.NET Framework Client Profile

As I mentioned a few days ago, with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Beta we are taking some MAJOR steps toward making it easier for customers to acquire the .NET Framework. One of the ways we have done that is creating a client profile of the .NET Framework that includes only those parts of the framework that are relevant to client developers.  image

Several customers have asked me recently exactly what is in this subset.  Well the good news is it is a very large subset of what you need in a client application.  We profiled tons of client apps to be sure we got the right set.   But we’d also love your feedback.  Justin Van Patten has recently blogged out the official list of what is in this profile.   This includes WPF, WCF, WinForms, System.Data, etc…  Please check it out and give us your feedback.

Customers have also asked about the details of the development experience.  How do you target this profile?  How is it deployed? How does it work on different versions of Windows?  etc.   Troy Martez has done a great post that walks through all the details on targeting the .NET Framework Client Profile.  We’d love your feedback on this as well!

Enjoy!!

1. Mojtaba says:

i am waiting eagerly for final release.

2. Rory Becker says:

3. My latest in a series of the weekly, or more often, summary of interesting links I come across related to Visual Studio. Carlos Quintero posted links to help solve a System.UnauthorizedAccessException when registering a Visual Studio add-in for COM Interop

4. Rolando says:

5. BradA says:

>> Wouldn’t it make more sense to detail what is going to be removed/missing from the client version of the framework which would otherwise be present in the full set.

Rory – You make a good point… I will see if we can get that posted as well.

6. BradA says:

>>>I would also like to hear news about the Windows Server Core version of the .net framework

Rolando – Yes!  We are also actively working on this…  Nothing I can announce right now, but it is certainly a priority!

7. Rather than place the links to the most recent C# team content directly in Community Convergence , I

8. Justin Van Patten from the BCL Team has put out an official list of what assemblies will be included

9. Justin Van Patten from the BCL Team has put out an official list of what assemblies will be included

10. Sam Gentile says:

11. Ekin says:

Hi,Brad,

I am working in Application Compatibility team, and i want to know what different between .NET FX 3.5 SP1 and .NET FX Client SKU.  because i need to give a presentation to my team.

Could you share some docs to me. you can reach me by this alias: v-yequnj

thanks in advance.

12. BradA says:

Ekin – check out this link and let me know if that covers it for you or not.. http://blogs.msdn.com/bclteam/archive/2008/05/21/net-framework-client-profile-justin-van-patten.aspx

If you have specific questions you can email me directly

13. Justin Van Patten from the BCL Team has put out an official list of what assemblies will be included in the RTM of the .NET Framework Client Profile. The usual suspects are there, and as expected, server-side technologies like ASP.NET are not. Note that

14. Qwe says:

> Windows Server Core version of the .net

> framework

Very, very bad idea to pollute what should be a core OS functionality without all the WMI + 50 services bloat with .NET. If you do introduce it please, please, make it always optional.. core needs to be cut down much, much further to compete with Linux performance on network, filesystem and more..

15. BradA says:

Yes Qwe — the plan is to make it optional.

16. Co-Workers Mark Bosley is finding out that Reflector is the Swiss Knife of Workflow programming Meanwhile, resident Neuron genius David Pallmann goes through the story of being " Licensed to WSDL " 🙂 Computer Languages/Functional Languages/IronRuby

Skip to main content