From Atlas to the ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions

As you saw from ScottGu’s blog, we gave Atlas an official name and, in response to strong customer feedback, have it on a plan to ship 1.0 around the end of the year on top of VS2005 and ASP.NET 2.0.   The team is super focused on this goal and I am very pumped to be able to deliver it!

1. David Betz says:

2. shadytrees says:

> People are actually encouraging the use of the term Ajax?  I’m still calling it remote scripting…

Heh, people should take a page from Einstein and call it spooky code at a distance.

3. Nathan Moore says:

Does the microsoft marketing department spend all it’s time to come up with crap names?  The only thing that keeps me from retching is that they didn’t feel the need to tack a ‘Live’ on the end.

4. vikram says:

Good to hear that the new ATLAS framewor will sit on top of the VS 2005 and will be shipped by the end of the year.

5. Shawn Oster says:

Send me the name of whomever first named it ‘Atlas’ so I can send them a bottle of whiskey so they can drown their shattered dreams because I know they must have died a little on the inside when ‘Atlas’ went through the grinder and got turned into a bland Microsoft paste.

You guys do good work but seriously, does some small minded creature get some kind of perverse pleasure from sucking the soul out anything that doesn’t sound like it came from a Borg training manual.  Is this all some sort of super-secret AI project and you have a computer naming all these projects?

You may think this is a trivial thing to complain about but guess what, I think working on "Atlas" sounds like fun.  Sounds like a group of passionate and energetic people.  On the other hand working on "ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions" sounds like the most boring, soul-crushing, mind-numbing, we’re all cogs in the machine type of project in which I’d give maybe all of 30% of my focus to.  I’d wear an Atlas t-shirt while drinking beers down at the pub while those guys over in the ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions team wear ill-fitting dockers with pleats and whatever their mother has ironed for them the night before.

You can tell us, did you weep?  Just a little?  I bet you did.

6. Amit Lohogaonkar says:

Hi,

Recently we are trying to use atlas in our existing web based application.Sometimes it shows unknown errors.

We resolved almost all issues with it.

1>We removed response.write statements with this.page.registerclientscriptblock()

2>Put javascript in cdata tags

3>Corrected all syntax errors in html,javascript,css,c# using fiddler.

4>checked for session,application variables timeouts

Is this approach correct or there are additional things we can do

mail me at lohogaonkaramit@yahoo.com

7. Lee Fear says:

Why the name change!! This is the worst name change since Nintento Revolution became wii!!!

Atlas was a cool name!

8. melik says:

Geee, MS bashers are nearly as bad as Bush bashers???

9. Adam Clotfelter says:

>> It’s a name for a framework, that only geeky developers will work with?? Who cares what it’s called.

The Geeks

10. So it’s official.  Atlas now has a standard lame name, "ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions".

…and thus,…

11. It doesn’t matter how to call Atlas if there is no support for other browsers except IE. Average support for FireFox, bad for Safari (a lot of bugs) and no suport for many other browsers — can’t rely on such a toolkit.

Take better a closer look at Ajaxium.

<a href="http://www.ajaxium.com/ajax-for-asp.net.aspx">Ajaxium – AJAX ASP.NET framework</a>

12. BradA says:

The Ajax Extensions (aka Atlas) does fully support all the mainstream browsers.. FireFox, Safari, IE… As others get more broadly used we will add specific support for them… I’d love to hear about bugs so we can go address them!

thanks