WinFX CTP here we come…

As Rudder say, we are well on our way to getting the first combined CTP drop of Indigo and Avalon out the door.    It is a baby-step on the way to the final release, but an important baby step.  While the install experience is not as seamless as we would like, the drop does runs great on XPโ€ฆ I canโ€™t wait to see the apps you folks come up that use the cool features of Indigo and Avalon together.  Please send me your links when you get an app up, Iโ€™d love to plug it here ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Mario Goebbels says:

To which VS2005 release will it be tailored? Because it’s slightly disappointing right now that I can’t run the december CTP of VS in parallel with Avalon.

2. James Hancock says:

Are we going to get a RAD developement tool for Avalon stuff soon? I mean it basically needs to be written like Flash’s interface etc. It needs to be in the vs.net 2005 IDE too…

3. Mujtaba Syed says:

Mario,

Eric Rudder mentioned that the WinFX CTP (Avalon + Indigo) will be released along with a compatible VS 2005 CTP.

I also heard that WinFX has a new name now – WAP or Windows API.

Mujtaba.

4. Over by dead body! We are not going to call it WAPโ€ฆ

5. Keith Hill says:

WAP? Blech. I really like the WinFX (Windows Framework) name.

6. Mujtaba Syed says:

๐Ÿ™‚ I may have mis-heard.

Anyways, as long as it keeps improving, most people won’t care what’s it called – WinFX, managed Win32/64 SDK, platform SDK, or whatever.

7. WAP? WAPI? Might as well call it Common Runtime Application Programming Interface ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep it WinFX, the name sticks and sounds goods. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Kevin Daly says:

I like WinFX (at least better than the alternatives mentioned).

The only problem with it is that it’s *very* close to WinFS when you say it.

9. mihailik says:

Three questions on three features:

Are there Video/Audio support?

Are there Printing support?

Are there Rich-Text support?

10. I concur with Kevin on that one. This came up some time ago when someone at MSFT asked on their blogs about suggestions (maybe it was this one?), and it still catches me to this day. It’s kind of odd that two of the three pillars have codenames, but third doesn’t and is very similar to the full API (and potentially the OS name). Too bad the .Net suffix got beaten to death prematurely, because "Storage/Display/Communication.Net" (whatever the pillars’ true names would be + ".Net") would have actually deserved to have the ".Net" monikor.

On the API name, I’m still putting my money on Longhorn being ultimately called "Windows FX" would have been better than calling the API WinFX, IMO, given what Aero is supposed to be. But then, "FX" *also* got beaten to death a couple of years ago. It’s a testament to the versatility and durability of the letter ‘X’, I guess ๐Ÿ™‚