Friends don’t let friends delete their cache or cancel queue jobs

Inspired by Brian Kennemer’s e-mail tag line of “Friends don’t let friends assign resources to summary tasks” I thought I would get back on my soapbox about the cache and queue.  I do appreciate that there are some early bugs around custom field display that require the occasional local cache deletion – and there are a couple of rare scenarios that will leave the queue in a bad way and things need canceling.  But generally many of the situations our customers run into can be resolved without recourse to either of these actions – which can both lead to DATA LOSS!

A couple of examples from the queue:-

Project Save from Project Professional – Getting Queued

This means the data is flowing from the client cache to the server queue – and once it is all in the queue it will then be loaded into the Project Server database tables.  If the client goes away while this is happening (and this can be our fault as we don’t handle Project closing very well) or the network goes down, or you hibernate your laptop as you race out of Starbucks, then the queue will just sit in this state.  If you cancel the queue job then the good data in the client cache will never see the light of day.  The correct approach is to identify from the queue where the save is coming from (the owner will display from the queue) and then get that person to re-connect their client and the getting queued should continue.  In some cases you will see the original save show as canceled but if you look in the ULS logs it will have a message along the lines of:-

PWA:http://server1/PWA, SSP:SharedServices1, User:DOMAIN\username, PSI: WinProj.PreSaveProject [T:abf8f56f-e3d1-4139-9355-55ef33aa1378][U:079d778a-2a14-455a-a52e-3141b57e75ea][S:6521e25f-5c1c-41d3-a224-7a868e161c42][D:CLIENT1\ProjConf 2][J:abf8f56f-e3d1-4139-9355-55ef33aa1378][PS_AC][3] Cancelling correlation 2439f848-3966-44b7-a645-1ff7b6914f10 as it has 1 send incomplete winproj save jobs.

which indicates the original save hadn’t got very far so it cancels it from the server and starts again.  This was in fact the project that should have demonstrated this recovery at the project conference – but I didn’t leave Project Professional connected to that profile for long enough (my fault – trying to present 3 hours of stuff in 75 minutes).  Another interesting tip from this queue job – CLIENT1\ProjConf 2 is the server name and the Project Server account (not user account but the “profile”) used on that machine to make this queue request.

So the queue shows something like this:-

image

with the important fact that I didn’t cancel anything and the save came from my client cache – and nothing was lost.

Timesheet Update – Failed and Blocking Correlation

This next example shows a couple of things – the sleeping state and that the retry does work.  As long as you fix the underlying problem.  The queue is all data driven and if the data stays the same then it will behave exactly the same.  (One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome – same thing with the queue).  If I submit a timesheet with administrative time then when the update is processed it puts a calendar exception in to my calendar for the non-working time.  If as a resource I am checked out then this update can go into a sleeping state (Waiting to be processed (Sleeping)) – and it wakes up every 2 minutes and tries again.  If I happen to get checked in in the meantime then all is good and the process completes.  If not then eventually it will fail.  The error shown in the queue even gives you a reasonable clue to why it failed (if you know the secret language – CICO = Check-in check-out):-

Error summary/areas:
Array
CICOAlreadyCheckedOutToYou
Queue
GeneralQueueJobFailed
Error details:

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-16″?>
<errinfo>
  <array name=”Array” type=”System.Guid”>
    <item value=”079d778a-2a14-455a-a52e-3141b57e75ea”>
      <error id=”10101″ name=”CICOAlreadyCheckedOutToYou” uid=”ce366c36-421b-4c47-8fa0-d68f42ba63d6″ />
    </item>
  </array>
  <general>
    <class name=”Queue”>
      <error id=”26000″ name=”GeneralQueueJobFailed” uid=”385171b0-3ee9-4087-b308-859cb62fea53″ JobUID=”702e81a6-4f0e-4faf-ab78-2ab81fe60972″ ComputerName=”SERVER2″ GroupType=”TimesheetUpdate” MessageType=”UpdateTimesheetMessage” MessageId=”1″ Stage=”” />
    </class>
  </general>
</errinfo>

To recover from this error you do not need to cancel – just fix the underlying problem, which in this case was that I had my account open in Manage Users on another IE session, and then select the job and click retry.

image

This time it all works fine – even the blocked jobs can continue and other related jobs get spawned to update the reporting DB.

image

So please, please, please – deleting the local cache and canceling queue jobs should be a last resort.  There is usually a better way.

