Have you installed VS Express Edition?

One of the very cool things about the VS 2005 Express Edition for us inside the big house is that users have the option to anonymously upload data about their install experience automatically…. The goal is the use this data to help the install experience get better.

Given that this is our first real experience with this kind of data we are having a bit of a challenge interpreting what the results really mean and I would like to (via a small sample) correlate that data with anecdotal reports.  So, please drop a comment here and tell me about your VS 2005 Express install experience. Did you get it installed successfully?  How many times did you have to restart the installer (and for what reasons) to get it installed?

Thanks

1. Oisin Grehan says:

FYI: I installed c# express, web express and then VS2005 beta 2 in that order, and they all installed flawlessly. It was done on a relatively fresh XP/sp2 box.

2. Oisin Grehan says:

3. Oisin Grehan says:

4. Oisin Grehan says:

oops, blogs.msdn.com kept giving me an error page after each comment submission. It appears that it was silently succeeding anyway. Doh.

– Oisin

5. balajik says:

Hi Brad,

I am not sure if this is a known issue or if this has been documented anywhere. But, i downloaded VC# Express and VWD Express products from the links given in Hong Gao’s blog(http://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/19/409660.aspx).

I didn’t use the bootstrapper. Instead i used the entire product.

When i ran those 2 setup files, i got ‘Error 1308, source file not found’ and it asked me to verify the existence of a host of files in Documents and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsTempIXP000.TMP. There were only 2 files – a cab file and a windows installer file in there.

I kept ignoring those errors and both the products still managed to get installed. Is this a correct installation???

6. VSExpress says:

Only installing from bootstrapper (e.g. VB Express Bootstrapper http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/1/C/E1C75061-A229-49EA-BD0C-D0A7A22E8BA4/vbsetup.exe ) is supported setup. Installing from this link http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/5/7/057400B0-2895-4BB8-AE86-0975F066D783/Ixpvb.exe is not supported.

7. I installed first VC# Express and then VWD Express and I had no errors during installation. But it seems like VC# Express did not install the VS 2005 Image Library for some reason.

8. balajik says:

Alright VSExpress. I guess, i’ll uninstall the 2 express products and then re-install them using the bootstrapper. Thank You.

9. balajik says:

Like i mentioned above, i had installed a couple of express products NOT using the bootstrapper.

Now, when i tried to uninstall VCS & VWD express editions using Add/Remove programs, it said that they might have already been removed from my computer and asked me if i want to remove those entries from Add/Remove Programs. I said yes but the fact is that VCSE & VWDE are still installed in my machine! Anyways, i am now uninstalling VCSE using the bootstrapper and it is now downloading the express editon. Let me see what’s my experience from here.

10. balajik says:

The bootstrapper successfully uninstalled and reinstalled the express editions. But the files that the bootstrapper downloaded were in fact Ixpvcs.exe and Ixpwd.exe. No change in them except that the bootstrapper didn’t throw up any errors while installing the products. What’s more, even my earlier product activations held good for the new installations.

11. Eric says:

Installed Beta 2 of VCS Express (with SQL Server 2005 Express). Everything went flawlessly. I haven’t tried uninstalling.

12. Doug Ferguson says:

Express installed great. The only puzzling part is where SQL Express does a check and gives a warning for hardware requirements but offers no further explanation of the warning.

13. BruceN says:

I foolishly mounted the downloaded image into Daemon Tools and ran the setup from there on my laptop. After the framework installed, I rebooted and immediately ran into problems because the installer kicked in before the image mounted. Cancelling the setup left the framework installed, and once I’d burnt a real cd and restarted, everything went just fine. I had zero hassles installing on my main dev box (not the laptop).

14. Chui Tey says:

After uninstalling the C# express, everytime VB6 started, it tried to reinstall C# express. It had injected some dependency into my VB6 install.