Google-Juice and PInvoke Perf tips

I just chatted with the development manager on the CLR team.  He is starting to see the value of  getting information out to the community on blogs.  He was working on making a little demo application go faster and wanted to quickly review the PInvoke perf tips.  Like all of you, he first went to google and was surprised to find just what he needed on my blog…  All that is there is a fairly raw set of tips that were sent out over an internal email alias… but it was helpful to him — and I hope some of you…

How often do you find blogs a good source of .NET Development information?

1. milbertus says:

I’m finding that more and more I’m turning to the blogs here at for help when I’m stuck on a problem. Given the increasing number of Microsoft employees who are blogging, I can only see myself turning here more often.

What might be cool is to somehow integrate the Microsoft blogs with the MSDN Library, somehow offer an integrated search, if possible. I know that if it were that easy to search these blogs, I would search them much more often than I do now.

2. Spong says:

I have learned more useful information from blogs in the last three months than I have done from any other source.

It’s fantastic to have the wise sharing the wisdom with everyone.

3. Juan Felipe says:

All the time!!!! 🙂

4. Well, I normally prefer documentation (about 2 years ago, I just sat down and read the Class Library Reference). You can learn a lot that way.

However, the insights from the developers who actually write the products I use 18 hours a day, well, that’s awesome.

Reading documentation: Good.

Google finding interesting conversations: Great.

Reading an MS blog and finding out exactly why and how something is done: Priceless.

5. James Geurts says:

For me, blogs offer yet another resource to turn to in time of need. And in that time of need, the more resources, the better. Not to mention that reading aggregated sites has opened my world. I’m reading [blog] articles by people that I would have otherwise passed up due to just not knowing that the topics existed.

6. Adam Weigert says:

Is this a trick question? 🙂

7. Constantly. I find that particularly with tricky and/or obscure problems, I’m way more likely to find a solution in a blog than from the KB. Many of those solutions may eventually make it to MSDN, but quite a bit later.

8. I tend to get most of my information from developer blogs. Google does an excellent job of spidering the different blogs and their inter-linking to each other. Articles are good, but I find that blogs have more advanced solutions since they don’t have to write to a possibly beginner audience. They’re writing it to themselves, at their level, so you get a lot more substance. Also, many people don’t want to get published, but they don’t mind writing their technology discoveries on their blogs.

9. Keith Hill says:

Google & blogs, what an awesome combo. Now, if I could just google my harddrive. 🙂 Guess I’ll have to wait for WinFS.