Visual Studio 2010/2012 Hands-On-Labs / Demo Scripts Upgraded to 2013

The Visual Studio 2013 ALM Virtual Machine was upgraded today to include the sample content and hands-on-labs / demo scripts which were previously introduced for Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 capabilities. This brings the total number of hands-on-labs and demo scripts which work with this VM to 24.

We also used this opportunity to address some fit-and-finish feedback we received on the initial release of the 2013 ALM VM, so it should be a nice improvement all around. As a reminder you can find the full list of ALM virtual machines here.

Enjoy!

1. Albert Ho says:

Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for the VM. Got a inquiry, are we going to have a hands on lab for VS 2013 Intellitrace Performance Indicator, e.g. setting up Monitoring Agent, to capture performance alert for web application, sharepoint 2010 and sharepoint 2013.

Cheers

2. Brian Keller says:

@Albert,

I don't have any plans for that specific scenario, no. Longer term we're working on some Application Insights demos which will have a bit to do with performance events and Microsoft Monitoring Agent, but that's not specific to SharePoint.

3. Ashley says:

Hi Brian,

Are there any DemoMates for these labs as there were for VS 2012?  We found these incredibly useful at our company as getting approval for installing these VMs is quite painful!

rgds,

Ashley

4. Brian Keller says:

Hi Ashley,

I'm glad you enjoyed the DemoMates. These are coming very soon – we're almost done with them. Give me a week or so and they should be ready and posted to my blog.

5. Jeff P says:

Trying the Generating Storyboards and Collecting Stakeholder Feedback HOL.. The Lab says to open Team Explorer, connected to Fabrikam, and Choose "Documents" … however Documents is not an option… where can I find the FF Storyboard Start power point on the VM?

6. Brian Keller says:

Hi Jeff,

Are you using the new version of the VM which was published Jan 9? The version before that did not have SharePoint enabled so you wouldn't have seen the Documents node. We only recently enabled that when we upgraded the 2010/2012 hands-on-labs to work with this VM.

7. Jeff P says:

Yes, I believe I downloaded the correct version yesterday.  Used the link at the top of this post, and downloaded that… is there an easy way for me to determine if I got the right one?

8. jeffpriz says:

it looks like the rest of the HOL should work if I just had the file.. is the starter file available for download anywhere?

9. Brian Keller says:

Hi Jeff,

No I don't have the file available anywhere outside of the VM. Can you open a browser in the VM and try to navigate to http://vsalm/FabrikamFiber? This should bring up a SharePoint portal. From there click on Shared Documents. You should see both versions of the Fabrikam Fiber storyboard.

10. jeffpriz says:

hmm, get http 404  on that address.. bummer. Maybe I'll try the VM download again….? and see if I can get a different result..  I just downloaded it yesterday evening though, so I have to believe it's the most up-to-date.. thanks for responding Brian! appreciate it!

11. Brian Keller says:

Jeff,

If you downloaded the VM this week then you have the right one.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you sure you are using the browser inside of the VM and not the one on your host PC?

12. Nate Ealton says:

Why is there an empty Virtual Machine and Virtual Hard Drive when I extract? What is WMIv1?

Am I missing a Virtual Hard Disk, should there be two VMs