Intro to Word XML Part 6: Locking down your XML structures

[This post has been removed due to legal concerns]

1. Julie says:

will look forward to meeting you at PDC. I now, by the way, have cfChunk working extensively in my automation solution… it’s very cool.

2. Inigo says:

We’re using permStart and permEnd in the WordML we’re generating – and they work fine on smaller documents. We’re generating tables that have some of the cells protected and some of the cells editable.

However, when generating a medium-size document (50 pages or so) with a lot of permStarts and permEnds (maybe 20 per page), then Word gets very, very slow. Five minutes to open/save the document (or seconds without the document protection), and even scrolling up and down the document is very slow.

Any suggestions to speed things up? We’ve tried applying protection to table columns, rather than individual cells, so there are fewer protected elements, but that doesn’t make any significant difference. At the moment, it looks like we’ll just have to remove all document protection.

3. Richard says:

Brian,

How easy will it be to use Word12 to create RSS feeds with channels to generate and post to weblogs etc.

R.

4. Simon says:

Brian,

Being able to lock down the styles is a great feature. But a couple of things could make it even better

1. Its currently a document wide property. Being able to limit to a set of styles for individual areas would be even better

2. When the style lock is on you can still paste in illegal formating! Is this a bug?

3. How can you tell whether the lock is on programatically? and is there an api method to switch the style lock separate from the protect method. For our app, we want to have style protection on for certain xml nodes and off for other nodes. Currently, the only way I can see of doing this is unprotecting the doc entirely and then reprotecting it. This can be slow and also produces screen flicker.

5. Ralph says:

Howdy,

So, lets say someone is thoughtless and inconsiderate enough to send you one of these protected documents. Can they be fixed by just editing the XML w:documentProtection tags out? If not, I suppose the best response is to just send it back with a rude note. It seems to me that one of the values of the XML file document format is that I can repair documents with nasties in them. For example, Microsoft Word is a much nicer word processor than WordPerfect, for the most part. But every once in a while, I have to open the Word document in WordPerfect, do a reveal codes and fix the document. It has always been a failing of Word that it makes the codes so hard to find. Will XML improve this, or is somevalidation done on the file that would make the fixes not really work?.

6. Craig Ringer says:

I’ve been looking for this sort of thing for some time. It’s great to see it turning up in Word, and I already have uses for it even in the small company I work for. Custom templates with my own fields are high on that list.

Interestingly, some tests with OpenOffice suggest that it currently ignores foreign markup entirely – rather a far cry from the extensive support for its use that Word seems to provide. From an app using a brand-new XML format that’s kind of disappointing. I wish I could buy some sort of "Word Lite" for our UNIX thin clients, since that’s just another way that it’s better than the alternatives.

7. kefei wu says:

Recently,I have a program needed word programming.I want to email to you if you have time. I come from china,thank you!your email addr????my email addr:wukefei007@163.com

8. Sascha says:

Locking down XML structure with documentProtection, permStart and permEnd works well, but I still have one problem: I can’t prevent the user from copying (hidden) XML tags from the custom schema (from the protected part) and pasting them to the unprotected part (between permStart and permEnd). That way, the user can create documents that don’t validate against the schema. I’d like to prevent the user from inserting custom xml tags into the document. Is this possible in any way?

Thanks,

Sascha

9. Andrej says:

Looks nice, but the implementation seems to be pretty buggy. For example, when you delete a row in a table in an unprotected area, word deletes the row and the surrounding custom tags, eventhough these tags are in a protected area. Other text between the row and the custom tags remains intact. Any idea how to avoid this?