Updated XSDs available for the Office Open XML formats

Some pretty cool news to report today:

XSDs for the Office Open XML formats working draft 1.4

The XSDs for the Office Open XML formats working draft 1.4 are now available. You can grab them from here: http://www.ecma-international.org/news/Ecma%20TC45%20WD1.4%20Final%20Schemas.zip

As you probably noticed, we published the 1.4 draft in both PDF and .docx. The .docx files were created using the 1.4 version of the draft, which means you should be able to validate those files using these newly published schemas. Here are the parts of the draft in .docx form:

If you are interested in learning everything about the formats, but don’t want to get into the nitty gritty details that Part 4 contains, I would suggest reading Part 3 (the Primer). It’s a great overview of the formats, and isn’t nearly as large as part 4. Here’s where you can get the PDF version of Part 4: http://www.ecma-international.org/news/TC45_current_work/tc45-2006-337.pdf

Last day in my 20’s

I turn 30 tomorrow, and for the most part I was treating it as a non-event. After the Seahawk game on Sunday my wife told me that a friend of mine had called and asked if I wanted to meet up with him to go to the horse track (Emerald Downs). I said “sure: and headed down to pick him up and go over to the track for a few drinks and some gambling. He said some friends from work were having a party up in the club lounge and so we headed up there. The next thing I knew we walked into a suite and everyone was yelling “surprise!”

So, as only she could do, my wife pulled another one over on me. She had reserved a suite and invited all of our friends down for the day. We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening hanging out and watching the races, football games, etc. Pretty sweet day (and it made coming into work on Monday much more difficult than usual). Here’s a picture of me and my wife in the suite (wearing my “30th birthday” medal):

She also had one of the races named after me. They called it “Old Man Brian”, and I’m not sure if I agree with that yet. We also got to go down to the winner’s circle for the race and get our picture taken with the winning horse. I should have brought my camera down for that, the horses were amazing.

Not sure how many folks are from the northwest, but the view from Emerald Downs was really great. It was my first time to the horse track, and with a view like this I’m sure we’ll head back (even though I lost money on just about every race J):

Luna

I’m sorry this is turning into one of those blogs where I talk more about myself than about the actual technologies. I promise I’ll cut out the sappy stuff, but I did want to post a picture of the new puppy that’s resulted in a couple weeks now of no sleep (she’s worth it):

-Brian

1. Per Brian Jones, the XSDs are now available from Ecma for working draft 1.4 of the Office Open XML Formats…

2. me says:

Brian,

Happy birthday!

Leave it to friends to help you celebrate.

3. Ali says:

Happy birthday Brian!! Oh and cute puppy

4. Sandeep says:

Hi Brian,

For some reason, DOCX format files which you have posted on your blog are not opening up in office 2007 (beta 2) version. Keeps giving following error messgs:

"The microsoft office open XML file office open XML part 1- Fundamentals-1.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.

Details: Elements and attributes in restricted namespaces are not allowed.

Location: Part: /word/fontTable.xml, Line:2, Column: 158 "

Also, If I create a fresh Docx file from office 2007 (beta 2) and unzip it. Further, simply zip the file back (simply zip and unzip operation – withouth making any changes) and try to open it in MS word 2007 (beta 2) it wont open. Keeps giving file is corrupted.

A quick question, is microsoft going to slowly fade away .xml (WML) path and adopt DOCX completely or will they go parallel hand-in-hand.

Thank you for your time.

cheers,

5. Sandeep: for your second point, I know many people having encountered the same issue (unzip/zip resulting in corrupted file). It was always due to the fact that they zipped the unzipped folder instead of its content (you have to select the [Content_Types].xml, _rels, DocProps and  word folders to rebuild the archive).

Hope this will help…

6. Sandeep says:

Jean,

Thank you for your response. Now am able to zip/unzip docx and docm files with ease.

You wont be able to help me with part 1 and part 2 would you ? Am really in a mess out here.

Part 1:

For some reason, DOCX format files posted on Brian’s blog are not opening up in office 2007 (beta 2) version. Keeps giving following error messgs:

Details: Elements and attributes in restricted namespaces are not allowed.

Location: Part: /word/fontTable.xml, Line:2, Column: 158 "

Part 3:

Is microsoft going to slowly fade away .xml (WML) path and adopt DOCX completely or will they go parallel hand-in-hand?

Once again thank you for your help.

cheers,

7. Klaus RM says:

Happy birthday!

Nice picture of your puppy – now I want one too… 😉

8. hAl says:

Please go back to the old colour scheme !!!

9. hAl says:

Please go back to the old colour scheme !!!

10. Sandeep: I’m glad it helped you. On the two other questions, I’m sorry I’m not in Microsoft secrets 😉

Anyway, my feeling about your first issue is that the DOCX files posted by Brian are following the latest ECMA specs, which are not compatible with Word 2007 beta 2 (there must have been some little changes that make Word not recognize them). But that’s only an hypothesis… if it is true, we just have to wait for the next release of Word 2007 (beta 3 ?).

Jean

11. BrianJones says:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

hAl,

OK, we’re back with the old. 🙂

Sandeep,

Jean is correct, the .docx files I’ve posted are based off the 1.4 working draft of the Ecma standard. The formats have changed since Beta 2, which is why Beta 2 can’t open them. Ecma is getting close to wrapping everything up, and the final version of Office 2007 will be able to open the files.

The existing wordprocessingML format from Office2003 will continue to be supported, but it doesn’t have all the new features added in Word 2007.

-Brian

12. Those of you who using Beta 2 probably noticed that the .docx versions of the Ecma working draft 1.4…

13. Sandeep says:

Brian,

Thank you so much for clearing it up with me. We are planning to implement WML as concept of concepts which is in a manner similar to DITA implementation. We have been carrying out some tests to check the feasibility of WML 2007 with this concept and I must say we are getting very promising results.  We have been hearing rumors like microsoft will slowly fade away WML (2007 and 2003) standard and will adopt docx completely. If WML 2007 is deprecated by microsoft it would be a major set back to our research.

To my understanding, docx is WML (2007) in a way as what are pkg:part in WML is being represented as separate files containing references and content in some instances. Therefore it is not possible to get rid of WML 2007 and keep just docx .. or is it ?

Also, like 2003 reference schemas where we can validate the generated WML file, will microsoft release a copy of 2007 reference schemas so that we can validate WML 2007 too? As the current reference schemas (1.4 draft) I believe are ment to validate and support docx version of WML.

Can you please give your comments on above statements? Thank you once again. Much appreciated.

Oh! am sorry … BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY .. ROCK ON… 🙂

cheers,

Sandeep

14. Francis says:

A happy belated birthday–and my, what nice photos. Elevation change and a dog! Something I have missed terribly the last couple of years here (in Berlin, Germany.)

15. Arno Nel 2.0 says:

kbalertz : Description of the SharePoint Portal Server 2003 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: September

16. sandeep.rohilla says:

Hi Brian,

In your last post the schema references you gave, I believe they are to validate separate files (after unzipping docx). Is there any place from where I can grab hold of some sort of consolidated schema  where I can validate entire WML 2007 xml document (which is in following format)?

<pkg:package xmlns:relationships="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/package/2006/relationships&quot;

xmlns:pkg="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/xmlPackage"&gt;