serial port support in Whidbey

We keep getting lots of requests for serial port support in the .NET Framework.  We are planning to have it in the next release of the .NET Framework.  You can goto http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/clr/bcl/demos/demos.aspx, and check out the code in either the ‘serial support demo’, or the ‘space invaders!’ demo. These showcase the serial support we’ve introduced for the next release

Have fun!

1. Thanks!!!

You made my day. I have to do that professionally and so far <a href="http://www.moskalyuk.com/blog/archives/000017.html">it‘s been ok, but not very pleasant</a>.

2. Julie Lerman says:

and don’t forget Kit’s demo from PDC – boy those geeks went crazy when they saw that part of the session! 🙂

3. In regards to the crooked ways serial communication is implemented under .NET right now, Brad Abrams says Whidbey will have support for serial ports….

4. Corrado Cavalli says:

For those of you who can’t wait for Whidbey support I wrote a class that wraps Rs232 communication that has thousands of users around the globe… 🙂

Enjoy

5. Mike Sax says:

This is a great example of how the bar of functionality is constantly raised, resulting in increased developer productivity. When the .NET Framework 1.0 was launched we released a .NET library that contained basic serial communications (very similar to what will be in Whidbey). Now we’ve adding file transfers and we’re working on TAPI support and additional debugging features. ISVs, like Microsoft, have to constantly keep moving and more value for developers.

6. Sean Kraus says:

This is good to hear. I’ve had to use serial ports with .NET before using the Sax.net SerialCommunication class in the VB resource kit… its nice to hear that it will be built in now.

7. Dave Fetterman says:

I think this is probably the greatest thing ever made. Thanks Microsoft!

8. I recently had this question coming up from one of our customers:

Q. I just used JLCA3.0 to convert…

9. Mikel Berger says:

If you need to read data from serial ports in .NET I highly recommend the free version of Sax CommStudio. You have to give some personal information to get the free download, but that’s the only cost. For my project I’m reading from fixed bar code scanners and for my basic tests it is working really well. I had debated using the beta of the .NET Framework to get the System.IO.Ports stuff. But using a beta wasn’t really a good option for this project. I spent quite a bit of time working with the code from this MSDN article but it was implemented in (what I thought) was a strange way that had me pretty confused. The SAX component used to be distributed by Microsoft as part of the VB.NET Resource Kit, so that gives me a little bit more piece of mind about the product too….