OK, I’ve digested the feedback from a variety of sources and want to play it back. As with any sufficiently involved topic, I won’t capture everything everyone said but rather I’m just trying to capture the recurring patterns.
So what I’ve heard is:
- You like CTPs very much. They provide a valuable way to get early insight into what is coming, engage in discussion and give feedback.
- You like having them be frequent – most respondents were happy with the every 1 – 3 month range. There seemed to be consensus that if they come too often you’ll skip some.
- Quality of CTPs is not the #1 consideration but it seemed many would like for CTPs to be a little higher quality and would be willing to pay some frequency to get it but probably not much.
- VPCs are very popular as a distribution mechanism – but not exclusively. It seems clear we need to release both VPC and non-VPC versions to satisfy the needs.
- Many of you remarked about the pain of many incompatible CTPs. There’s a tension here between the cost to produce them (testing them with everything else) and the frequency but I hear that it’s something we should spend some time thinking about. Maybe just being more explicit about what works with what would help some.
- You would like us to be better about describing what is in a CTP – what you should look at and what you should avoid.
Have I captured the key feedback? Is there anything important that I missed?