Managed code at the 64 bit world

One of the great new features of Whidbey is the ability to run some of your CURRENT managed applications *natively* on 64bit machines. Some interesting thoughts on this came up in a recent post and it got me talking with the folks working on the 64bit CLR.  For geeky folks that like to know exactly how the CLR works, I think there are some fascinating things to find out here.

-Pitfalls of PInvoke when moving across platforms

-Differences when debugging the 64bit CLR

-Discussion of running managed code in the WOW64

-GACs, 32bit/64bit/portable

-Performance

-etc

What interests you from this list?  What other topics would you find useful?

1. Claus Brod says:

Probably all of those topics are highly interesting, but I’d pick WOW64, GAC handling, and performance first.

.-)

Claus

2. Adam Pelletier says:

May be a detailled roadmap and picture of the future of the development tools for 32 and 64 bits, including VB6, command line C++ compilers and VS.NET. I heard rumors of VS .NET not running on 64 bit machines and cross-development scenarios.

3. Albert says:

Hosting the CLR in WOW64 is my immediate interest.

4. Josh Williams [MS] says:

Interesting. I see there are a couple of people interested in hosting the CLR in WOW64. Are you interested in that you want to see V1.1 hosted in the WOW64 now? Or do you intend to run in the WOW64 on Whidbey instead of letting your managed app run as native 64bit?

5. Brad Abrams says:

Somone sent me one in email to add

How well does the garbage collector works with lots of RAM. E.g. what if a process has a 10GB heap, how long would a generation 3 collection take?

How match more ram do I need in the 64 bit world so be as fast as the 32 bit world, given the fact that objects take up more ram in the 64 bit world.

How match bigger are CLR objects and code in the 64 bit world?

6. Xavier Morera says:

Is there a way I can get any demos or somewhere where I can get a better explanation of

-Pitfalls of PInvoke when moving across platforms