Trend of .NET Framework installations

Someone recently asked me for information on the trend of .NET Framework installations.  Here is what I dug up… I thought you might be interested:

1.      More than 120M copies of the .NET Framework were downloaded and installed (using either Microsoft downloads or Windows Update)

2.      More than 85% of new consumer PCs sold in 2004 had the framework installed. More than 58% of business PC had the .NET Framework preinstalled or preloaded

3.      Every new HP consumer imaging device (printer/scanner/camera) comes with managed application; Every new Microsoft Intellipoint mouse software CD ships with the .NET Framework

4.      Between Q303 and Q204 there was more than 30% increase in the number of .NET Framework installations in the business segment.

5.      Most of the installations of the .NET Framework are in Windows XP and Windows 2000 machines.

6.      More than 95% of the people that run Microsoft Internet Explorer have version 5 or newer.

7.      Windows 98 and Windows ME are less than third of the consumer market PCs

Do you have thoughts on what indicates .NET Framework installation trends?

1. How about web stats analysis – IE’s user agent presents the version installed. A query run against the Microsoft stats should give a fairly good figure…

2. A company I worked for released a consumer oriented application that was .NET based, after a lot of concern about what adding the framework overhead to the setup would do.

Now that the app has been out for 6 months or so, and with tens of thousands of downloads, there have been almost no complaints about the overhead of the framework. I’m guessing most users either had it already, or didn’t mind the download too much.

Just one data point..

3. Ian Ringrose says:

What is the spread between versions of the .NET framework?

E.g. is it worth targeting an application to version 1 rather then version 1.1.

How first did version 1.1 spread after it come out? They may help to predict the spread of version 2.

ian at ringrose dot name

4. Sorry, I don’t have the data on V1.1 spread… Let me see what i can dig up

5. Jeff Parker says:

I would assume XP service pack 2 had a lot to do with this as well didn’t it?

6. <p>&lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/6/b/46b36f20-ce83-4dcf-b839-8fcdde7bd4db/TAB.pdf&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;Testing .NET application blocks&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://blog

7. Amit Bahree says:

Well, would you be able to track of the 120m downloads which ones were voluntary and the others pushed out to the users? Most users are not technical and Windows Update shows it as a required (or recommended, I forget) "patch".

8. William says:

Now just get WinMobil and FX 2.0 (and maybe a p4) on my SideKick and I would be cooking Heck, I would not even mind if it had to be a tad bigger. :)

9. vetrin36 says:

wish i could get it on my lap top which has windows me i am kinda low on cash so cant really buy new xp for my laptop at the moment….I got it on my other pc and is great i love the programs that have sprung out so far:)

10. What do you know about 1.0 versus 1.1? Is there a plan in place to push 2.0 via Automatic (versus NOT) Updates?

Where can we (ISVs) get these stats in a more formal format?

11. .Net Adventures says:
  12. Dan V says:

On that note, does anyone know the reason that .NET has not been a required update for Windows machines? (correct me if I’m wrong)

13. Blog2theMax says:

Brad Adams fornisce qualche indizio nel suo ultimo post.

Interessante sapere che ci sono stati fino…