1. Why are you building this startup? What does it do?
We still believe that a Data Warehouse is the best platform for the foundation of a Business Intelligence system in the Enterprise, with great promise to deliver real benefit to the business. However, in the past, this promise has not been realized. The standard way of building a Data Warehouse took so long, that, by the time the Data Warehouse was complete (if at all) , the business had moved on. Also the resulting Data Warehouse was so difficult and costly to maintain and modify that it couldn't keep up with the changing business requirements, and became a burden rather than a driver for the business. Gartner has said that 70% of BI project will fail! Many business are looking at alternatives to Data Warehousing, but all these alternatives have their own issues. In the end, data is dirty, and someone, somewhere needs to deal with it!
We've taken aim directly at the 'problem' of Data Warehousing, and developed a Data Warehouse development Automation tool for the Microsoft SQL Server platform that makes developing a Data Warehouse much faster, and far more flexible. We want to help businesses building Microsoft based Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence solutions to become far more productive, to get their head out of Data Warehouse and ETL code, and concentrating on what really matters, delivering fantastic analytics that drive business performance, identify problems and opportunities, and inform decision making.
2. What does a product marketing team need to understand from engineering about how to sell the product?
As a tool vendor we want them to understand that, although the user of our product is a developer, it is the benefit we can deliver up the organisation hierarchy that really matters. For the CIO we deliver productivity, lower costs, quality, and the ability to respond to business requirements. We want IT to confidently say 'Yes' more often. For business managers and executives, this tool means better insight, when they need it. It means that when they go to their internal Business Intelligence unit with new requirements, the Business Intelligence unit can respond far quicker, and without resistance.
As a consultancy we want them to know that our unique selling point is the ability to marry
- Business strategy, objectives and KPIS with
- Business Intelligence... delivering relevant information, at the right time, to every employee in the business, so they can impact that Strategy with
- Our core competency and advantage which is the ability to deliver data management faster and better than just about anyone else in the industry
3. What impact or legacy do you hope to make in the market and in the business world?
We want to make building and maintaining a Data Warehouse trivial, (or as trivial as it can be), so that developers can concentrate on delivering on the 'promise' of Business Intelligence, and get the satisfaction of impacting businesses across the globe in really positive ways.
4. What advice do you have for anyone wanting to start a business in your country?
My first piece of advice is to get involved in the local entrepreneurial programs (like Bizspark and River City Labs in Brisbane) in your city. There is some great advice to be found out there.
My second piece of advice is to be tenacious and bold. Being an entrepreneur will test you, on a personal level, in many different ways, and you must rise to the challenge.
5. How do you work with investors, or do you currently use any outside money at all?
Currently we are self funded, using consulting income to fund development and marketing etc. We are certainly interested in seeking funding to accelerate our growth.
6. Why would an entrepreneur turn to Microsoft for help in building scale, a team, or using software?
Microsoft is being extremely innovative in the cloud space, something we want to utilize, and is very supportive of startups with its Bizspark program. I would recommend joining Bizspark not only for the software and Azure cloud support, but also for the connections you can make
through the program. Microsoft have a compelling set of technologies including Azure, SQL Sever, .NET etc, that are a great basis on which to build a solution.