WinFX Nov CTP for use with VS2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 RTM

At long last we have a WinFX build to release that works great with “Whidbey” RTM.    Here is the low-down:

1. Uninstall any previous release (you can use the uninstall tool)

2. Download and install WinFX Runtime bits

3. Download and install the SDK.  Note this is a rather large ISO image this time, we will make the install experience MUCH better in the future.  For now we recommend  using the Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel for Windows XP tool to mount the ISO image file virtually as CD-ROM devices without burning the image to a DVD.  Notice, the VS support does require the SDK to be installed.

4. Download and install the VS support for WinFX

Thanks and Enjoy!

1. Keeron Modi says:

The link for VS extensions for Winfx Nov CTP is not working (either your blog, or Microsof’ts page).

– Keeron

2. Tyler Brown says:

Johann, that link appears to be for Visual Studio Extension for Windows Workflow Foundation, not just WinFX Extensions.

3. Johann MacDonagh says:

I apologize. I saw the word WinFX and figured it was for both. I guess we’ll just have to wait then 😉

4. Brad, it appears Virtual CD Mount doesn’t work with .img files…

Personally, I just use WinRAR to extract the .img file to disk, then install from there. Seems to work fine.

5. Oops, I take that last comment back. WinRAR can’t unpack the .img file, as it apparently can’t understand the file system. (Oddly enough, this was the first time I haven’t been able to unpack an .img file with WinRAR).

Anyways, I downloaded the free Daemon Tools and it’s installing as I write this. Thanks Brad for the news and the links, I’m giddy to play with this one!

6. tmalone says:

For what it’s worth, you can simply rename the downloaded file to .iso and it will mount just fine…. (Or use the Daemon tools like you suggest)

I’ve been very impressed with this download "suite". I can finally play with this stuff including Workflow foundation in RTM! Woo Hoo!!

7. Haroon Saeed says:

Brad, I downloaded the complete SDK. But it gives me the following error on running XAMLPad.

An Un-Handled System.IO.FileNotFoundException has occured in XAMLPad.exe, Other tools like ILDASM are running fine.

So do u know some work around this problem ? which file might be possibly missing ?

8. Mike says:

Is there an install package for the WinFX bits that is complete (i.e. not an .exe that then downloads the bits during installation). I’m installing it on a closed network w/o internet access.

9. Annie Wang says:

To reply to Mike’s question:

You can download the full redist package (winfxrx.exe) from the download center then install it on the machine without the Internet access using that package. The link is on the instruction section on the download page (

Here is the snipet from the download page:

Installing the WinFX Runtime Components – November CTP;

To start the installation process, you will need to run the download file; this will initiate the installation of the WinFX Runtime Components November CTP; If you have troubles with the download manager, you can download the entire package for x86 or for x64 which are both .EXE files.

Hope this helps. Annie.