Over the holidays I decided to review all of Microsoft's SharePoint related updates and changes from 2014. I have to say I was really blown away by what I found! Normally, during an "off" year (a year without a major SharePoint release) the action would be limited to partners and customers as Microsoft hunkered down and worked on the next big release. But things have changed. Microsoft has delivered on its promise to continually update SharePoint, especially SharePoint Online!
I thought I'd share my list; each one represents an announcement by Microsoft of something big. These are mostly just the SharePoint related items; there were dozens more if you include BI related stuff and the rest of the product suite. I present it here for your review - did you miss any of these?
A few people asked me about predictions for 2015. Well, anything specific that I might or might not know about would be subject to NDA anyway, so they'll have to be pretty general. That said, my crystal ball is unambiguously cloudy for the new year!
- Microsoft will continue to roll out cool enhancements for Office 365, and not so much for on-premises. This will include at least one or two more "NextGen" portals as Mark Kashman alluded to in the Office 365 Video announcement.
- SharePoint 2015 will be delivered as promised for on-premises customers. It won't provide all the features of SharePoint Online, and will be more complex to set up than ever before, but it will continue to provide up-to-date SharePoint technology outside of the cloud.
- Office 365 server products will continue to converge, with levels of integration that were never possible on premises where Microsoft had to support a mix of product versions. Office 365 Apps and API's will continue to evolve, as will other features that span the entire suite.
OK here's my list of links from 2014; the pace of change is truly staggering! My New Year's resolution is to blog more, and I have a backlog of material that can help you navigate all this change. I'm already working on an article on SharePoint as a Platform, which will provide practical advice on how to navigate all the development and app models available for SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2013.
Thanks for reading!
- Update on InfoPath and SharePoint Forms (InfoPath is Deprecated)
- SkyDrive becomes OneDrive
- SP2013 Service Pack 1 ships!
- Added a subscription licensing model for Apps
- Content apps are now available for PowerPoint 2013 SP1 and PowerPoint Online.
- New API features such as, the document Navigation, Data Formatting, and File Properties APIs.
- New, updated features and API to support using apps for Office for Outlook when composing emails and appointments.
- Updates to the apps for Office user interface to improve the discovery and app insertion experience for end users.
- Additions and changes to the apps for Office manifest schema.
- Updates to the apps for Office and apps for SharePoint licensing model
- Updates to the Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio.
- OneDrive for Business Relaunch
Now offered as a stand-alone service and as part of Office Online with 25GB/employee
- Search for sensitive content in SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business
- Office for iPad
- Office 365 Platform and API's
- SAML Federation with Office 365
- OneNote Free on All Platforms
- SharePoint Online 1TB Site Collections and Unlimited Tenant Storage
- Delve and the Office Graph Announced
- Improvements to Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote Online
- EU Article 29 Working Group approves Office 365, Azure, and other Microsoft cloud services as meeting EU Privacy Requirements
- Autohosted Apps Go Away
- Alternate Login ID for Office 365
- Using SharePoint CSOM and REST with Office 365 API and Azure AD
- Yammer Conversations for OneDrive and SharePoint Online Files
- Office 365 Roadmap Site Launched
- OneDrive for Business 1TB of Storage
- OpenXML SDK goes Open Source
- Office 365 Development Patterns and Practices Launched
- New Admin for SP Online
- Office 365 Storage Improvements - Pooled storage, 500K Site Collections
- Taxonomy Refinement Panel and Faceted Navigation
- Search for Sensitive Content in SharePoint and OneDrive for Business
- Improved Deployment of SP2013 in Azure IaaS (Preview)
- JSON Light for SharePoint REST API
- Sample AngularJS Sites for Office 365 API's Shipped
- Update to O365 API for VS2013 Update3
- Office Delve Launched
- Delivering the first chapter of Groups in Office 365
- Office 365 Themes
- Office 365 Apps announced at TechEd EU
- Data Loss Prevention in SharePoint Online and More
- Office 365 Admin Reporting API
- Introducing Office 365 Video and NextGen Portals
- O365 Updated Authentication - MultiFactor and SAML for Office Client (ADAL)
- New resources for tuning and optimizing O365 Performance
- PowerView Visualizations and PivotTables in Blogs and Websites
Other good articles to check out:
- Useful hidden features in Office 365
- Enterprise Grade Security Compliance in Office 365