Visual C++ 6 Service Pack 6 Available

A lot of stuff went on while I was away on vacation. Visual Studio 6, Service Pack 6 is now available for download, or you can order it on CD for the price of shipping.

Service Pack 6
Microsoft Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0, Visual C++ 6.0 with Visual SourceSafe 6.0d addresses known issues with Visual Basic 6.0, Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual Source Safe 6.0. This service pack does not contain fixes for Visual InterDev 6.0, Visual FoxPro 6.0, and Visual J++ 6.0, as the mainstream life-cycle for these products has ended.

1. Mark says:

2. jittinun says:

thanks

3. Bill Roper says:

Is there any possibility of a Visual Studio .NET 2003 service pack? We’ve upgraded to this version from VC++ 6 (and, sadly, are not in a position to downgrade to the earlier version), but are suffering from severe losses of productivity because the support for simple things like adding classes, variables, and methods does not work correctly. Since Whidbey has been substantially delayed, we’re being pretty badly hurt here.

4. lauch2 says:

Can anyone tell me whether this service pack (SP6) is the last service pack for Visual Studio 6.0?

5. t says:

Will there come a ProcessorPack for SP6 ?

6. Brian says:

I’m going to check into the questions asked here and I’ll be sure to post if I get any new information.

Thanks!

Brian

7. Max says:

update from SP5?

thanks for M$.(^_^)

8. Brian says:

Hi Max,

I’m not sure if any other SPs are required. I’ll try an install tonight and let you know.

Thanks!

Brian

9. Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP] says:

There is no processor pack for SP6 nor will there be. If you need the processor pack features you need to continue using SP5, or upgrade to VC7/7.1 which integrates the processor pack features directly.

10. Pit Schneider says:

i need this servicepack

thanxs

11. K.C.Korompis says:

I really need it, thanks.

12. James Dekker says:

I would like the "service pack 6" for MSVC++6

I understand that it is available for the price of shipping,I need an address and person to contact etc.

I saw this information at:

James Dekker

ph# 319-248-2817

13. Brian says:

Hey James,

All the details are here:

You can download or order it from there.

Cheers,

Brian

14. Anonymous says:

…which service pack you have installed? Or whether you have installed 6 or not, in case you forget? Help | About does not show any difference.

15. Bob says:

Broke my code. I included new.h in my source file and it caused an internal compiler error on line 69.

The line reads:

typedef unsigned int size_t;

Oh well, back to SP5.

16. Joseph Kennedy says:

Looks like strlen changed. Code that worked with SP5 now causes access violations in MSVCRTD.DLL (version 6.0.8797.0 was uplifted to 6.0.9782.0).

17. asdf says:

That’s really lame of microsoft to not make a processor pack for this.

18. Eddie Ho says:

Software Development employ Visual C++ 6

19. Brian says:

Two things. First, you can install this service pack directly on a new install of Visual Studio 6. No other service packs are required.

Second, to determine your current service pack level, you need to look up a registry value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftVisualStudio6.0ServicePacks

View the REG_DWORD latest value. The data value equals the service pack version.

Here’s the KB article about it.

I’ll pass on the other comments to the team. Thanks for the feedback!

Brian

20. Ramiro says:

Hi,

It seems to me that the package is somewhat broken.

When you execute and it unpack, you get only two HTML files (readme.htm and toc.htm), but inside, they have references to a contents.htm file and thus one can’t read the release notes before deciding this SP is worth the trouble.

VS6SP5 had also contents.htm, slerrors.htm and javah.htm, so it seems at least the first one is missing from SP6.

PS1: I downloaded the package on Monday Apr 12

PS2: In spite of other reports here I guess I will wait for some M$ move before putting my code @ risk by installin this stuff.

Ramiro

21. Fiona says:

I am looking for a software to install Microsoft Visual C++ 6 to my computer. Is this the software to do it or does this work WITH Microsoft Visual C++ 6?

22. Mike says:

Where do I find all the other service packs and descriptions of what each ones addressed? I’m looking to fix a particular problem I’m having with the GetWindowText() fxn. From what I’m reading here, it looks like I may not want SP6.

thx

23. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the information, that really helped!

24. asdf says:

GetWindowText is in user32.dll. I’d imagine you would need an OS service pack to fix that. And I would also bet the problem is with your code instead because that is an often used function.

25. lmacro says:

Thanks ms!

26. Ivo says:

This code fails to run with SP6. The index i is always between 0 and arr.GetCount(), but the bound check in the operator[] fails. The code runs fine with SP5 and Net 2003.

template<class T> class CArray

memset(m_Data,0,sizeof(T)*m_Count);

}

int GetCount( void ) const

{

return m_Count;

}

T &operator[]( int index )

{

if (index<0 || index>=m_Count)

OutputDebugString("errn");

else

arr.Del(i);

}

return 0;

}

27. Eleanor Rigby says:

I’m noticing no change whatsoever. Whereas SourceSafe and Visual Basic show changes, VC++, including the About, still show that it is in its original form. What’s up with that?

28. Programmer says:

Pisy of shit! No link from microsoft site, size is very small. Is it gamma-betta version or just on of hdds on M$ get screwed and new version appeired?

29. AJTP says:

This fails to install. I also get this in the error log:

[18:39:47 Start of Pass: 6]

Do not ship.

Error message to log

function that detects what VS products are installed in what language unable to function.

Microsoft Setup Log File Closed 06/25/04 18:39:51

I’m interested in the "Do not ship" bit!

30. renaud waldura says:

Same here, I get the same error as AJTP above.

[14:36:22 Start of Pass: 6]

Do not ship.

Error message to log

31. TIMES says:

Believe you, support you, I believe that you are right! ! ! I will make great efforts to look like your study! ! !

32. きっちん says:

Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5 を当てる。 Processor Pack を当てる。 ここまでの工程は Processor Pack のヘルプやヘッダのインストールに必要。 Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioVC98Binc2.dll をコピーしておく。 (以下 SP5 の c2.dll と呼ぶ) Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 6 を当てる。 SP6 の c2.dll のファイル名を変更する。 SP5 の c2.dll を元の場所に戻す。…

Skip to main content