Visual Studio in Second Life

Did you know that Microsoft is investing in Second Life?  That is right… we recently bought an island and have developed it with some really cool stuff.

Check out the details here https://www.visualstudioisland.com/

I am all for new, cutting edge stuff, so I volunteered to do a talk in the brand new auditorium we build there on the island.  Not sure exactly what I am going to say yet, or really how I am going to say it… any tips would be really helpful as I am brand new to Second Life…

It turns out there is quite a bit going on the island. Check out of few events:

All times are PST….

7/31 4:30 PM – Amanda Silver from VB fame will give a talk on Silverlight and VB.NET

8/21 4:00 PM – “Summer Luau” party… I can’t wait to see what this is like 😉

8/30 3:00PM – Brad Abrams ASP.NET AJAX to Silverlight talk

BTW, please look me up if you go to any of these… I am “Drab Beck” in the game… you gotta love this Second Life stuff!

1. Hristo Kosev says:

It looks like Microsoft is investing in Second Life and soon several events will take place on the Visual…

2. It would be so nice if SL would support Vista. I have several Vista-machines from different brands with different graphic cards. It’s a no go….

3. hibri says:

SL does run on Vista, i run it on a GeforceGo 7600 card. no problems so far. and there is a .Net developers group in SL

4. This is the craziest (and the coolest) idea I have heard of in last couple of months. If you want to "speak in real" with Brad Adams go to MS island and find ‘Drab Beck’. I am planning to join there too, as soon I get how to do that 🙂

Way cool!

5. Pablo Neruda says:

SL was confirmed to work on Vista since the Vista Beta days

6. J.D. Meridth says:

I was reading Brad Abrams blog entry today about Visual Studio Island and decided to check it out. This

7. Andrew Webb says:

At the time of writing, the SL client is not rated for Vista.  What I do is set Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode on the EXE, which puts Vista into its Basic graphics mode as opposed to Aero.  It also helps to always have the latest device drivers for your graphics card.

BTW: the clients are getting better all the time…  1.1.72.0 is way more stable than the first few clients I had to use.  And the next major release is slated to have a number of serious memory leaks fixed.

Bear in mind that the whole of SL is still bleeding edge…  it’s flaky but it’s great.  And the stability is coming release by release.

8. Tad Anderson says:

Worth checking out.  Especially if your company won’t pay to send you to events:

9. SharePoint 2003 Image Viewer Webpart written in Silverlight [Via: Psychlist1972 ] Visual Studio in Second…

10. Ray says:

Seems the site https://www.visualstudioisland.com/ is offline.

Is it being updated?

Regards

Chayan Ray

11. BradA says:

We got it back up now.. Thanks for the report.

12. Link Listing – July 5, 2007

13. What better combination could you ask for? Earlier I posted about Visual Studio in SecondLife .. I thought

14. Blogs says: