Questions about Beta 1 or Express?

The Visual C++ PM team is looking to expand the FAQ for Visual C++ 2005 Beta 1 and for the Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta. Feel free to post your questions to this blog entry and we’ll try to get them in. If you haven’t done so already, you can download the Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta here. The Visual Studio 2005 Beta is available to MSDN Subscribers.

1. Mike says:

The system requirements for C++ Express beta say you need 1 or 2GB free on your hard drive(s), and from experience I know that the installation will fail if that requrement isn’t met (I have hundreds of MB free, but I haven’t been able to run Express yet because of it). Even with beta padding, this seems excessive for an 80MB download. Will this be tuned to a more realistic value?

2. Ivo says:

Seems like VC++ Express cannot be used for developing Win32 applications. The Platform SDK is missing, and the resource editor is missing. I can download the SDK from MSDN, will that enable the resource editor?

3. Sagar Indurkhya says:

Why can’t I create a class in VC++ Express using the generic class template. I know M$ is all about .NET and stuff, but I often use your compilers for more than .NET. Right now I am having to manually create header files, and etc.

4. Liu Ye says:

How can I Get text string from CEDIT controler?

I set a CString member variable of CEDIT controler in Dialog window, But I can’t Get text string from EDIT Controler. I use .GetAt(index) function that could occur error.

I use Visual C++ 6.0 (Windows XP).

( email: ye.liu@otpv.com.cn )

5. Liu Ye says:

How can I Get text string from CEDIT controler?

I use Visual C++ 6.0 (Windows XP).

( email: ye.liu@otpv.com.cn )

6. jackjoy says:

I really want to know.

7. Majid says:

Is it possible to create mixed MFC and C++/CLI projects in Express Edition?

8. sarab says:

Hi,

I recently recompiled some old C/c++ code with the new compiler in VS2005 Beta 1. It gave me warnings about deprecated api’s wrt string.h(str*) and stdio.h (fopen etc).

How long do you think MS will continue to support these api’s?

regards