Technorati Tags: Project Server 2007

1. James Fraser says:

This is great in theory, but almost all of the blocking queue jobs I run into do not fall into the above two problems:

How about a Project Publish failed and blocking at 95%? Client has been connected to the Project server with Proj Pro running for hours after the publish failed, so I know it’s not a client connectivity or client disappearing problem.

I would love to retry or not delete the job, but I really have no options, that I know of. I’d be happy to learn I’m wrong…

(part of the Queue Job Error Details below for the most recent instance of this failure. I’ve seen this on a couple of different servers.)

error id="23000" name="ProjectPublishFailure" uid="512ab003-062b-4800-b00a-2fc0c9d19ca7" projectuid="417dfaa4-e157-49ba-8bd3-3520fabbb5b5" messagetype="Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.ConflictResolutionMessage" messageID="180" stage="" blocking="Block"

2. BriSmith says:

Great feedback James, and I agree that there certainly isn’t a one size fits all.

The publish jobs are less of a risk to cancel as in fact there is no data to lose – and the client really plays no part in the publish apart from making the request (once the data is saved).  When you request a publish the queue job contains no real data (nothing gets "enqueued" – there is no real payload) but just a record requesting that the draft data be copied to the published database (in simple terms). Failure at 95% in this case probably relates to a data error and I would suggest turning up the ULS logging to Verbose for the queue and then search for SRA in the logs after the failure. I’m guessing an issue with Summary Resource Assignments.  In some cases errors like these can be resolved by cancelling (nothing to lose) then delete the project from the published store ONLY (Server Settings, Delete Enterprise Objects) and then re-publish. But again – no silver bullet, we build up a set of resolutions as we come across different failure modes.

Brian.

3. Kevin F says:

I have two projects that were created in Project 2003 and managed through Project Server 2003.  I saved the files locally and converted them in Project 2007 Professional.  When I initially saved and published the projects, I was successful.  When users submit changes to tasks, I can approve them.  However, I can’t publish the changes.  Through Project Server 2007 I just receive a message indicating that there were errors.  When I try to publish the changes through Project Professional, I receive a 23000 error.  The only solution I can seem to find is to completely delete the projects and recreate them.  I’ve done that three times with no success.  I would really appreciate any help with this problem.  Thanks.

4. BriSmith says:

Hi Kevin,

It would help to know what the errors are.  If they keep coming back are you starting from the same template?  Does it happen with new projects from 2007?  One thing that can cause this issue is blank lines right under a summary task – but without detailed error messages from the ULS logs I can’t tell if this is the problem for you.  Also some of these types of issues are resolved in SP1 and the post SP1 rollup hotfix – so best to get updated to these if you haven’t already.  Both for the client and the server.

Brian.

5. Kevin F says:

Brian, Thanks very much for your assistance.  We’re actually experiencing a couple of issues related to Project Server 2007.  But specific to the publishing problem, the following XML message that is generated when I try to publish changes to the project plans.  Thanks again for your help.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

<errinfo>

<general>

<class name="">

<error id="23000" name="ProjectPublishFailure" uid="f7c183d3-04f0-4077-be0f-fe11d13995a3" projectuid="a86562d5-e459-4cb1-bdda-ac69e476aece" messagetype="Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.CheckWssSiteExistsMessage" messageID="8" stage="" blocking="DontBlock"/>

</class>

<class name="Queue">

<error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="33b82d22-f628-4ddc-a50f-ab9004ced3f1" JobUID="9383f36f-37a4-4a16-bc4d-6d03ca3f51bc" ComputerName="SFGSHAREPOINT1" GroupType="ProjectPublish" MessageType="CheckWssSiteExistsMessage" MessageId="8" Stage=""/>

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

6. BriSmith says:

Hi Kevin,

You would need to look at the ULS logs in c:program filescommon filesmicrosoft sharedweb server extensions12logs (default location) to get more information.  See my posting on the logs at http://blogs.msdn.com/brismith/archive/2006/12/14/finding-your-way-around-the-sharepoint-logs.aspx. The 23000 and 26000 errors are just generic "queue job failed" messages – but seem to be poiting to problems with checking the existence of the WSS sites.

Brian

7. Kevin F says:

Brian,

Thanks for the additional information.  I will check out the logs and see what I can find.  Thanks again.

Kevin

8. Kevin F says:

Thanks for the follow up Brian.  We installed both service packs and I manually recreated the project plans that came from Project Server 2003.  Those two events seemed to resolve both issues we were experiencing.  Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

9. Kevin F says:

Brian,

I have had many problems opening projects in Professional 2007 through Server 2007.  The problem is related to editing a project from the server through Professional 2007.  It doesn’t seem to hand checkout rights back to the server.  What strikes me is that the only way to fix the issue is by clearing my local cache.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Kevin

10. BriSmith says:

Hi Kevin,

If you have SP1 and the post SP1 rollup hotfix applied (Client and Server) and have started with a new cache (creating another account with the Start, Microsoft Office, Office Office Tools, Microsoft Office Project Server Accounts) will acheibe this – you can use the same details, just a different name for the account) then hopefully you should not be seeing this issue still.

Brian

11. Dave says:

These are very good information.  However this has gotten to a point that’s very frustrating.  For example, I check out a project, made some changes and saved it.  I went to publish the project and it said on the bottom that the status of checking in with 0% and the expected wait time 5s. I waited 10 minutes and the status was never changed.  I login to the PWA as admin and canceled the project on the queue. Now the Job State is ‘canceled’ instead of ‘waiting to be processed’. From the Force Check-in, I’m not able the check in the project.  I am using microsoft office project 2007.  Why does it take a long time for a project to process?

12. Kevin F says:

Dave and Brian,

We installed SP1 and the hotfix.  It worked for about a week.  Now I’m experiencing the same problem again.  I open the project through the server, which launches Project 2007 Professional.  I make changes, save them and publish them.  I close the project and it prompts me to check it back in, which I do.  I then verify on the server that the project is checked and it is.  I then examine my local cache and it also lists the project as checked in.  But when I try to open the project again–either through Project Web Access or through Project Professional 2007–I receive a message stating that I can only open the file as Read-Only because it’s checked out in another instance.  All I can do is clear my cache.  Hopefully they will address this with SP2.

13. BriSmith says:

Hi Dave,

There can be a number of reasons why a process takes a while – and cancelling will not make it work any faster.  I am guessing in your case that there is an older "save" job already in the queue – so no new saves or check-ins will not work until this completes – or is cancelled.  Change the history settings to see if there are any old jobs for the same project.  Dealing with that problem should then make other things work OK.

Brian.

14. BriSmith says:

Hi Kevin,

I am not aware of a regression coming on this one – so would love to get some reproducible steps to make this happen.  Certainly opening from Pro v PWA will use different cache directories – so can lead to this kind of behavior.  Did you start with a brand new cache after applying SP1 + rollup hotfix?

Brian.

15. Kevin F says:

Brian,

Thanks for your continued assistance with this.  Yes, after we installed SP1 and the hotfix, I created a completely new account on the Project server.  The fix worked for about a week.  I feel what’s contributing to this issue is accessing the site through an internal wireless connection.  I can reproduce the error on demand, using either cache.  For now, I’ve just been removing the one file I’m having difficulty with from local cache before opening.  Thanks.

Kevin

16. lsolano says:

I hace this situation….any idea???

Your ProjectUpdate job failed.Its current state is Failed.It was 100% complete.It entered the queue at 07/29/2008 12:33:33.

To get more information about the job failure, please go to Project Web Access.Select Personal Settings from the left menu.Then select My Queued Jobs.

The errors returned from the queue are as follows:

Error ID: 9133

Error ID: 26000

Detailed error below – send it to the administrator for more detailed troubleshooting.

<?xmlversion="1.0"encoding="utf-16"?>

<errinfo>

<general>

<classname="Project">

<errorid="9133"name="ProjectSchedulingEngineException"uid="dbf6c94d-9b8e-4353-b9a9-7b3d0f601a8b"exception="System.NullReferenceException:Objectreferencenotsettoaninstanceofanobject.atMicrosoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.ProjectSchedule.Schedule()atMicrosoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.ProjectMain.HandleProject(ProjectDataSetdataset,GuidprojectUid,GuiduserUid,StringuserName,BooleanisNew,BooleanaddColumns,ProjectLocksprojectLock,BooleanfCheckReadOnly,BooleanfCheckProtectedActuals,BooleanfAllowAddEntRes)"/>

