Including the performance counter info in the alert description

When creating a Windows Performance Counter unit monitor, you might want to include in the alert description four pretty important pieces of information: Performance Object Name, Counter Name, Instance Name, Counter Value. Here are the expression that you need to use in order to include this info in the alert description:

1. Counter Value                      – $Data/Context/Value$

2. Performance Object Name    – $Data/Context/ObjectName$

3. Performance Counter Name  – $Data/Context/CounterName$

4. Performance Instance Name – $Data/Context/InstanceName$

1. Anonymous says:

What about SNMP performance grabbed with a probe monitor ? are they also like those above, or do you need to use the SnmpVar stuff ? how would it look like ? Better: how is one supposed to figure out all this stuff ?

2. Daniele Grandini says:

Hi Boris,

I have a couple of questions regarding Perf counters and alerting (at large):

1) is there any way to force the perf counter collection time as it was possible with MOM 2005. Obviously if I use the backward compatible modules with MOM 2005 style script I still can… but I didn’t find any property in the performancedata schema. Am I going blind or you completely forgot it? In the second case please give us the chance to force the perf counter collection time.

2) Can I add the configuration data to the alert description? I tried to use something like $Config/PropertyX$ but it seems not to work… once again where I am wrong?

The on final, off topic question, I’ve been asked to create a Console Task targeted to the alert class. How can I use the alert properties, I tried every xpath path I can think of ($Data… $Target… $Alert…) with no luck. Basically I need to launch a browser based on an alert CustomProperty1.

Thanks again for your great an invaluable support

3. Daniele Grandini says:

Hi Boris,

I have a couple of questions regarding Perf counters and alerting (at large):

Thanks again for your great an invaluable support

4. borisyan says:

In order to reference a custom field of an alert in a console task you can use $CustomField1$. I dont think you can force a perf counter to be collected on demand.

5. Anonymous says:

Many of you know already that alert’s description can contain value of any of the properties of the data

6. Anonymous says: