Do group blogs work?

href="">Greg Fee
href="">Ivan Medvedev
href="">Suzanne Cook
face=Arial size=2> style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We are now starting to think about
the next level of the team blogging.
Many folks on the CLR team have a concern that they will not be able to
blog frequently enough to make it worthwhile for the readers (btw, how much is
frequently enough).  As such we are
considering starting a CLR team wide blog where anyone on the CLR team can
post.  The idea is that, although
there will not be a single “voice” on that blog, there will be a constant stream
of useful information.

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Has anyone tried this before? style="mso-spacerun: yes">  Does it work? style="mso-spacerun: yes">  Other

1. Nic Wise says:

Sounds good to me! Either one is good tho – if you use an aggregator, there is no differemce – I just get posts showing up from whoever has posted, and I generally dont clean out "non posting" people, unless, like Sam did, they state they are going away……

2. TorstenR says:

A good compromize would be: provide a xml feed that aggregates the last posts of the single feeds. So each one can continue to write to it’s own blog, aggregators can subscribe to only a subset of them and we have the ability to read also a "group blog"…

3. Peter Stuer says:

Team blogs just don’t do it for me. I like the personality centric idea behind a blog. As mentioned above most people now seem to use aggregators for reading blogs, making the frequency issue moot. I never removed a blog because of low frequency. I drop some because of low sig/noise ratio. Group blogs seem to suffer much more from this.

4. Why do you think Early & Adopter don’t have separate blogs?

I think group blogging makes a lot of sense. It will let people post infrequently without having to setup, maintain, and try to get people to read their individual blog. And for the readers, without a group blog they have to track who all CLR bloggers are, and set them up individually in their aggregator. I don’t know about the other readers, but there are points where I just get tired of manually spidering the blog web to make sure I have everyone.

Also, if you have a policy of not posting personal stuff to the group blog, then you can actually have a higher S/N ratio than most other blogs. It sounds like your intent is just to get some really good information out to the community. Individual blogs, OTOH, are really about promoting your name.

Some people want to be part of a fan club, but I think most people (myself included) read blogs for the awesome tidbits that get posted, and personally I care about the content first, and the name second.

5. Rick Childress says:

Aggregation from a single source, the CLR channel, if you will. One RSS feed that people subscribe to that picks the CLR topical entrees from each team members individual blogs and presents them as one steady stream.

6. Sam Gentile says:

Yes exactly what and why Scott said. I tried to say similar things in my post at this link. In the case of the CLR group, getting the CLR info to CLR starved wonks like me (and Scott, etc) is the upmost thing and lends directly to a group blog.

7. Rick Childress says:

One blog or one feed to bind them all?

8. David Levine says:

Two blogs; one strictly for technical content, and one for non-technical – this could be personal, announcements about events, conferences, awards, etc.
    These blogs are immensely valuable; they could be collated and turned into a book. One problem this would solve is that it is difficult to keep track of new blogs.

9. Mike Dimmick says:

I think we’ll be able to tell which articles Chris Brumme writes 😉

10. Andreas Häber says:

A group blog would be very nice IMO 🙂
    Another issue thing you could work with is the startpage at – Only the names says nothing to me, why not include their job-titles/position/group/… or something similar which describes what I can expect to read about there.

11. Brad,
    I think an official feed for all the blogs on gotdotnet would go a long way to acheiving your goal. It would also be very useful to have the blogs sliced into groupings such as CLR Team, ASP.NET Team, etc. I wrote a little app to create an aggregated feed for the blogs on that is available at:

And a related blog post:

I’ll be updating the feed shortly to include the blogs not running on BlogX, as well as the dc:creator. I’ll look forward to a more official feed shortly!! 😉