</class>

<classname="Queue">

<errorid="26000"name="GeneralQueueJobFailed"uid="9ed5759b-bdcc-40fc-8c52-f235ed0182ca"JobUID="e7839d1d-885e-4397-9a22-9536714d2a1c"ComputerName="BCR0106PMO41"GroupType="ProjectUpdate"MessageType=""MessageId=""Stage=""/>

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

You can do the following:

1. Try troubleshooting using the error IDs, error XML.

2. Contact administrator with your jobID (e7839d1d-885e-4397-9a22-9536714d2a1c) and error XML.

17. BriSmith says:

Hi Isolano,

What service pack and hotfixes have you loaded?  I know one hotfix has addressed that error.  I would suggest getting on to the latest hotfix and the Infrastructure Update.

Brian

18. BriSmith says:

Hi Isolano,

Brian

19. Colby Africa says:

I thought I would repost something Brian Smith wrote.&#160; Believe you me when I say follow his advice:

20. Kevin says:

Brian,

Well it happened again.  I’m really getting tired of this.  I’ve been working in a project plan for several weeks.  The check-in/out and publish process has been working fine.  Then I went to open the project plan this morning and received the same annoying error message stating that I could only open the project in Read-Only mode because a previous check for this project is not complete.

When I examine my local cache, it shows the project with a status of Ready for processing.  I have SP1 and the hotfix loaded on my computer and it still happens.  I’ve just about had my fill of Project Server 2007.

21. BriSmith says:

Hi Kevin,

I am sorry you are getting frustrated by this – and I can understand why.  Does the queue show that the save and check-in worked OK in for this project?  We are working on check-in pending issues and as soon as I have some good news I will share it.

Brian.

22. Kevin says:

Thanks for your quick response Brian.  The reason it’s so frustrating is because I don’t know what’s happening to cause it.  If I knew that, I would just stop doing it.

It’s good to hear that you are working on check-in pending issues.  Thanks again for the update.

Kevin

23. Mshayeb says:

Hi

im facing a problem with our project server , when some resources try to submit the time sheet they got the red message at the butom if the page

"While communicating with the Project Server an error occured. Check connectivity with your administrator to determine if further action is necessary. "

Then they recive this email

Your TimesheetUpdate job failed.  Its current state is Failed.  It was 0% complete.  It entered the queue at 11/26/2008 10:14:57.

To get more information about the job failure, please go to Project Web Access.  Select Personal Settings from the left menu.  Then select My Queued Jobs.

The errors returned from the queue are as follows:

Error ID: 20010

Error ID: 26000

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

<errinfo>

<general>

<class name="User is attempting to update an assignment they do not own">

<error id="20010" name="GeneralSecurityAccessDenied" uid="aea39d66-9024-48d5-bc76-12e93126c407" />

</class>

<class name="Queue">

<error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="fa6fac8e-8545-4733-b381-9daa53f782de" JobUID="43a712a5-0978-4660-8088-c4500040dc4d" ComputerName="SV-PSU-EPM" GroupType="TimesheetUpdate" MessageType="UpdateTimesheetMessage" MessageId="1" Stage="" />

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

Then the changes never got reflected to the cubes !!!!

This is a new problem we didnt have it befor could you please help me .

24. BriSmith says:

Hi Mshayeb,

The error appears to be related to an assignment update from a resource who does not own the assignment.  As this is coming apparently from a timesheet entry I assume you are using the tied mode sample – or there are some steps happening between submission of the timesheet – such as import to My Tasks?  I would check the assignment and see who the assignment owner is – and if it is incorrect then make the resource the assignment owner.

Brian.

25. Hi we are getting a similar problem with our Timesheet returns as the system randomly rejects input after a save the timesheet status reverts from "in progress" to "processing" then to "error" and sends an error message as shown below.

sometimes you can be lucky and the change will be OK but make a second update within the same session and it will almost always fail in this way especially if adding administrative time.

Is this a server timeout problem?

Your TimesheetUpdate job failed.  Its current state is Failed.  It was 0% complete.  It entered the queue at 03/23/2009 14:30:57.

The errors returned from the queue are as follows:

GroupType="TimesheetUpdate" MessageType="UpdateTimesheetMessage"

MessageId="1" Stage="" />

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

You can do the following:

1. Try troubleshooting using the error IDs, error XML.

2. Contact administrator with your jobID

(8e65cb1e-04c0-4320-ae3b-bedbf7ff981d) and error XML.

