OK, the book is 8 years old now, but still has some very good marketing tips. Specifically, regarding how to connect with your customer. Since I focus on consumer products (Windows Live), these ring especially true to me. I like the following tips from the book:
- Companies must communicate “conversationally” with their markets in a real voice, not in “marketing speak”; and it must be genuine.
- Product positioning means taking a position that reflects the values that the market cars about, which means it needs to help create an emotional connection to your product.
- To develop loyal customers, companies must participate in their customer’s communities: online and offline.
- Companies must participate in the conversation happening about their products, not just push out messages.
- Public relations needs to be private relations with individuals in the press, specific analysts, and influential bloggers.
- Be human, play, and be what you say you are. I internalize this to “live your company’s values”.