Enabling Firefox support in Visual Studio 2008

In the comments on a recent post a reader asked me how to enabled Firefox in Visual Studio 2008..   Luckily it is very easy..   You right click on the aspx page and select "Browser With"

Then select "FireFox"… You can also make it the default with the "Set as Default" button.

1. Henk says:

How is this possible in a web application? You don’t have the ‘Browse with..’option.

2. Henk says:

3. DarthSwian says:

Henk, I don’t know what application you’re using, but my VS 2008 allows Browse With for Web Applications.

4. BradA says:

Henk — If you set FireFox as your default browser, then just hitting F5 will run it rather than IE.

Hope that helps!

5. Matt says:

It may be that you are actually debugging when you right clicked.  If you stop debugging, then right click on an aspx page (not ascx) you should have that option.

6. Travis says:

That was easy, now I just need to figure out how to force Visual Studio to use the same tab in FF every time I debug a web app.  It creates a new tab when I start the debugging process.

7. My latest in a series of the weekly, or more often, summary of interesting links I come across related to Visual Studio. The Web Developer Team announced that the official IntelliSence documentation file, which provides Rich IntelliSense for jQuery ,

8. Henk says:

I’m using VWD Express 2008 SP1 to develop a MVC application

9. Andy says:

I don’t think that is possible IMHO. Please let me know if you find the solution. Appreciate that, thanks!

10. Alex D says:

Well, the solution is kinda awkward, but worked for me (I’m developing MVC too).

Close the current project and create a new Web solution, you should be able to see the "Browse with…" menu item now when you right-click on Default.aspx file. Set new default browser, do a test run, then close the empty solution, and reopen the MVC project.

Hope this helps

11. Alex D says:

Forgot to say, the dummy solution where you change it should be "ASP.NET Web site", not the ASP.NET MVC, since the latter is not treated as a website in VS2008

12. cryothic says:

Well, I can run my website, and it opens in firefox.

But closing the browser doesn’t trigger Visual Studio to stop running 🙁

13. James F says:

I finally got tired of IE hanging several times a day, and made the switch to FF.

When I close FF, Visual Studio 2008 does not stop debugging. I have to close the ASP.NET Developer server using the tray icon. Actually, there are two of those, on different ports. One will be the magic one, though I close both. Is this going to be how it is from now on?

14. Mark says:

The answer to the last two questions is yes :(. What’s happening is that FireFox launches each new browser window in the existing FireFox process if there is one. Try this: close any existing FF window and then launch your app in debug mode. Now exit it. Did Visual Studio drop out of run mode? It should have, because it saw the debugged process terminate. Try it again with a pre-existing FF window. Now it doesn’t drop out of run mode, because the process it attached to is still running. You can explicitly hit "Stop Debugging" at this point and it will drop out. Or you can close the pre-existing window too, and then VS will drop out of run mode.

I wish there were a reliable way to either get FF to create a new process for each window, or set IE as the browser for debugging my Visual Studio apps while leaving FF as my default browser for everything else.