MPViewer 1.7 – Now works with latest E12 MP

Thanks Stefan for reporting that MPViewer export to HTML functionality didn’t work with the latest version of the E12 MP. This was caused by a bug in MPViewer. The new version is attached to this blog post. I also some more minor features such as frequency for performance monitors as well breaking out the monitors by type (unit, dependency, aggregate).

If you see any other issues looking at MPs, please drop me a a message.

MPViewer.zip

1. Marnix Wolf says:

Hello Boris.

Question: does your tool work on x64 based servers? When I run this tool on a x64 W2K03 SP2 I get an error stating ‘Management Pack Viewer has encountered an error and needs to close’

2. Pavel Dzemyantsau says:

can’t run this vesrion. constantly getting error as descibed above.

Win2003SER2 x32, Scom2007sp1

3. borisyan says:

With regards to the errors you are seeing, can you please send me a screen shot?

4. Check out Boris Yanushpolsky's blog ( http://blogs.msdn.com/boris_yanushpolsky ). Boris is an SCOM

5. Tom Martin says:

Hello Boris,

Does this shows all Thresholds as well? If not, can this be included in the next version?

Thanks so much,

Tom

6. Rosemary says:

I  agree – it would really be great if it is possible to show thresholds in MP viewer in the next version.

7. Keith says:

I can’t run the tool on 2008 x64; get an unhandled exception has occured error.  Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager,Version=6.0.4900.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas?

8. borisyan says:

This is very likely because you dont have the OpsMgr console installed on the machine.

9. Aamir says:

Can’t run MPViewer. Exception is

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application…..

Couldnot load file or assembly

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager

Version 6.0.4900.0

Sytem cant find the file specified

"

10. borisyan says:

Hi Aamir, do you have OpsMgr console installed on the machine from which you are running MPViewer?

11. k6497 says:

Are there any licensing restrictions or requirements in using this tool in an environment that is licensed for SCOM 2007?

12. borisyan says:

There is no license that you need for MPViewer.

13. Antonio says:

I am also getting "Unhandled exception" error, even when running in a machine with Ops Mgr 2005 console installed. Any tips? Thanks.

14. borisyan says:

You need to have the OpsMgr 07 console rather than the MOM 2005 console.

15. Antonio says:

Is there any option to use MPViewer with MOM 2005? Thanks for the quick response.

16. borisyan says:

Unfortunately not.

17. Tim Francis says:

Using MPViewer1.7 to view an unsealed manangment pack that was created on the fly during the creation of a custom unit monitor, rule or group, I get the following error message from MPviewer1.7 –

Identity Mismatch: Loaded Identity (from Management Pack Manifest section) is:[ID= NTRS.EMT.Test.Management.Pack] and the file name is [NTRS.EMT.Test.Management.Pack.{"32 char alphanumeric string here"}.{"32 char alphanumeric string here"}.xml]. Identity of ManagementPack should be the same as its File name (without the file extension).

This prohibits viewing the management pack as the viewer bails out. This happens on all MPs that were created on the fly during the creation of a unit monitor,or rule or group.

18. borisyan says:

Can you please send me the mp to borisyan@microsoft.com?

Thanks

Boris.

19. Tim Francis says:

Thanks Boris.  He pointed out that I was trying to view MPs from a "restricted" directory that is used soley by the SCOM agent. When I export the custom unsealed MP via the console, I can then view the MP with MPViewer1.7 perfectly.

20. Peter says:

Looking at the Reports function in MPViewer 1.7 no reports are listed. F.x. "SQL Server 2005 Monitoring" Management Pack. If I look in the console there are reports for "SQL Server 2005 Monitoring" Management Pack.

21. borisyan says:

Did you look in linked reports?

22. During a recent IIS 7 MP tune up, I noticed in MP Viewer 1.7 was only showing 6 discoveries with time

23. Mpviewer 1.7 Visualiser le contenu des MPs sous forme de fichier HTML ou Excel de Boris Yanuspolsky…

24. Joachim Meyer says:

It would be cool if you could control opening and saving Management Packs using parameters from the command line. That would make it possible to batch export and convert Management Packs to a documentation-friendly format.

Thanks,

Joachim

25. Devon Mitchell says:

When I use MP Viewer and select a monitor in the Monitors – Unit section, it throws an unhandled exception error: "Access to the path ‘D:SCOM UtilitiesMPViewermpelementdefinition.xml’ is denied." When I look in that path, there is no xml file there at all. Does the program require this file to exist there? If so, where do I get this file from?

26. Devon Mitchell says:

27. borisyan says:

you probably need to run the utility as an elevated user (admin).