What customers ultimately buy…

Amazon has a cool new feature on many of there pages called “What do customers ultimately buy after viewing items like this?”

Seems pretty self-explanatory… After folks view one item, what item do the eventually buy… Joe Wikert noticed this as well and calls it “Wisdom of the masses”…

I guess it might be, but I am struggling with what it might mean about the Framework Design Guidelines, that Jeff’s CLR via C# is more attractive to 41% of those that visit the Framework Design Guidelines page…   Here is the snap-shot as of tonight:

41% buy

CLR via C#, Second Edition by Jeffrey Richter $37.79

25% buy the item featured on this page:

Framework Design Guidelines by Krzysztof Cwalina $44.99

15% buy

Programming Windows Presentation Foundation by Chris Sells $26.37

6% buy

Developing Application Frameworks in .NET by Xin Chen $31.49

6% buy

Enterprise Solution Patterns Using Microsoft .Net: Version 2.0 : Patterns & Practices by Microsoft Corporation $18.89

Does it mean that for most folks looking at this page, CLR via C# is a better choice?  (That maybe, Jeff’s book is certainly more general in nature than the FDG).

If you look at Jeff’s book, 17% of folks eventually bought the FDG… If you compare our relative Amazon sales ranks, it actually might be the case that Jeff is sending more business my way than I am him his 😉

And check out Chris Sells’ book.. 44% of folks eventually buy Jeff’s book, 26% mine followed by 15% staying right there and clicking “Add to Shopping Cart”.  The thing I think is way cool, is that it seems there are a set of folks out there trying to collect the “full WinFX” trumpery with

WPF   Programming Windows Presentation Foundation

WCF –   Programming INDIGO

WF –     Presenting Windows Workflow Foundation

What I would really like to know, is for what books is FDG more likely to be bought?  Would that tell me some information about who is finding out about the FDG and possibly where some untapped market might be?

Oh, and one other thing, notice these percentages never add up to 100… it must be the long tail thing.. I’d love to know what is there… A new type of google-weirdo thing where I’ll find out a certain percentage of folks opted to not buy my book, but they bought Elite Classic Aviator Sunglasses Glass Lens – 1041 Gunmetal/Emerald or Scrubs – The Complete Second Season or Up

At any rate, it is good to know Amazon is watching this data.. I notice they have a few package deals to offer if you are having trouble making a call… you want-to-bet that these are automatically created based on the same data?  Check out the Better Together option on each page.

Enjoy it!

1. davkean says:

Don’t be fooled by the ‘Better Together’ package, the goods are the still the same price.

2. Chris Nahr says:

"CLR via C#" is definitely a better choice than your book if you haven’t read it yet… but that’s because it’s a better choice than ANY other .NET book!  Every .NET developer ought to have read it before anything else, and specifically before an advanced book on design guidelines like yours.

That said, I definitely recommend that people read "Design Guidelines" right after "CLR via C#". 🙂

3. Peter Ritchie says:

Sounds like you should be getting a cut of the sales of Jeff’s book, apparently you’re helping sell it 🙂

4. BradA says:

Thanks Peter… yes, I agree.. I will mention that to Jeff next time I see him 😉

5. zzz says:

My first impresssion / subjective reasoning of the books from a .NET Mort standpoint, without reading reviews or further detail.

clr via C#:

nicer cover, not as crowded looking

list price high, actual price low ("hey i get it cheap!")

5 star vs 4.5 star

"Framework Design Guidelines"

Am I designing a framework … .. No

"CLR via C#"

Well that is equally bad, it sounds like "Am I programming a CLR through C#? What was that CLR thing again, I only program Forms/Xyz..??"

Also there are no previews of the content avail or linked. I’d like to see first 15 pages to see if it’s something I’d actually like reading. Also a PDF/CHM download for half the price would satisfy the digital geek and make me think I am "saving the rainforest" or whatever and help convince that I am not being ripped off by middlemen if the digital version is considerably cheaper than printed one.

6. GrammarPolice says:

What customers *ultimately* buy.  And you work for MS?

7. BradA says:

Utz — good call.. thanks.. I will fix it..

8. Sajay says:

WCF –   Presenting Windows Workflow Foundation

WF –     Programming INDIGO

I think you got them mixed up

9. BradA says:

Utz — thanks! fixed…

10. tobint says:

I loved both the books, but looking at it from an uninformed developer who wants to get best bang for the buck, I’d probably buy Richter’s book because:

1. The title "appears" more like a developer’s book while yours would connote architecture or design.

2. Jeff has made a great name for himself. I will buy anything that man publishes because he has never let me down since I started reading his stuff in the Win3.1 days.

3. Five years ago, I would never buy anything MS press published with few exceptions. Today, MS Press is actually starting to gain a decent reputation, IMO.  People DO occasionally judge a book by its cover and its publisher.