This posting will be a "living document". I will update with relevant notes during the day today and tonight. I may flush out individual bullet points in greater detail.
This afternoon I attended sessions on:
High Performance Computing with the Windows Server Compute Cluster Solution
- Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Solution Beta 1 was made available today.
Programming with Concurrency (Part 1)
- Recommended reading:
- Herb Sutter article: "The Free Lunch is Over"
- Vance Morrison - "What Every Dev Should Know About Multithreaded Apps", MSDN Aug/Oct 05
- Andrew Birrell, "Programming with Threads in C#"
- Asynchronous Call docs on MSDN
- Doug Lea, "Concurrent Programming in Java" - The concepts apply to managed code as well.
- Intel Platform 2015
A Lap Around IIS7 [Currently In Progress 4:45pm PDT]
- History of IIS
- Since RTM, IIS6 has had ZERO critical security fixes issued.
- Metabase is DEAD in II7 - See applicationHost.config as the global web configuration file
- inetmgr is DEAD in II7 - See web.config in the virtual directory
- Web Management Tool is the new UI
- Modular design enables you to remove any or all modules. Remove CGI from your web.config if not in use. Remove all MSFT modules and implement others. Reduce the patch/maintenance overhead and attack profile of your web server considerably.
- Improved diagnostics in IIS7 - View real-time server state information of Sites, Apps, AppPools, and AppDomains
- Extensibility is a big part of IIS7 - Custom modules and logging events