To turn off these notifications, go to Project Web Access, click Personal Settings on the left menu, and then click Manage My Alerts and Reminders.

>From this page, you can clear the check box for those notifications you

longer want to receive.

Message from: Microsoft Office Project Server

26. BriSmith says:

Hi Kevin,

It doesn’t look like a timeout, but possibly a clash.  The CICOCheckedOutToOtherUser message may mean it cannot update something as it is checked out.  Could be a calendar – as admin time can get inserted as a calendar exception.  The ULS logs may give more information.

Brian

27. Marnus says:

Hi Brian,

I have a very strange error, related to this post. I have a user who saves her project – simply save, not publish – the save nearly immediatly gives her and "error 42" in her Project 2007 client.

When one checks the queue after this error occured, one finds that the save job is still in the "Getting Queued" state, and remains that way untill it gets cancelled.

If you check the sharepoint logs, you find something really interesting in there:

Exception occurred in method WinProj.SaveProject System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.     at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.WinProjUtility.P12Deserializer.AddBaselineProperty(ContainerInfo cntrInfo, Row row, Property protoProp, Int32 pid, Object propval)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.WinProjUtility.P12Deserializer.ReadIntrinsicNullValuedProps(P12ContainerHeader cntrHeader, RowType rowType, Int32 intrinsicDataEndOffset, Row row)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessL…

Now the thing that grabs my eye is that An item with the same key has already been added. Could it be that she had a network problem, like you explained in the post, the project save didn’t quite go through and now when one tries to save it again, it recognises the key from the failed save?

How can I fix this problem?

28. BriSmith says:

Hi Marnus,

There was a fix in the October CU for one specific "Error 42".  Do you have that fix loaded?  If so then this may be another variant.  One potential workaround would be to delete the project from the server then re-save (making sure you have the mpp safe beforehand).  Obviously if you have reported work through PWA you may also need to re-enter.

Brian.

29. Kevin F says:

Brian,

I’m experiencing a strange issue in Project Professional 2007 and Project Server.  I’ve been trying to create a new enterprise calendar through Project Professional.  Last month we installed SP2 and the April Cumulative Update.  The system will not allow me to do that when I’m logged into the Project server.  The Create New Calendar and Add Calendar to Enterprise… buttons are disabled.  When I try to create a new calendar through Project Web Access, the system launches Project Professional but also gives me a strange message.  I was able to finagle to allow me to create a new enterprise calendar.  But I can’t do it through Project Pro the way I used to.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

30. la1brown says:

Hi Brian,

Do you know if the following error is somehow related to republishing a workplan and then subsequently deleting the save & publish jobs during an active time reporting window? The error is on the Applied Task Updates and Error pages.  There is a red "X" beside some tasks that have already been accepted.  Whe we place the cursor on the error, a comment box tells us "There was an error applying the updates" and the system does not publish the data back to the plan.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

31. Ajay says:

Hello Brian,

First of all i would like to say thank you for providing such usefull info.

I am getting below error for some projects with the queue complete % status around 93

(using SP2 and April CU).Thanks to provide some help on this (I didn’t found any corrupted task)

Error summary/areas:

ProjectPublishFailure

Queue

GeneralQueueJobFailed

Error details:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

<errinfo>

<general>

<class name="">

<error id="23000" name="ProjectPublishFailure" uid="b94ef24e-d84e-4bfd-b871-d31ae371a518" projectuid="d703b1c1-0e77-42ff-b5d0-0fb84d7f0826" messagetype="Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.UpdateSRAMessage" messageID="177" stage="" blocking="Block" />

</class>

<class name="Queue">

<error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="31b2b62a-5900-490c-ac4b-7d0e91e69b59" JobUID="c398ff9a-13fe-4a50-be25-0969f7a77daa" ComputerName="GNB500153" GroupType="ProjectPublish" MessageType="UpdateSRAMessage" MessageId="177" Stage="" />

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

32. BriSmith says:

Hi Ajay,

The failure around 93% is related to the summary resource assignments and it can be difficult to track down.  Might be best to open a support incident as I don’t like to recommend things like deleting from the published database and republishing (which somtimes resolves this kind of issue) without more details.  I’m sure one of our engineers would be able to overcome these problems with you.

Brian.

33. Ajay says:

Thanks Brian,

Can you confirm the impacts of deleting a project from publish DB only like –

1) Is some data loss

2) Any impact on My timesheet and My task data

4) What about task actual data in MPP

3) If yes, deleting the project from publish and making republish can take back the data

Rgds,

Ajay

34. BriSmith says:

Hi Ajay,

As long as the delete is only from the Published then no data loss.  When you save to mpp and also delete from the draft then you do risk losing the timephased information of the actuals entered into the plan.  Timesheet data is not affected by this deletion.

Brian

35. Mehmet Kurt says:

Hi Brian,

When we want to update timesheet actual work value with programmatically, project server shows an error on the timesheet detail page "While communicating with the Project Server an error occured. Check connectivity with your administrator to determine if further action is necessary" and also job state is ERROR and  Failed and Blocking Correlation.

My Source Code is

——————————-

actualsRow = timesheetDs.Actuals.NewActualsRow();

actualsRow.TS_ACT_FINISH_DATE = DateTime.Parse(row["EndDate"].ToString());

actualsRow.TS_ACT_PLAN_VALUE = 10000;

actualsRow.TS_ACT_START_DATE = DateTime.Parse(row["StartDate"].ToString());

actualsRow.TS_ACT_VALUE = Convert.ToDecimal(row["ActualWork"].ToString());

actualsRow.TS_ACT_COMMENT = "Incident";

actualsRow.TS_LINE_UID = timesheetDs.Lines[i].TS_LINE_UID;

timesheetDs.Actuals.AddActualsRow(actualsRow);

jobUid = Guid.NewGuid();

timeSheetSvc.QueueUpdateTimesheet(jobUid, timeSheetUid, timesheetDs);

Utilities.WaitForQueue(q, jobUid);

———————————-

After displaying error, I opened the timesheet detail record and manuel set the actual work any row and save it. This method fix the error.

Please Help

Mehmet Kurt

mehmet.kurt@sampas.com.tr

36. Mehmet Kurt says:

Application Log is here

—————————————

10/06/2009 00:53:51.57 Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x10D0) 0x07D4 Project Server                 Project Server Queue           954l Medium   PWA:http://project.sam.com.tr, SSP:SharedServices1, User:samshrpnt2007, PSI:   [QUEUE]  Message not processed: Group: 07ea19cf-9e8e-4764-a9ec-f84f1ff64de5MsgId: 1 Type: UpdateTimesheetMessage 63db7c40-16d6-4e1b-90f7-256971661ac3

10/06/2009 00:53:51.57 Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x10D0) 0x12AC Project Server                 Project Server Queue           7h60 Critical Standard Information:PSI Entry Point:   Project User: samMKURT  Correlation Id: 44d1e4b6-9870-4dbf-94c3-55606404d6f4  PWA Site URL: http://project.sam.com.tr  SSP Name: SharedServices1  PSError: GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) A queue job has failed. This is a general error logged by the Project Server Queue everytime a job fails – for effective troubleshooting use this error message with other more specific error messages (if any), the Operations guide (which documents more details about queued jobs) and the trace log (which could provide more detailed context). More information about the failed job follows. GUID of the failed job: eabcb868-cf95-45bc-8518-6afd0a16dc0e. Name of the computer that processed this job: PORTAL2007 (to debug further, you need to look at the trace log from t… 96990cbe-1898-4b2d-8519-345d52ba9189

10/06/2009 00:53:51.57* Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x10D0) 0x12AC Project Server                 Project Server Queue           7h60 Critical …his computer). Failed job type: TimesheetUpdate. Failed sub-job type: UpdateTimesheetMessage. Failed sub-job ID: 1. Stage where sub-job failed:  (this is useful when one sub-job has more than one logical processing stages). 96990cbe-1898-4b2d-8519-345d52ba9189

10/06/2009 00:53:51.59 Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x10D0) 0x12AC Project Server                 Project Server Queue           7h5x Medium   PWA:http://project.sam.com.tr, SSP:SharedServices1, User:samshrpnt2007, PSI:   [QUEUE] TimesheetQ: Group  07ea19cf-9e8e-4764-a9ec-f84f1ff64de5 type = TimesheetUpdate aborted at Message 1 96990cbe-1898-4b2d-8519-345d52ba9189

