The AdventureWorks 2008 Family of Sample Databases

There is a new AdventureWorks family of sample databases available for SQL Server 2008 February CTP at https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=MSFTDBProdSamples.  The AdventureWorks 2008 family of databases demonstrates some of the new features of SQL Server 2008. This family of databases can only be used with SQL Server 2008 and will not install successfully for earlier versions of SQL Server.  The original AdventureWorks family continues to ship for SQL Server 2008, so you have a choice of staying with the compatible schema or trying out the new SQL Server 2008 features depending on which installers you download.  The installers for the AdventureWorks 2008 family all have 2008 in their names.  See the link above for additional details.

Right now most samples are compatible with the AdventureWorks family not the AdventureWorks 2008 family.  As samples are migrated to the new schema the readmes for the samples will be updated and sample and snippets scripts will have statements like USE AdventureWorks2008 in them instead of USE AdventureWorks.

1. BAleiHi says:

I can’t get it to install.  I’m running XP and SQL Server 2008 Express and want to install the AdventureWorks OLDP x86 version (specifically, SQL2008.AdventureWorks_OLTP_DB_v2008.x86.msi).  When I installed SQL Server I forgot to enable FILESTREAM.  When I went to install AdventureWorks, I got that error so I went back and, using SQL Server Configuration Manager I enabled FILESTREAM for the only instance that I have on my machine. I should note that I’m logged into XP under a different user than the one that started the service but they both have full admin privs.

So with FILESTREAM enabled, my AdventureWorks install goes seamlessly.  Only problem is that there’s not database anywhere.  The only thing I find is a .BAK version in the 100/Tools/Samples folder.  There’s a script there to restore and when I run it in SQL Server Management Studio I get the error:

Msg 5591, Level 16, State 4, Line 1

FILESTREAM feature is disabled.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Msg 5011, Level 14, State 5, Line 1

User does not have permission to alter database ‘AdventureWorks2008’, the database does not exist, or the database is not in a state that allows access checks.

Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

What’s up with this?  TIA

2. bonniefe says:

This is a feature of FILESTREAM.  There are two components of enabling FILESTREAM.  If you enable it during setup then both components are enabled.  If you enable it after setup, you need to enable both pieces of FILESTREAM separately.  See http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2008/03/03/filestream-configuration-and-setup-changes-in-sql-server-2008-february-ctp.aspx for details about how to enable both aspects of FILESTREAM.  If you would prefer a simpler approach to enabling FILESTREAM I recommend that you file a SQL Server bug at http://connect.microsoft.com/.

3. Patsy Farkas says:

Hi,

I am looking for the database AdventureWorksDW2008.mdb  for my BI reporting purpose.

Is there a free download link for this database warehouse?

Patsy Farkas

patsyfarkas@hotmail.com

4. bryanwe says:

why does this install adventureworks as "adventureworks" and not "adventureworks2008"?

5. Jim Kennelly says:

Why not provide a script that creates the tables and insert statements that insert the data??????

6. Hi there:

I realise that your post was made a few months ago, but, if you're still battling with the mdf files that are ready to be downloaded, perhaps your next option is to try a script.

There is a download direct from Microsoft that contains data in csv format plus a script to create a database and import those csv files into sql studio express.  This is what helped me not waste any more time with other people's mdf files..  One day i wll try to find out why they didnt work..

In the codeplex website, search for 'Installing Sample Databases' – scroll down until you find 2008. Unzip the file.

Read the instructions, but normally you should run sql express as administrator and, when you open the  script,

make sure that you run it in SQLCMD mode.

I would recommend keeping a  clean copy of the script as well as a copy with the modifications that you make.

You might also find that you get a few errors along the way, but this is all part of learning..

Just be prepared to delete the newly created database after each error, because the script will create a database even if errors occur but the tables will be empty.

Change all the paths from the generic word to the actual path that you want to put your data files into.

There should be the script.

I have discovered, after wasting days, that you just have to be so patient, especially as more people seem to have lots of questions (such as myself) than those who do have all the answers..

Good luck

7. preet says:

The database 'AdventureWorks' cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

Could not open new database 'AdventureWorks'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)