Orcas Beta 2 has been deployed on our dogfood server for about a month now and has been running quite well with very few patches. We’ve been focusing primarily on cleaning up the event log and making sure we fix any bugs generating event log entries, making appropriate eventlog entries clear and actionable and removing spurious ones.
I think I’ve mentioned before that increased adoption of TFS within DevDiv has been stalled for the past several months as the division has been totally focused on getting Orcas finished. It’s performance review time of the year at Microsoft and as part of that process Soma has put on his review commitments (and I on mine) that all future development in DevDiv will be based on TFS – we’ll be essentially shutting down the internal tools we’ve used in parallel with TFS over the next 6 to 9 months. This is an exciting step for me!
Also Office’s adoption of TFS continues apace and we went live with a TFS server for Windows about a week ago. They have built a custom process template and plan on using TFS for their project management in the next version of Windows. They’ve only just started rolling it out so I’ll talk more about their usage in a few months as they really get going with it. The SQL division continues to use TFS and is planning on upgrading to the Orcas release in July. Also, yesterday, I talked to the CodePlex team about upgrading to Orcas once Beta 2 ships to help address some of the scale issues they face as the number of projects they are managing grows rapidly.
Progress on Orcas Beta 2 is coming along well. We are in what we call “ask mode”. That means that the # of fixes going in now is very low and every fix is being extremely carefully reviewed – 2 code reviews and at least 2 “triage” reviews to assess the severity of the issue and appropriateness of the fix. We do this to reduce the chance of introducing a regression as we fix the last few significant issues before we ship the Beta.
Beta 2 is going to be a great release for us. TFS will have a “go-live” license, so we’ll support (and encourage) any one putting it in a production environment. We will also support migrating the data in all Beta 2 installations forward to the final release and beyond.
On to the statistics…
The notable recent thresholds include:
- We finally passed 100,000,000 files and folders
- We passed 2,000,000 work item versions
Here’s the recent trend data:
- Recent users: 1,030 (down 3)
- Users with assigned work items: 2,916 (up 147)
- Version control users: 2,418 (up 94)
- Work Items: 245,396 (up 19,046)
- Areas & Iterations: 7,503 (up 109)
- Work item versions: 2,044,668 (up 159,296)
- Attached files: 87,738 (up 8,125)
- Queries: 17,871 (up 709)
- Files/Folders: 83,945,675/17,842,112 (up 2,700,770/up 606,822)
- Total compressed file size: 989,643 MB (up 107,300 MB)
- Checkins: 231,364 (up 12,847)
- Shelvesets: 11,099 (up 904)
- Merge history: 194,592,866 (up 7,183,846)
- Pending changes: 2,400,727 (down 248,552)
- Workspaces: 5,505 (up 327)
- Local copies: 604,484,134 (up 38,314,931)
Commands (last 7 days)
- Work Item queries: 336,836 (up 178,131)
- Work Item updates: 28,156 (down 8,095)
- Work Item opens: 340,360 (up 255,757)
- Gets: 65,177 (down 4,694)
- Downloads: 19,206,953 (down 4,818,821)
- Checkins: 2,264 (down 1,093)
- Uploads: 360,827 (up 193,973)
- Shelves: 932 (down 212)