10/06/2009 00:53:51.59 Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x10D0) 0x12AC Project Server                 Project Server Queue           7h5z Medium   PWA:http://project.sam.com.tr, SSP:SharedServices1, User:samshrpnt2007, PSI:   [QUEUE] TimesheetQ: Group  07ea19cf-9e8e-4764-a9ec-f84f1ff64de5 correlation 08c1ac50-9070-4ab7-8360-3fc8d26ce6bc type = TimesheetUpdate failed at Message 1 and is blocking the correlation Errors: GeneralQueueJobFailed 96990cbe-1898-4b2d-8519-345d52ba9189

10/06/2009 00:53:55.57 w3wp.exe (0x0F44)                       0x13A0 Project Server                 Project Server Queue           8tfj Medium   PWA:http://project.sam.com.tr, SSP:SharedServices1, User:samMKURT, PSI: QueueSystem.GetJobCompletionState  [QUEUE] [PSI] GetJobCompletionState(eabcb868-cf95-45bc-8518-6afd0a16dc0e, out errorString) f288757f-ee96-4cc6-95c9-647c71f9bdf4

10/06/2009 00:54:05.56 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x07DC)                   0x15A4 SharePoint Portal Server       SSO                           8inc Medium   In SSOService::Synch(), sso database conn string:

37. BriSmith says:

Hi Mehmet,

I can’t tell what is going wrong here.  Possibly bad data for that user?  You may need to open a support incident and hae an engineer walk through what is happening.

Brian

38. Jojo says:

Hello Brian,

I was wondering if you can share some insights to the error message below we got during the PS migration part.

"LastError=GeneralSecurityAccessDenied Instructions: Pass this into PSClientError constructor to access all error information

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.WinProj.SyncReportingDBWithGlobalData(ReportingDBSynchronizationPhase syncPhase)

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   Error while executing soap method SyncReportingDBWithGlobalData: faultdetail: <detail><errinfo><general><class name="Access Denied."><error id="20010" name="GeneralSecurityAccessDenied" uid="22436fb1-f9d4-4e7f-9f13-56098133f4c7"/></class></general></errinfo></detail>

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   PWA Migration: Synchronize migrated resources with RDB — Failed.

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   preparing Query exec dbo.MSP_P12UPG_INSERT_OR_UPDATE_RUN_PHASE_STATUS ?, ?, ?

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   Time to execute CUpgrader::UpgradePWA_Users_RDBSync(): 94 ms

**********Phase:PWA migration end**********

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   Time to execute CUpgrader::UpgradePWA(): 19641 ms

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   Updating run table

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   preparing Query update dbo.MSP_P12UPGRADE_UPGRADE_RUNS SET UPG_RUN_STATUS = ?, UPG_RUN_FINISH_DATE = GETDATE() where UPG_RUN_UID = ?

03/08/2010 18:06:53.503   Executing Query update dbo.MSP_P12UPGRADE_UPGRADE_RUNS SET UPG_RUN_STATUS = ?, UPG_RUN_FINISH_DATE = GETDATE() where UPG_RUN_UID = ?

03/08/2010 18:06:53.519   Migration finished with return code 80004005

03/08/2010 18:06:53.519   Project migration failed."

39. BriSmith says:

Hi Jojo,

Do you have more context?  Is this a migration just from 2003 to 2007, or a migration in the VME going towards 2010?  I don’t recognize the errors.

Brian.

40. stacy says:

Hi Brian,

We are having the same problem that the following person was having.  I might have missed the information but what is causing this problem.

The error is on the Applied Task Updates and Error pages.  There is a red "X" beside some tasks that have already been accepted.  We place the cursor on the error, a comment box tells us "There was an error applying the updates" and the system does not publish the data back to the plan.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

41. carusod1 says:

Hi Brian,

Strange Project Server Queue issue – Our Cube is scheduled to build at 8pm. When reviewing the ‘OLAP Cube Build’job we see two submitted jobs at the exact time.  One job is cancelled immediately, by the system and the other job completes successfully.  Reviewing Server Settings–>Cube Build Status the following message is displayed. "Error – An item with the same key has already been added"  I suspect this is a result of the dup Cube jobs.  Can you shed any light on this for us? Is there a way to delete duplicate Cube jobs for a Cube build? Sorry – PS Queue Question somewhat related to the previous post…kind of…okay maybe not but can you help us?

Thanks!

David.

42. BriSmith says:

Hi David, I’ve not seen this but sounds like you are on the right tracks. I will ask around.  If I don’t find anything know already it might be useful to see some ULS logs – with cube building set to verbose.

Brian.