Disabling/Enabling multiple rules/monitors/discoveries at once

One of the things I have heard on several occasions is that people want to disable or enable a number of rules/monitors/discoveries at once. Currently its only possible to enable or disable one at a time. This can be an issue when you are trying to disable 100 rules. To help with this problem I created a utility that allows you to multiselect a number of rules/monitors/discoveries and create an override to either disable them or enable them.

The link to the zip file is at the bottom of this post.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included utilities are subject to the terms specified at

1. Ron says:

Doesn’t seem to work with 2007 SP1?

2. Mark Webster says:

Truly a brilliant tool. Thanks for making this available.

3. Richard says:

Boris, incorporate some versioning into these tools.

BTW:  The tools are invaluable to me, thanks.

4. Roger Morell says:

This is an essential tool that should be expanded and, preferably added to the Authoring pane.

What I lack is the ability to select a MP, have three options, Monitors, Rules, Discoveries. And then disable the selected options for the entire MP.

We use this for different classes of servers that should not have all the monitoring running.

Keep up the good work

5. Check out Boris Yanushpolsky's blog ( http://blogs.msdn.com/boris_yanushpolsky ). Boris is an SCOM

6. Ted Hacker says:

Is there a trick to getting it to work? When opening a connection to a management server the OverrideCreator.exe goes unresponsive under Vista from my PC.  Under XP, opening the executable produces an error.

My Management Group is running SP1.  Will that matter?  I see the other comment about it not working with SP1, but no reply.

7. borisyan says:

Do you have the OpsMgr console installed on the computer? Do you have admin access to the RMS (OpsMgr permissions rather than Windows permissions)?

8. Yair says:

The source code for this will be invaluable!

9. Craig Pero says:

Unfortunately i wrote my own version of this before I found this article (DOH !!)  However, the one I wrote is much slower since I process each over-ride one at a time with a verify and then an update.

It has to be possible, I just havent found the code (or searched the SDK help file hard enough), to create a collection in which all of the over-rides are verified and then written all at once.

Are there any hints or snippits on this? It takes a LONG time to process 100 over-rides one at a time.  Of course it is still much faster than doing it manually.

10. Craig Pero says:

b.t.w… yours is MUCH nicer than what I wrote by a long shot.  I took the approach of editing all rules/monitors/discoveries for the whole management pack versus grouping by class.  Yours is definitely going in my toolkit.

11. borisyan says:

What you can do is first create the overrides and only then call Verify or AcceptChanges.

12. Craig Pero says:

Thank you very much.  I "JUST" figured out (minutes before you replied to this) that I can process all of the over-rides first and then call the "verify" and "accept changes" methods on the TargetManagementPack object instead of after EACH override (from the override object).  I took a "stab" to see if it would work. Now what took 10 minutes takes 15 seconds.

Again, thanks for your reply.

13. borisyan says:

Awesome! Glad to hear this is working well for you.

14. This looks to be a very useful tool. However when I connect to my RMS the application just hangs saying "not responding". But it eats up 50% of my CPU.

I have Domain Admin rights on the server and the Domain Admin group is added to the Operations Manager Administrator in the admin console.

Any ideas?

15. borisyan says:

Do you have a very large number of management packs imported or a very large number of overrides? Does the utility eventually load the data?

16. I have 96 management packs imported right now and only a handfull of overrides. I haven’t had the patience to let the utility run for more than 10 minutes yet… so I don’t know if it eventually loads data.

17. borisyan says:

The reason I asked is to determine whether this is a performance issue in the utility or whether it hangs forever. This way I can better understand how to fix the issue for the next version.

18. I had it running for four (4) hours last tuesday without it ever loading anything.

19. borisyan says:

Thanks. That confirms that the utility is running into a problem loading the information from the management group. I will try to take a look later next week.

20. Bob Cornelissen says:

Hi Boris, same here for the not responding part. I have run it from a Vista workstation and on the RMS itself (win08 64bit). Both the same story. The override-explorer tool loads fine by the way. Thanks for looking into it.

21. David Pavone says:

Hi Boris,

I am also running into the problem with the tool taking forever to load. I let it run for 2.5 hours. I have 200+ MP’s loaded with loads of rules + monitors.

Looking forward to the fix – this is good stuff feel free to send me a message if you want me to try something. dpavone@gmail.com

22. Stan says:

Cool tool, but if it can delete Overrides as well as disable or enable, that would be great also.

23. Cyril says:

Hi Boris

I’m creating a similar tool to create overrides for rules and monitors (modify severity or priority). It works perfect for the monitors but for the rules it just works with some of them. Is there something special with the rules (for modifying alert severity or priority)?

There must be something wrong by passing the parameter "GenerateAlert" – I also tried to enumerate the corresponding ManagementPackWriteActionModule and pass the GUID to the parameter, but no success (it seems that it just accepts the name as parameter)…

Thanks and Greetings from Switzerland!

24. Hi Boris…

I was just wondering if this tool should work in SCOM RC?

thanks candy

25. borisyan says:

it should work

26. Mpviewer 1.7 Visualiser le contenu des MPs sous forme de fichier HTML ou Excel de Boris Yanuspolsky…

27. kobile says:

Hi Boris,

the tool is running on scom r2 ,win2008 sp2, with a lot of MPs. after 2 hours it still in not responding state , the process consuming 13% cpu.

any updates regarding the problem ?

28. Fidelis says:

Hi Boris,

It’s a great tool and it worked perfectly for me. Thanks a lot for making this tool.