CLSCompliantAttribute and the Naming Conventions

How embarrassing — the CLSCompliantAttribute, which I was the PM for back in the day, does not follow the naming convention.  A reader pointed this out nicely in my comments.  All I can say is that this attribute has very heavy dependencies across *many* compilers and it was therefore deemed to hard to change once the Design Guidelines in this area were finalized.

Lesson Learned: Get the design right the first time!  Listen up WinFX devs.. the little things do mater to our customers and ARE hard\impossible to change later.

BTW – this, any many other perils are in the annotations for the BCL book that hit a book store (or website) near you soon..

1. Ferris Beuller says:

Not really, you did a major naming cleanup from beta1 to beta2.

Just change it and we have to change, flag it as subject to change and incorporate both and flag it as a warning depreciated. Thats normal on MSDN with things to be phased out, "This may be subject to change" and it usual does on later versions.

2. Max says:

Please tell us more about the BCL book 😉

3. Matt says:

I assume Brad means this book:

.NET Framework Standard Library Annotated Reference, Volume 1: Base Class Library and Extended Numerics Library

0321154894

560 pp,

MAR 12, 2004

4. John Cavnar-Johnson says:

Hmmm…. "CLSComplaintAttribute", you reversed the "i" and the "a" to make a rather amusing typo (sorry, my first job out of school was as a copy editor). It’s sort of appropriate. You’re asking VS to complain if you break the CLS rules.

5. Max says:

Thanks Matt!

6. Keith Patrick says:

CTRL-Shift-H, replace CLSCompliant with ClsCompliant, Match Case :)

7. Brad Abrams says:

Thanks John, i fixed it…

Yes, Matt, that is the book… I decided to hold off linking to it until people can actually order a copy… That should be in the next couple of weeks… I will be plugging it a lot then…