Useful Code: Swap .h/.cpp

Over the past few weeks, for a number of reasons I have been working on a number of macros to extend the functionality of Visual C++. The first reason is that I have been giving preparing demos for various talks, such as Gamefest (which I mentioned earlier) as well as PDC. In these talks, we stress the many ways users can customize the IDE to suit their needs and extending it with macros is a key part of that. The second, more important reason, is that a number of customers have asked for features that we simply cannot add to the product at this point in the release cycle. When the developers on my team heard I was doing this, they even went so far as to say I was doing “their job”. Needless to say I was quite flattered 🙂 What’s more, they started mentioning that they had a bunch of their own, which they’d been keeping to themselves this whole time!

Although this post is meant to discuss a specific macro (first among a few I’ll be posting), I want to talk a bit about Visual Studio’s extensibility model. If you’ve already written add-ins or macros then this may be old news, and I promise to keep it brief.

Writing macros for Visual Studio is quite simple (could you guess I was going to say that?). You can access the macros editor, which is simply a sub-session of VS, from the Tools menu, under the macros entry, or with the Alt+F11 shortcut. If it’s the first time you do this, you should see a project called MyMacros with an empty module called Module1, which is a great starting point to write a macro. At this point, you will have inevitably noticed that you have entered the wonderful world of VB development where it seems as though everything is taken care of for you… The two core APIs for C++ oriented macro development are DTE, which provides access to the IDE functionality, and the VCCodeModel, which is the gateway to working with the code inside the IDE. As I unveil more macros, I’ll expound more on these interfaces.

Today’s macro is a feature request I’ve often received from customers: “Give me a shortcut to swap between a .h and respective .cpp file”. Ask and (sometimes) ye shall receive so here is the code in all its simplistic glory. The comments should speak for themselves…

Sub SwapHeaderImpl()

‘ get the currently active document from the IDE

Dim doc As EnvDTE.Document = DTE.ActiveDocument

‘ get the name of the document (lower-case)

Dim docname As String = doc.Name.ToLower

‘ get the project that contains this document

Dim project As Project = doc.ProjectItem.ContainingProject

‘ verify that we are working with a C++ document

If doc.Language = EnvDTE.Constants.dsCPP Then

‘ switch file name string between *.h <-> *.cpp

If docname.EndsWith(“.h”) Then

docname = docname.Replace(“.h”, “.cpp”)

ElseIf docname.EndsWith(“.cpp”) Then

docname = docname.Replace(“.cpp”, “.h”)

End If

‘ find file in current project and open it (can you spot the flaw in this section?)

Dim item As ProjectItem

For Each item In project.ProjectItems

‘ compare and open

If docname = item.Name.ToLower() Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(item.FileNames(0), Constants.vsViewKindCode)

Exit Sub

‘ if file was not in project, search include paths

Dim vcproj As VCProject = project.Object

Dim config As VCConfiguration = vcproj.Configurations(1)

Dim compiler As VCCLCompilerTool = config.Tools(“VCCLCompilerTool”)

Dim path As String

For Each path In compiler.FullIncludePath.Split(“;”)

If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(path + “\” + docname) Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(path + “\” + docname, Constants.vsViewKindCode)

End Sub

You probably noticed that I point a flaw in the code above. Indeed, the code above won’t be useful as it does not traverse the entire list of files contained in a project. The problem lies in the fact that some items within a project are both an item and a container of more items (i.e. folders/filters). These items can be accessed both as a ProjectItem object and as a ProjectItems object. Furthermore, items can be deeply nested, so in order to reach every file in a project, we need a recursive function such as the following.

Sub OpenInProjectItems(ByVal name As String, ByVal projItems As EnvDTE.ProjectItems)

Dim projItem As EnvDTE.ProjectItem

‘ Find all ProjectItem objects in the given collection

For Each projItem In projItems

If name = projItem.Name.ToLower() Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(projItem.FileNames(0), Constants.vsViewKindCode)

Exit Sub

‘ recurse to get deeply nested items

OpenInProjectItems(name, projItem.ProjectItems)

End Sub

We can now rewrite the original macro using this helper function.

Sub SwapHeaderImpl()

‘ get the currently active document from the IDE

Dim doc As EnvDTE.Document = DTE.ActiveDocument

‘ get the name of the document (lower-case)

Dim docname As String = doc.Name.ToLower

‘ get the project that contains this document

Dim project As Project = doc.ProjectItem.ContainingProject

‘ verify that we are working with a C++ document

If doc.Language = EnvDTE.Constants.dsCPP Then

‘ switch file name string between *.h <-> *.cpp

If docname.EndsWith(“.h”)

docname = docname.Replace(“.h”, “.cpp”)

ElseIf docname.EndsWith(“.cpp”) Then

docname = docname.Replace(“.cpp”, “.h”)

‘ find file in current project and open it

OpenInProjectItems(docname, project.ProjectItems)

‘ if file was not in project, search include paths

Dim vcproj As VCProject = project.Object

Dim config As VCConfiguration = vcproj.Configurations(1)

Dim compiler As VCCLCompilerTool = config.Tools(“VCCLCompilerTool”)

Dim path As String

For Each path In compiler.FullIncludePath.Split(“;”)

If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(path + “\” + docname) Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(path + “\” + docname, Constants.vsViewKindCode)

End Sub

I should also discuss the lower part of the code where the macro attemps to reach files outside of the project. Often, C++ developers may be implementing headers that are not added to the project but that are in the project’s include path. In order to support this common scenario, the macro digs into the VC automation engine, as evidenced by the use of VCProject, VCConfiguration and VCCLCompilerTool. Navigating these APIs is a little more difficult but there is a lot of functionality buried in them. In this case, I load the first configuration (ideally I should retrieve the active configuration) for the project and then load the object containing all the properties of the compiler build event. Within this object I find the FullIncludePath property, which I can split to obtain all possible locations accessible from this project.

