Amazon just put Framework Design Guidelines 2nd Edition up for pre-order. If you are coming to the PDC in LA (and there are still slots open), you can be the first to buy a copy... Amazon and your local brick-and-mortar store will have them over the coming weeks.
What's New in the 2nd edition?
- Updated with new features from .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5
- Tons of new annotations from industry experts
- Extension methods
- Linq, Linq, Linq!!
- New Async Pattern
- Serialization guidelines
- Dependency Properties guidelines
- Significant updates to the Exceptions section
- Small things such as operator parameters, DateTimeOffset, Nullable
- Nearly every page has some sort of update from small grammar fixes to wording clarifications
I have the first edition, should I buy this one?
While I would of course love everyone to buy the 2nd edition (maybe give it to friends and family for Christmas), if you already have the first edition you made not need this one. We try very hard to make sure the guidelines we cannonize into the Framework Design Guidelines are timeless... As such no guidelines fundamentally changed. So if you are happy with the edition you have and you are not yet using or having questions about the new sections, then you can pass on edition 2.
Of course the first edition is likely to become a collectors item, so hold on to it even if you get the 2nd edition as well 😉