Best small camera?

I’ve been on vaction this week, happily snapping photos with my old Canon PowerShot S110. This is a great camera, but I bought it when it first came out a few years ago and at 2.1 megapixels, the camera is starting to show it’s age. So I think that I want to find something smaller, higher resolution, and with a really good video capability. Is there anything like that availalbe for under $400? Are the newer PowerShot cameras still as good as the S110?

1. Yes!

The Canon S1IS ("Es one, eye Es")

is better! It’s 3 MP and has IS!

Image Stability for taking those long shutter speeds (in low availible light, such as indoor light w/o flash).

I bought mine new for about $315 in Oct 2004.

Email me at to discuss this.

Good luck

2. Trent Buckingham says:

Take a look at Sony DSC-L1.

3. David says:

The only small camera I care about is my Nokia 3650 🙂 And soon my Nokia 6681(as soon as it’s released and sold on ebay)!

4. DotWind says:

I got the Canon A75 a couple months ago which was for about $270 CAD. The quality is very decent at 3 Megapixels and also offers a lot of capabilites as it can be used in fully manual mode. I really love it.

5. S1 IS is a little bulky compared to other recent models but you do get a decent 10x zoom (here’s where IS really helps!) and nice 640×480 30 fps movies.

6. Bryan Peters says:

I’ve had the SD100 and SD110, and they’ve both been remarkable cameras. I’ve taken over 10,000 clubbing photos with them and they’re very durable. Unless you drop them in a lake or leave them at a bar.

I’m going to get the SD300 because a friend let me borrow hers and it’s just as good as the SD110, plus it has a larger screen and it’s actually smaller.

7. Omar Shahine says:

Canon PowerShot SD300. It’s awesome.

8. bao says:

There’s Steve’s DigiCams; the site has sample pictures for the cameras as well has highly detailed reviews.

9. Jeff says:

I bought the Canon S400 back in late 2003 as my "small" camera (I use a 10D for my more serious photography) and I love it. At 4 MP, I really don’t need anything higher res than that, and because it uses the same processing chip that the 10D uses, I know I’m getting good results. I love it. Canon has done a really good job in the last few years.

The S400 has been replaced with I think the SD400 or something like that. Model number vary by country. This is the site I trust for reviews:

10. . says:

Same for XD cards, overpriced because only 2 makers of them.

SD cards of CF are the way to go.

Konica Minolta and Cannon are great cameras.

11. . says:

Only Windoze WMP fanbois buy Sony products.

12. kripal singh says:

here is one of the good camera for 250$

Canon PowerShot S410 4MP Digital Elph with 3x Optical Zoom

don’t buy sony as they use the memory stick crap . this camera is now available at amazon for 250$ .and it has got very good ratings (4.5 out of 5). it;s got 3x optical zoom and 4mp .go for it .

13. GeorgeCh says:

I’ve been VERY happy with my FujiFilm E550. It does 6/12 mp! 3x zoom, uses AA batteries, and is very fast. Downside is the LCD viewfinder is somewhat hard to see in bright light, and no low-light focus illuminator. However, if you want to do tight crops with no (visible) loss of resolution, 12mp has a lot going for it.