Voila!

1. PatriotB says:

Swapping .h/.cpp is one of those things that once you get used to it you can’t live without it. I use VC++ 6 and WndTabs (www.wndtabs.com) and have found it to be a very valuable feature.

2. B. Lee says:

Well Thanks for the great info.

I don’t know much about VB or macros but I know this macro will be very helpful.

However, when I try to add this to Visual Studio 2005 I get the following errors. Could you tell me what I’m doing wrong?

The code works fine excluding the lower part where it seeks include directories.

Error 1 Type ‘VCProject’ is not defined.

Error 2 Type ‘VCConfiguration’ is not defined.

Error 3 Type ‘VCCLCompilerTool’ is not defined.

3. Jose Ricardo says:

Mr B.Lee

I had the same problem that you´re facing with and I found the solution at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2ya384e0.aspx

You just have to follow the steps in this site.

Hope it helps you

4. David Coster says:

V. Good.  However, I sped it up on my machine from 3-4 sec for a .h to .cpp swap to less than 1 sec.  I changed OpenInProjectItems to be a function returning a boolean to indicate if the file had been found and opened.  If so, terminate all further searching.  Code as follows:

Function OpenInProjectItems(ByVal name As String, ByVal projItems As EnvDTE.ProjectItems) As Boolean

Dim projItem As EnvDTE.ProjectItem

‘ Find all ProjectItem objects in the given collection

OpenInProjectItems = False

For Each projItem In projItems

If Name = projItem.Name.ToLower() Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(projItem.FileNames(0), Constants.vsViewKindCode)

OpenInProjectItems = True

Exit Function

‘ recurse to get deeply nested items

If True = OpenInProjectItems(name, projItem.ProjectItems) Then

OpenInProjectItems = True

Exit Function

End Function

and in the SwapHeaderImpl call change it to be:

If False = OpenInProjectItems(docname, project.ProjectItems) Then

‘ if file was not in project, search include paths

Dim vcproj As VCProject = project.Object

Dim config As VCConfiguration = vcproj.Configurations(1)

Dim compiler As VCCLCompilerTool = config.Tools("VCCLCompilerTool")

Dim path As String

For Each path In compiler.FullIncludePath.Split(";")

If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(path + "" + docname) Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(path + "" + docname, Constants.vsViewKindCode)

OK, do you think?

David 🙂

5. Tom Moers says:

trying the file in the same directory or scanning the alreay open documents will also speed up the swap in most cases:

Sub SwapHeaderImpl()

‘ get the currently active document from the IDE

Dim doc As EnvDTE.Document = DTE.ActiveDocument

‘ get the name of the document (lower-case)

Dim docname As String = doc.Name.ToLower

Dim docfullname As String = doc.FullName.ToLower

‘ get the project that contains this document

Dim project As Project = doc.ProjectItem.ContainingProject

‘ verify that we are working with a C++ document

If doc.Language = EnvDTE.Constants.dsCPP Then

‘ switch file name string between *.h <-> *.cpp

If docname.EndsWith(".h") Then

docname = docname.Replace(".h", ".cpp")

docfullname = docfullname.Replace(".h", ".cpp")

ElseIf docname.EndsWith(".cpp") Then

docname = docname.Replace(".cpp", ".h")

docfullname = docfullname.Replace(".cpp", ".h")

End If

‘ try the file in the same directory

If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(docfullname) Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(docfullname, Constants.vsViewKindCode)

Exit Sub

End If

‘ try already open files

For Each doc In DTE.Documents

If docname = doc.Name.ToLower Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(doc.FullName, Constants.vsViewKindCode)

Exit Sub

‘ find file in current project and open it

If False = OpenInProjectItems(docname, project.ProjectItems) Then

‘ if file was not in project, search include paths

Dim vcproj As VCProject = project.Object

Dim config As VCConfiguration = vcproj.Configurations(1)

Dim compiler As VCCLCompilerTool = config.Tools("VCCLCompilerTool")

Dim path As String

For Each path In compiler.FullIncludePath.Split(";")

If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(path + "" + docname) Then

DTE.ItemOperations.OpenFile(path + "" + docname, Constants.vsViewKindCode)

End Sub

6. asif says:

what is this i can’t understand

7. We can&nbsp;now rewrite the original macro using this helper function.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.prohotels.info/imitation_Iceland/ocellus_South%20Iceland/evaluation_Reykjavik_1.html

8. We can&nbsp;now rewrite the original macro using this helper function.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.barcelohotels.info/religious_Italy/inability_Lazio/piccalilli_Rome_1.html

9. 4 says:

We can&nbsp;now rewrite the original macro using this helper function.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.lowpricedmotel.info/index/4

10. We can&nbsp;now rewrite the original macro using this helper function.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.buyemployments.info/alien_Italy/accompaniment_Toscana/isoseismal_Florence_1.html

11. We can&nbsp;now rewrite the original macro using this helper function.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.getjobz.info/ejaculation_Italy/sere_Toscana/intelligibility_Florence_1.html

12. wfertgtr says:

[url=http://artmam.net/Dir-Chicken_Recipe.htm]chicken salad recipe[/url]

Good food memories from childhood offer more than pleasant flavor recall.

Vicky Rangel of Mountain View, California, remembers tinga, a classic slow-braised …

13. We can&nbsp;now rewrite the original macro using this helper function.

I do not agree. Go to http://apartments.waw.pl/

14. Based on cash advance service advance advance america cash center

15. Of the record first american cash advance advance cash fast loan online payday