync jobs before provisioning site

1. To delete a timer definition job, find the Job ID by going to the Sharepoint Central Administration site | Operations | Timer Job Definitions

2. Look for the Project Server sync jobs and right click on the links and select Copy Link

3. Paste the link into Notepad and the link will  look something like this: http://ProjectServer:11641/_admin/JobEdit.aspx?JobId=57b935d4%2Db43f%2D4dc4%2Dbd9c%2Dc74bb000b9c6

4. Copy out just  the JobId section and replace the text “%2D” with a dash e.g  –

5. Once you are done your GUID should look like the following based on the example above:  57b935d4-b43f-4dc4-bd9c-c74bb000b9c6

6. Run the following command with the jobID. [stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id <job_Id>].

For example: stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id 57b935d4-b43f-4dc4-bd9c-c74bb000b9c6

7. Make sure to delete both Project Server Synchronization Timer jobs

8. Provision site as you  normally would.

Option#2 – Change the regional settings

1. Change the regional settings on the server to MATCH the language of the MUI.

2. Provision site

3. Change the regional settings back to its original.

37. Thanks Jose, and yes I can confirm this is the current workaround of choice – though probably #1 is the cleaner approach and originated from a person sitting just 2 metres from me as I write this!

38. David Hans says:

Hi Brian – did the fix for this make it into the June CU? (or is will it be in the August one)

39. Walid says:

Hello Brian,

What is the latest Post SP2 Project server 2007 and WSS 3.0 CU?