VS 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5 RTM

We made it, just in time for your turkey-day fun!   You can go out and download VS 2008 Express (for FREE) right now and .NET Framework 3.5…

Here is just a few things I love about this release… Please add your own:

1. VS 2008 fully supports multi-targeting… meaning you can use the new tool to work on your existing web applications and VS2005 projects

2. AJAX Development is first class.  The ASP.NET AJAX functionality is built into the framework and the IDE fully support JavaScript debugging and JavaScript Intellisense

3. Linq, Linq and Linq…  Data access gets way easier with the LINQ support in VS 2008, C#, VB and the platform.

4. Visual design experience in VS for building WPF based applications

5. Debug into the .NET Framework source code

I’d love to see your list… what do you think is great about VS 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5??

1. We made it, just in time for your turkey-day fun! You can go out and download VS 2008 Express (for FREE

2. Matthew says:

Are we able to develop Silverlight 1.1 apps with VS 2008 Express? Or do we need a paid edition?

3. nmbtiger says:

just tested, VS2008 makes a lot of things a lot of easier compare to VS 2005, it’s faster as well.

4. Hi,

Good to know that you guys are making progress so fast. Congratulations on your success. Shall let you know the experience with the new ide soon. We are looking forward for the improvements in XABP related features.

Thanks,

Ravi Pasumarthy

5. JudahGabriel says:

Extension methods, automatic properties, initializer syntax, lambdas, Expression<>, System.AddIn, ReaderWriterSlim…so many great things packed into this release. Woohooo!

6. VS 2008 リリースについては様々なブロガーの方が紹介されていますね。 Brad Abrams ではVWD に関する投稿がされていました。 VS 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5

7. BradA says:

>Are we able to develop Silverlight 1.1 apps with VS >2008 Express? Or do we need a paid edition?

When we ship the Silverlight tools for VS, they will be an addon to the free VS Express as well as the VS Pro, and above..

8. consumer4beta@hotmail.com says:

I have .NET 3.0 installed (so 2.0 as well) and all the patches/security updates for both. Now, I want to install .NET 3.5. To reduce the MSI/%windir%installer footprint/size taken on the HDD, should I uninstall .NET 3.0/2.0 and then install 3.5? Also, I noticed SP1s for 2.0 and 3.0. Does 3.5 include all the latest updated SP1 files for 2.0/3.0? Also, while uninstalling, should I uninstall .NET 2.0 and 3.0 separately or just uninstalling 3.0 will also remove 2.0? Also, .NET 3.0 was around 50 MB. In .NET 3.5 (dotnetfx35.exe), I noticed all the 64-bit versions are also included in the redistributable. Why doesn’t MS keep 32-bit and 64-bit redistributables separate? Downloading 200 MB is a bit painful, and the bootstrapper/internet setup is not convenient/resumable for slow dial-up connections.

9. Tim says:

I like the product and appreciate Microsoft shipping a powerful and free version.

Still, I am disapointed by the DataPager.  It is, according to the introductory video, intended to support paging in the ListView Control–which in the beta version at least, already has paging!  (True, the DataPager is a bit more flexible.)

Due to its speed, the Repeater is still a useful and important control, especially for those blog-like applications produced so readily using PHP, Ruby, and other ASP.Net rivals.  And yet, the Repeater (and Datalist, which has been somewhat superseded by the ListView) still do not have built-in paging–which is required if they are to prove useful in working with large volumes of data.  The DataPager is really not that useful–but it could have been.

Still, I’m grateful for the wonderful free product.

10. Carl says:

Will it cause any problems installing visual web dev exp 2007 and .NET 3.5 on my vista workstation with visual studio 2005? Will they work side by side ok?

11. Kyle says:

Carl,

I have Visual Studio 2005 and Web Developer 2008 running side-by-side on Windows XP and everything seems to be okay. It may be different for you on Vista, though.

12. redsolo says:

In the Express version, have you opted to include unit testing support? Or is that only for real developers?

13. Mark Sowul says:

Sadly, even "Professional" developers don’t get unit testing; only the expensive Team Suite gets Unit Tests, Performance Analysis, and Reliability Analysis (FxCop).

Apparently only those willing to spend $5000 need to develop fast and reliable software.

14. satyadev says:

Hi,

This is really great job!, we will  have a look on IDE 2008 and shere our experience with you.. very soon.

Thanks,

satyadev

15. rbonser says:

I just upgraded to VS2008.  I was very excited about the Javascript debugging, however, I find that it is absolutely no different than what I could do in VS2005??  I still have to turn on Script debugging in my browser (a major pain since almost every site out there has javascript errors and I get the annoying popup when I browse to them about debugging).

I could alway set breakpoints in VS2005 and look at variable values, change values, etc.  I never needed the likes of Firebug, Web Development Helper, Fiddler, etc.,  as this blog states.

I don’t see where VS2008 has added anything to my Javascript debugging experience.

16. Chyld Medford says:

Visual Studio 2008 is incredible.  Thanks guys!

17. Martin says:

Is it just me or is the IDE a bit slow? For me it seems slower than beta 2, especially when switching between opened files

18. Hi Brad.

It seems that JavaScript intellisense does not work for us.

When we have a prototype based class and we write the word "this." it gives us just the 6 generic methods of the object instead of listing all of the class methods. This ofcourse also makes the ///<reference> tag not to work.

It happen also with the Client Behaviour template in VS so it’s not because of problems in our JavaScript files.

We installed VS08 RTM on a Vista Machine that had VS2005 installed on it, but no previews/beta versions of VS2008.

When we open any JS file, it seems that for two seconds we get full colors for the file (the ///<reference> tag for example is colored in red and blue), but than everything goes to the normal black and green experience we had in VS2005.

I also checked the registry hack that was posted for Beta2 and everything is seemd to be registered OK.

Any way how to solve this?

19. AJMastrean says:

Is there an offline download? I am interested in installing into a virtual machine without internet access.

20. As I mentioned last month , VS 2008 fully supports building applications for .NET Framework 2.0… This

21. As I mentioned last month , VS 2008 fully supports building applications for .NET Framework 2.0… This

22. With .NET Framework 3.5 and VS2008 shipping just over a month ago , I was very excited to see a number

23. With .NET Framework 3.5 and VS2008 shipping just over a month ago , I was very excited to see a number

24. Dave Gruska says:

@Noticiax externas – If you still need it, there’s an offline version here:

It’s rather large (197mb), as it includes all versions (x86,  x64, etc.).

25. Amyn says:

Please be aware of certain issues in VS 2008

It is one of the most frustating issues that has yet to be resolved.  The HTML editor constantly freezes

For more info see

26. Programming says:

27. Dave says:

28. BradA says:

>>>> I upgraded a project ( VB and C# ) from VS2005 to VS2008 release version.  The code is so slow now it is unusable. Program startup that used to takes 5 seconds now takes over 5 minutes. Simple ‘next row’ operation now takes 3 minutes as opposed to < .5 seconds.

Dave —

I am sorry to hear you are having a problem..  I am not sure what could be causing this… if you have a small repro you can send me please do!

thanks