New Beta of WordPerfect with Open XML and ODF support

Corel just announced the availability of a new beta version of WordPerfect that provides support for both Open XML as well as ODF. They provide for a number of choices in document formats, with Open XML and ODF being the two latest supported formats. http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071003005854&newsLang=en

Here is a quote from Nick Davies (VP and GM of graphics and productivity at Corel):

“Open standards are increasingly important for our customers, especially in government. A multi-format approach allows Corel to provide our customers with maximum compatibility and archival options, and harnesses our deep expertise in file formats to deliver flexible document solutions for our customers.”

I haven’t had a chance to play around with the beta, but I hope to soon. Another thing I noticed in the press release is that they have an integrated XML editor that allows you to work with custom XML as well. It would be cool to see how this integrates with Open XML’s custom XML support.

-Brian

1. Victor says:

>Corel just announced the availability of a new

>beta version of WordPerfect that provides

>support for both Open XML as well as ODF.

brian, when will Microsoft follow suit and support ODF natively ? thank you in advance

Victor

2. never says:

they wont!

3. Chris Clark says:

Hi Brian,

An interesting announcement on the OOXML of course, and I think there’s been some interest in how Corel managed it.  Did they use the ECMA 376 specification to achieve this, or did they get some technical assistance through prior arrangements?

4. Just wondering how Corel solved the issue with some of the special tabs in ODF. In http://libwpd.sf.net (module writerperfect) we are trying to do the same: generate odf from WP binary dump. So, might be interested to see. In OOXML, with w:ptab it will be kind of easier.

5. Just wondering how Corel solved the issue with some of the special tabs in ODF. In http://libwpd.sf.net (module writerperfect) we are trying to do the same: generate odf from WP binary dump. So, might be interested to see. In OOXML, with w:ptab it will be kind of easier.

6. dmahugh says:

Chris, regarding how Corel implemented their Open XML support, I can tell you that there was a Corel employee at one of our developer workshops a few months ago, but we’ve had no direct contact with them other than that.  I’m pretty sure they worked from the Ecma spec on their own.

7. Francis says:

I’d be interested to see if and how Corel manages to represent features present in its legacy file formats but absent in OOXML/ODF in either of those two formats. I.E., do they strive for 100% compatibility with legacy documents?

Unfortunately Corel seems to be a much more closed company than Microsoft–users have to sign an NDA to beta test!

8. Dave S. says:

I can’t help wondering if all XML is as strange as in .docx.

I’m in the midst of retrieving the plain text from a docx format file and have noticed that a sentence of three words can have 10 to 15 lines of XML related, unnecessary junk interspersed between them. The intervening XML mostly resets the font, line spacing, and all, which don’t change for almost the entire document, on a word-by-word basis.

"Responses: Lisa Sung" becomes:

<w:rFonts w:ascii="Times New Roman" w:hAnsi="Times New Roman" />

<w:b />

<w:i />

<w:sz w:val="24" />

</w:rPr>

<w:t xml:space="preserve">Sung</w:t>

If it’s a streaming format, wouldn’t only the delta’s be required? The only font used is Times New Roman (TNR)

I’m sure it’s somehow related to the way the text was entered and edited, but why preserve the editing instead of the result?

The XML table construction turned about 50 words into 50 pages of 10 point TNR glyphs.

Had I no hardcopy of it I’d be hard pressed to get through the document as is.

I think I had an easier time getting the text out of the binary format. The printable characters were easier to retreive.

9. nksingh says:

@Dave S.:

I don’t get the same thing when entering the text directly.  Maybe there’s something screwy about the template you’re trying to extract from?

It’s pretty clear from your example, though, that concatenating the w:t elements in your XML parse stream will give you what you want really easily.

10. Dave S. says:

nksingh –

I don’t know – as I wrote, it was something that was edited, not directly entered.

What I want is the most compact file. 20 characters expanded to 22 lines of text is not compact.

What I expect is that all text in a single block will be in a single block, and not have to write a parser to concatenate what I want. I also have to parse on the <w:p> element to separate the paragraphs, again, not what I want.

As has been made clear in numerous MS blog posts, the technology boost from the MSO-XML format is to allow embedding of other XML elements without disturbance to the MSO-XML document component, not to enable other applications to render the contents correctly.

11. John says:

Eduardo,

That’s awful.  Microsoft have ruined a standards organisation just to try to force through their standard.

But I’m sure Brian and the other MS guys here simply do not care.  Good luck trying to get any response from them on such things.

John

12. hAl says:

@John

Nice number crunching by Andy but as SC34 already had 28 P member start of 2007

2 out of his three example votes would have failed reaching beyoing 50% even without the members that joined in the last 6 months and the third one would have only made it only marginably. It seems that countries that joined fairly recently before the ODF voting in 2006 are also not very active in balllot except on some of them voting for the OOXML ballot.

13. It&#39;s been quite a year for those who have been blogging about the Open XML file formats. Here&#39;s