Best Story on getting to the PDC???

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Here at PDC central we have heard
some great stories about speakers giving it all to make it to the PDC on time.
 For many of these speakers, the PDC
is one of the few chances they get talk to a few thousand developers. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> These speakers don’t want to miss that
opportunity.  = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">One of the best I heard is Anthony
Moore… Keep in mind href="http://commnet/MyMSEvents/search.aspx?s=1&keywords=&keywordtype=1&track=0&speaker=9780&timeslot=6&catFast+Tracks=0&future=0&submit=Search+Now%21">his
talk is the very first breakout
session of the conference.  This
morning his flight out of "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /> w:st="on">Seattle was delayed… twice then canceled. style="mso-spacerun: yes">  He jumped on the chance to fly to
Phoenix, w:st="on">AZ… (closer is better right?) he should get in
to Phoenix by 8p
tonight then he plans to drive overnight – should get here at 2a. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Then do is talk at noon… style="mso-spacerun: yes">  No problem. style="mso-spacerun: yes">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">What is the best story you have
heard on a speaker or attendee giving it all to make it here… Please add or link
in my comments…

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Breaking news – the PDC central is a
happening place – Anthony was able to swing a flight from w:st="on">Phoenix to LAX… ahh

1. Adam Nathan says:

After an unsuccessful trip to the Seattle airport today, Sonja and I will be trying again tomorrow. Our session isn’t until Tuesday afternoon, so we’re not fretting…yet. Our story isn’t as exciting as Anthony’s, but we do have a twist: in addition to our luggage, we’ve been hauling around 50-pounds-worth (in weight; not in money!) of .NET and COM: The Complete Interoperability Guides (since we’re giving them away during our session)! That makes travelling a bit more difficult!

2. Shane McRoberts says:

I got to SeaTac with plenty of time to spare. Although all the earlier flights were delayed or cancelled, mine showed On Time–until about an hour before takeoff, when it suddenly switched directly to cancelled. My airline’s Customer Service desk had just one person working, with a very slow-moving line of at least 50 people. Waiting in line, I called the airline on my cell phone and got my flight switched to Monday morning, with a connection in Portland. In some ways I was lucky: I’ll sleep at home tonight and *if* all goes well tomorrow I’ll get to LA around noon. That’s a bit tight for my 4:45 presentation tomorrow, but at least I didn’t get the 7:10am direct flight–it has already been cancelled. I’ll send an update tomorrow–hopefully from LA and not Seattle (or worse, Portland).

3. Shane McRoberts says:

Just to make sure it’s clear: I’m not dissing Portland. I almost always have a great time in the "Rose City" whenever I visit. I just meant that getting stuck half-way on the trip would be worse than getting stuck in my "home ‘port".

4. Richard PDC or Bust Irving says:

I haven’t actually made it out of Seattle yet, though I was scheduled to be out of here at 11:30 and at LAX at 2:00. Sitting in the airport I did have a "Revenge of the Nerds" moment though.

SeaTac has been kind enough to install WiFi access points, at least in the Alaska terminal. So when we were finally notified of the cancellation, and everyone else got in line to — and I’m just speculating here — finish reading one of those long novels they started way back in Obscure Literature 200, I cracked open the Tablet PC and jumped on to TravelPort, Expedia, and just about every other travel site known to man.

Eerily enough, however, every time I got to the confirmation stage of the reservation, I got a notice that the flight I requested no longer had available seats. And so it became a race. A race against the forces of nature. A race against the furious finger tapping of "service desk" attendents across SeaTac. A race defined by those with the fastest network connection and dextrous keyboarding skills. A race whose drama can only be appropriately illustrated by introducing one last run on sentence before I finally get to the anticlimactic climax of my story.

Eventually I did manage to get a flight… the exact same flight plan I was originally supposed to take, but 24 hours later. And I sat back for just a moment and thought to myself "Ain’t technology grand?" Then the reality of the situation hit me and I realized I was going to blow $60 on a cab ride back to my house and I thought "Ouch."

This means, assuming the smoke blows a different way tomorrow, I should arrive in LA exactly two hours and forty-five minutes before my scheduled speaking time. I’m hoping I can pull this off. I hope all the other speakers and attendees get to LA safely and timely as well. This should be one of the coolest PDCs we’ve ever had. I don’t want to miss it.

5. Shane McRoberts says:

As promised, here’s my update–and it’s from LA!

At SeaTac this morning, I got some good news. Both legs of my flight were supposed to be on time. The only bad side was the short leg to Portland was in one of those rickety little turbo-prop puddle jumpers–I hate those things. But as RIchard says, "PDC or Bust", right? Well, I was sure hoping for the PDC half of that equation. Everything was fine until we descended into Portland. You know how when you look out of a plane and you see that layer of clouds beneath you, then you descend into it? Just before we disappeared into the clouds I saw the tops of a row of power cable towers. We weren’t dropping into the clouds, we were landing in the fog. But they do that all the time, right? They can land in total darkness with no runway lights, right? Well, we kept going down until I guess the pilot had the same thought I did–we should have hit the ground by now–and he suddenly jammed on the power and pulled up into a steep climb. We rose back out of the fog and headed east toward Battle Ground, OR. As soon as we were past the airport, the fog opened up and all of Oregon east of Portland airport was in view. After we few minutes we approached what appeared to be a little municipal airport. We did a couple of lazy circles and then started descending. I thought for sure we were headed into that little airport, but after one more circle on our descent we turned back to Portland and landed in the opposite direction (eastbound) from our first attempt. After deplaning, I found out there was a connection about to leave for LA (earlier than my original one). I hopped on with the promise that my bag *would* make it onto this flight. It didn’t, but hey, I’m not complaining. After an uneventful flight and an 85mph taxi ride through LA, I got here in time for my noon tech check and I’m all set for my talk today at 4:45. Let’s Code!

6. Chris Brumme says:

I’m sure I have a travel story that can’t be beat. I was dropped off at the airport by my wife. I was told my flight was on time. I was interviewed by a reporter who was very disappointed that I was unaffected by any travel problems. You may have seen me that night on Fox News, complaining that I was *almost* delayed. At the airport, I met many people who had been there all day waiting. When my on-time flight arrived at LAX, James Hamilton mentioned he was going to the same hotel and could give me a ride in his rental car. Naturally, it was a Preferred rental, so we were dropped off right at the car. Minutes later I was at my hotel. It’s clear that I lead a charmed life.

7. A co-worker and I were in the air from Atlanta when all incoming flights got diverted. Our pilot said "We will be landing in Las Vegas due to the evacuation of the ATC center in San Diego. Well, great…. Ten minutes later, the pilot said "Due to some ‘special cargo’ we are carrying, they are putting us straight through to LAX. Situation averted.

The cargo??? Kidneys for transplant.