Having a home office is a wonderful thing. But, all too often, those of us who do work from home end up mixing our daily lives with our work lives. Anyone who works from home needs to have a space that is specifically for their business. This is especially important for home business owners who have clients or customers visiting, and it is important for you to be comfortable while you are working. If you have, or are setting up a home business, here are some ways to make it look like an actual business and not just a home office, and a place that you really want to get to work in.
- Use Natural Light – If it is at all possible, take advantage of natural lighting. For instance, place your desk close to a window, parallel to the panes. This gives you the right amount of natural light you need to work, and you won’t end up with the sun glaring in your eyes, or in the eyes of your customers. Natural light is also softer, and it creates a more relaxing atmosphere. But, there are going to be times when you need additional lighting, so make sure that there are a few good lamps in the room, including a desk lamp. Attractive lamps not only give off a soft glow, they can also make great conversation pieces and ice breakers.
- Look at Ergonomics – It is important to be comfortable while you are working in order to avoid certain work-related injuries, such as neck pain or carpal tunnel syndrome. Make sure your computer screen is at eye level or just a bit below. The keyboard and mouse should be at waist level so you don’t have to raise your arms. Your feet should be firmly planted on the floor or a footrest. You also need a chair that is going to be comfortable, and not too hard on your back. You may even want to consider getting a special back rest to use while you are working.
- Upgrade Your Technology – No one wants to work with outdated technology, and customers aren’t exactly encouraged when they see a business that isn’t using the latest technology. If you don’t have enough money to do this, you can sell your old gadgets to make money to put towards new technology. You can easily do this online on sites like Sell My iPhone, and you don’t even have to pay to ship the items out. You are usually paid within 48 hours of your items being received, and then you can take that money and start upgrading your technology.
- Keep Business Separate from Home – When you work from home, it can be extremely difficult to separate your home life from your business. It can also be really easy to procrastinate, and mix business with pleasure. Over time, you find yourself doing more of the latter, and business is slipping. Get rid of distractions, such as video games, televisions, etc. Only have the things you need for your business in the office, and make sure that your family knows that this room is for your business only, and that they are not to interrupt you unless it is an emergency.
- Be Creative with Storage – With a home office, you don’t always have a lot of storage space. But, you can be creative with the space you have. For instance, if your business requires books, get a couple of attractive book shelves. Use filing cabinets or magazine racks for storing papers. If there is a closet in the room, take full advantage of it. Add a shelving system in the closet so you can get more storage room in such a small space. Some furniture items can also double as extra storage space. Use a desk that has drawers, a coffee table with a lower shelf, etc.