Using "Scale-Out" deployments In SQL Server Reporting Services 2005

Today I really played around with scale out deployments in 2005 (known as “reporting farms” in earlier versions) for the first time since I worked with them in 2000, and found an interesting behavior:

I wanted to point my 2005 Enterprise Edition at a reportserver database sitting on 2005 Developer Edition. I figured this would work, because books online says:

Requirements for a scale-out deployment include the following:

• The Reporting Services edition must be Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation. Standard edition does not support a scale-out deployment.

Well, it’s not quite that simple. It turns out that while Enterprise and Developer can be part of the same Scale-out deployment, you can only join a Developer Edition web service TO an Enterprise reportserver database. If you try and do what I did, you ‘ll get this error message:

The feature: “Using other editions of SQL Server for report data sources and/or the report server database” is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services

Many Thanks to Brad Syputa for helping me out with this!

…and many thanks to Heidi Steen who just sent me some additional information which will be in a future update of books online!

For this edition of SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services

Use this edition of the Database Engine instance to host the database

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services (local only).

Workgroup Edition

Workgroup Edition (local only)

Evaluation Edition

Standard, Evaluation, Enterprise Editions (local or remote)

Developer Edition

Standard, Developer, Enterprise Editions (local or remote)

Standard Edition

Standard, Enterprise Editions (local or remote)

Enterprise Edition

Standard, Enterprise Editions (local or remote)

1. kdoyle says:

So how do you find out what edition of the database engine instance you’ve got installed?  I’m a developer who some time ago either installed the developer or standard edition, I no longer remember which.  I’m now trying to add Reporting Services, and I tried the std edition.  All the version numbers are showing up as 9.00.1399.06, so I’d think they would be compatible but I get the "using other editions is not supported" error and I can’t get past the database connection page.  Uninstalling RS seems to be an issue as well– I tried control panel->add/remove progs->ms sql server 2005->change->reporting services and set it to "will not be available" but it has no effect.  Do I have to reinstall all of SQL Server 2005 just to add RS at this point because I chose to install the wrong one?

2. russch says:

If you execute the query "select @@version" in SQL Server Management Studio against your server, you’ll get something like this (note my version is odd because I’m running a beta of SP2)

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – 9.00.3027.00 (Intel X86)

Oct 27 2006 15:59:00

Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation

Developer Edition on Windows NT 6.0 (Build 5600: )

Note the "Developer Edition" Part…..

3. Jim says:

How do you know which version of SQL Reporting Services you have installed?

4. russch says:

Check the ReportServerService log file in C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.3Reporting ServicesLogFiles. You’ll see something like this:

ReportingServicesService!resourceutilities!4!1/22/2007-13:44:00:: i INFO: Reporting Services starting SKU: Enterprise

5. MagnusJ says:

Well, this is really a bummer.

Today I just experienced this error message, trying to integrate my Reporting Services db (Developer edition) with the Sharepoint Services DB (MOSS 2007, Express edition).

I will guess that the only solution is to upgrade the Express to Development…

6. Chinmay says:

I had SQL Express installed earlier. But I uninstalled it followed by installing a  Enterprise Edition SQL Server 2005. But the report service still feels that the database is express and not enterprise.

Any ideas on getting the setup to point to the enterprise database. Appears the Express uninstall did not do a clean uninstall

7. Israel says:

I´m trying to run some reports that have been already created in Reporting Services 2005 in Reporting Servicies 2000, but I get the error "The feature: "Using other editions of SQL Server for report data sources and/or the report server database" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services. (rsOperationNotSupported)" does anyone Knows how can I fix this problem.

PS

I´m new in this databases stuffs.

8. Thomas says:

Here’s the query that will tell you what you’re running…

SELECT  SERVERPROPERTY(‘productversion’), SERVERPROPERTY (‘productlevel’), SERVERPROPERTY (‘edition’)

9. Sad DBA says:

It’s unnecessary things like this that make me cry myself to sleep at night.  Why do you hate us, Microsoft?

10. Aaron says:

I know this is a very old thread but I’m receiving this error on standard edition.  SQL Report Services was not installed so I went to Add/Remove Programs | Change | Etc. to install Reporting Services.

According to the table above I should be able to use SSRS.  Any thoughts?

Version

9.00.4035.00 SP3 Standard Edition

Log File

ReportingServicesService!library!8!3/16/2009-15:16:55:: e ERROR: restricted SKUs: Workgroup Express Developer Enterprise Standard  – actual SKU Standard

ReportingServicesService!library!8!3/16/2009-15:16:55:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.OperationNotSupportedException: The feature: "The Database Engine instance you selected is not valid for this edition of Reporting Services. The Database Engine does not meet edition requirements for report data sources or the report server database. " is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services., ;

Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.OperationNotSupportedException: The feature: "The Database Engine instance you selected is not valid for this edition of Reporting Services. The Database Engine does not meet edition requirements for report data sources or the report server database. " is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.

11. Marvin. says:

I had this problem on SQL Standard 2005 too.  I just notice that the backup i tried to mount came from SQL Standard with Service Pack 1, and my new Reporting Service Instance has Service Pack 2.  I´ll apply Service Pack 2 to my old instance and repeat the procedure.

I hopy it works