What .NET books need a 2nd addition

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I had lunch Sunday with Damien
Watkins who taught the first every class using the .NET Framework and is now
working for MS Research in "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /> w:st="on">Cambridge. style="mso-spacerun: yes">  He and I were commiserating the fact
that we had not been asked to do a 2nd rev of our (and Mark
Hammond’s) href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201770180/104-1478910-6957526?v=glance">Programming
in the .NET Environment book.
 In general sales in the
technical book market have not been great and I think it is fair to say there
was a glut of .NET books on the market. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> But I think the product is starting to be
mature enough for the “classics” to emerge. style="mso-spacerun: yes">  Those that get 2, 3, or more revisions….
  Who do you think gets in that
list?  Are you ready for a
2nd revision of any of your .NET books? style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Maybe updated with Whidbey content? style="mso-spacerun: yes">  "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. Mujtaba Syed says:

1. Jeff Prosise’s Programming .NET – I read in his book blog that he will break the chapter on Windows Forms into 2 chapters – one on GDI+ and the other on Windows Forms. He could update the books with Avalon (Chapter 4 and 4a), Whidbey (all over the book), ASP .NET 2.0 (section2 of his book), basics of Indigo (chapter 11), XML v2 (chapter 13), and a taste of Yukon (chapter 12).
    v1 is a great tutorial on .NET. I am sure v2 will be better

2. Scott Short’s Web Services book – v2 with Indigo in depth
    3. Chris Sells’ Windows Forms book – v2 with Avalon in detail
    4. Kalen Delaney’s SQL Server book – vX with Yukon in detail

Other books – Fritz’s, Dino’s XML book.

As an aside, I would love to read an Aaron Skonnard book on Web Services (WS-*, Indigo) and XML v2.

2. Sam Gentile says:

Very few books matter in this space that go beyond what is in the framework and MSDN already. Notable exceptions that matter greatly is:
    Jeff Richter’s Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming (must be updated!)
    Don Box’s Essential .NET
    Fritz Onion’s Essential ASP.NET
    Ingo’s Advanced .NET Remoting
    Karen Delaney’s SQL Server book with detail on Yukon
    Yours and Damien’s Programming in the .NET Environment (which I got a lot out of)

I really don’t see many more beyond that.

3. Sergio Pereira says:

I personally don’t like books that talk about beta versions of any product. The reader’s interest is only superfcial since it’s likely to be outdated pretty soon. I’d rather see books with more in depth content on a specific subject like:
    – Extending ASP.NET
    – Interop
    – Remoting
    – Security
    – No touch deployment
    Of course, most of those topics have already been covered in some of the best books out there.

4. Shane says:

Jeff Richter’s Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming has been my most favorite .Net book so far and I’d gladly buy an updated edition.

5. Blake says:

Another vote for Don Box’s Essential .NET, and it is of course already begging for the cooresponding Volume 1 that the current title implies.

6. Mike Dimmick says:

Shame I can’t upgrade by getting the new pages over the web 😉

7. Keith Hill says:

My favorites are:

Jeff Richter’s Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming
    Don Box’s Essential .NET
    Fritz Onion’s Essential ASP.NET
    Sell’s Windows Forms
    Robbins’ Debugging Applications for .NET and Windows

All of these should be updated for Whidbey I think.

8. Keith Hill says:

Crud, I forgot to add Adam Nathans excellent .NET and COM interop tome. It should probably be updated for Whidbey too.

9. James Edelen says:

I agree with Sam. My list would be the same as his with the addition of Sell’s Windows Forms programming book which is just fantastic. I have the whole .NET development series from AWL and I have enjoyed the series immensely, including your book. I would definatly like to see your book updated with the enhancements of the next version of .NET.

10. Sam Gentile says:

Agreed. Chris’s book belongs there too as it is excellent and there are a lot of changes with Avalon.

11. Sam Gentile says:

Oh and I would have included Adam’s book as it is my "Bible" but I don’t believe there will be any changes in Interop. If I’m wrong, then that needs to be included too.

12. late to the party as usual…but Nikhil Kothari’s (excuse the spelling) Server Controls book is a classic in ASP.NET…needs an update for Whidbey!

13. Joe Karam says:

Arguably one of the better books on the CLR and deserving a second edition is "Shared Source CLI Essentials" by Dave Stutz and his co-authors. It complements rather than replaces the other CLR books already mentioned, such as the ones by Don Box and Jeff Richter.
    As we move into a new phase of the adoption cycle, this book needs to be retitled and reinvented to appeal to new adopters with a fundamental interest in understanding the CLR “why” questions. The current edition, designed as a companion to the "Rotor" release, provides an excellent "big picture" description of the paradigm surrounding CLI implementations. It deserves a wider audience.