Thinking about applying Balanced Scorecard ideas to an organization comes down to making that organization (company, division, team, etc.) focused on the strategy that drives it. You could call this a Strategy Focused Organization. I just watched a nice overview of this idea at www.bscol.com, which states:
- Translate the strategy so that it can be understood by everyone in the organization.
- Align the different parts of the organization to create synergy between the different parts.
- Motivate everyone in the organization by making strategy a part of everyone's job.
- Learn and adapt to changes (evolutions) by making the process of reviewing and updating your strategy a continuous process.
- Mobilize the organization to understand, align, get excited about, and continually improve the strategy by leading by example.
If you're interested, I highly suggest checking out what www.bscol.com has to offer - it looks like some good stuff.