‘Alt Tab’ for Visual Studio

Alt+tab is a common operation for Windows users.  Once a user masters the skill they can navigate between windows quickly.  Visual Studio has something similar but not with the same shortcut keys.  Crtl+Tab will bring up the window I show below and allow you navigate your windows quickly, faster then using the tabs when you have more then fit into the tab bar.

visual_studi_switch

1. Brock says:

Do you know of a way to disable the thumbnail image of the documents when you’re Alt-Tabbing? I find it less than useful and it eats up resources (IOW, makes Alt-Tab slower).

2. MSDN Archive says:

@Brock

If you are on Vista you can right click ‘My Computer’ and go to properties.  Then on the left side bar, click on ‘Advanced Settings’.  Then click the ‘Advanced’ tab.  Then click ‘Settings’ under the performance group box. And finally you are presented with bunch of check box for visual settings in Windows.  I don’t know which one you will need to disable.  But I know if that if just disable them all it will take the previews in the Alt+Tab in Windows and the previews in Crtl+Tab in Visual Studio.  Though, once you do find the one setting that accomplishes that you might have find it disables some other things as well.

3. Aali says:

ctrl-tab is a common operation also, it is/should be supported by all MDI applications. Not just a Visual Studio feature.

4. Brock says:

Oops, I had a typo in my comment – I did mean to say Ctrl-Tab not Alt-Tab. My comment was specifically about the preview in VS2008.

"But I know if that if just disable them all it will take the previews in the Alt+Tab in Windows and the previews in Crtl+Tab in Visual Studio."

Well, funny thing: I already had disabled the preview from Alt-Tab in Vista but the preview in VS2008 remains.

5. MSDN Archive says:

I disabled everything and it got rid of both previews.  Maybe the option to get rid of the Alt+Tab previews is different the option to get rid of the Crtl+Tab previews.  If you disable eveything in that windows do you see the same result as me(most Alt+Tab and Crtl+Tab don’t have previews)?

6. lothar says:

What about us still using Windows XP the Ctrl-Tab preview in VS 2008 is horribly slow

Comments are closed.