What do YOU think about the Cluster Management Pack?

Several weeks ago we released an update to Windows 2003 Cluster MP to address several customer initiated issues. I am very interested to hear what you think about the cluster MP and what has been your experience in deploying and using it, or things that you wish the MP had. If you are reading this post and have the Cluster MP deployed, I would really appreciate if you could send me a message or post a comment on the blog.

1. Anonymous says:

Boris,

Great talking and meeting with you.  My only suggestions are having the Cluster MP handle Geo Cluster situations as we talked about.  I posted this question/suggestion in the news groups as well.

Take it easy man!!

• Blake
  2. Anonymous says:

Hi Boris I had emailed you a couple of weeks ago with some feedback on the cluster MP only being able to discover only one network name per cluster group. Any info if this is going to be fixed or not?

3. Anonymous says:

It rocks, very solid and worked smoothly, didn’t face any issues with the current version all of the resources are discovered correctly…..finally.

4. Anonymous says:

Well, after following official’s Microsoft documentation on how to give permissions to action accounts etc… we’ve found in a test environment that if you want this MP to discover correctly cluster’s Network Name, the Action Account must have too much privileges. if not OpsMgr is not able to see it.

That’s not good news for granularity & security. We’re dealing with MS Support… and they’ve been able to reproduce the problem in lab also… We’re waiting an answer.

Anyway, in our opinion it’s not as solid and runs as smoothly as Mahmoud states in the previos comment…

5. Anonymous says:

I hope I can get some reports through the Cluster MP. Like how many resources each cluster service is using.

6. borisyan says:

Hi Steven,

Can you please provide more details on the type of reports you would like to generate?

Thanks

Boris.

7. DaveO says:

I have a case open with Premier Support on the Cluster MP not discovering everything it should. Apparently I’m not alone.

I got a reply today that there is a design issues with the MP and they’re sending it back to the product team for a rewrite.

Dave

8. Anonymous says:

I installed the MP but I could not install it under the cluster virtual name. I had to do each node in discovery.

It does not see the SQL 2005 DB Engine but does see the SQL 2005 Reporting Services.

Any clue as to why?

9. bday says:

We have a case open with PSS with over 27 hours of work so far regarding the latest Cluster MP, case SRX080307601062.

Most of our clusters are showing up fine, but a few refuse to show up as monitored. Feel free to check out our case for more info.

10. Anonymous says:

Hi Boris,

An expert MSCS has to evaluate the MP with me.Very good ! particularly :

Diagram view (+++), possibility of knowing which are the physical nodes of a cluster.

Vision of the resources : state, which resource is on which physical node.

Possibility of putting in maintenance mode an "off line" resource (allows to manually put "off line" a resource without generating alert (not possible with MOM 2005)) …

FYI, we have two Network Name in the same Cluster Group and there are quite discovered.

However I have problems with Cluster Monitoring Views when I use a User Role :

My User Role is scope only on one site group (gateway). In this case, only the views "Cluster Service Events", "Cluster Service State" and "Nodes" are displayed. All others views do not display a result ("Clusters" diagram view displaying a grey screen).

To workaround this problem, in the User Role Group Scope, I have selected the cluster network name that are subgroups of "Windows Clusters" group, and that are part of my "Site" (disadvantage: this is not dynamic). All views display a good result (limited to the servers of my site), exept "Clusters" diagram view which always display a grey screen.

"Clusters" diagram view is OK only if you select the "Windows Clusters" group.

I did not encounter an identical problem with other MP.

Is it possible to workaround this problem ?

Thanks

11. Anonymous says:

Hi Boris,

An expert MSCS has to evaluate the MP with me.Very good ! particularly :

Vision of the resources : state, which resource og a cluster name is on which physical node.

However I have problems with Cluster Monitoring Views when I use a User Role :

My User Role is scope only on one site group (gateway). In this case, only the views "Cluster Service Events", "Cluster Service State" and the two views of folder "Node" are displayed. All others views do not display a result ("Clusters" diagram view displaying a grey screen).

"Clusters" diagram view is OK only if you select the "Windows Clusters" group.

I did not encounter an identical problem with other MP.

Is it possible to workaround this problem ?

Thanks

12. Anonymous says:

I have noticed that when I place the Computer Object and it’s associated Health Service and Health Service Watcher into Maintenance Mode, I will then get numerous Cluster related alerts associated with the Computer I placed into Maintenance Mode.  Is this expected behavior?

13. Anonymous says:

When you put a machine that hosts a cluster into Maint Mode. It detects that the cluster group is offline

14. Anonymous says:

I have to Monitor Windows 2000 based clusters as well as Windows 2003. I’m able to monitor the Windows 2003 cluster in our test environment, but in our production environment we can’t discover our windows 2000 based cluster. The MP discovered only the cluster group which contains the qourum resource, but it couldn’t discover the other group as cluster object, the SCOM discovered the secound group as a normal windows computer.

15. borisyan says:

The currently published Cluster MP is only designed to work on Windows 2003. It was not designed to work on Windows 2000.