ASP.NET 2.0 How Do I Video Series is here — a must see

I think I’ve been talking about these FOREVER — and they have been in production for a long time, but we finally got them done and posted to MSDN.  Over 2hrs of amazing How Do I: content focusing on the common questions developers are facing everyday with ASP.NET 2.0.  Share them with everyone you know — experienced, newbie, or evaluating — I think they are pretty darn cool 🙂

HOW DO I Video Series: Caching (Part 1)

This video is part one of a two-part series introducing the new caching
features of ASP.NET 2.0. Start with a demonstration of Page Output Caching
followed by an overview of the new ASP.NET 2.0 Database Caching support for
SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005. Topics include using the
aspnet_regsql.exe utility to add SQL caching support to a SQL Server
database, creating a SQL cache dependency to eliminate unnecessary
connections to the database, enabling table-level caching, and enabling
enhanced caching support using SQL Server 2005 Change Notifications.

HOW DO I Video Series: Caching (Part 2)

This video is part two of a two-part series introducing the new caching
features of ASP.NET 2.0. Topics include the new Partial-Page Output Caching
feature of ASP.NET 2.0 followed by an overview of the Cache API, which
demonstrates how to efficiently bind a data control to an XML file.

HOW DO I Video Series: Create a Full-Featured Customer Login Portal

Get an overview of the major features and improvements introduced with Visual
Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and ASP.NET 2.0. Follow along through the
creation of a fictitious customer portal to learn about topics including
Master Pages, Themes, database access, Membership, Roles, the Web Site
Administration Tool, site navigation, and user profiles.

HOW DO I Video Series: Data

This video illustrates how simple it is to create data-driven web sites using
Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, ASP.NET 2.0, and SQL Server 2005
Express Edition. See the integrated data editing support provided by Visual
Web Developer that simplifies database creation and population using the
Database Explorer and DataSet Designer. Explore how easy it is to create a
master-details view with support for filtering, sorting, paging, and editing
with no code using the DropDownList, GridView, DetailsView, and ObjectDataSource

HOW DO I Video Series: Form Building for a “Contact Us” Page

This video introduces a number of the new ASP.NET 2.0 controls for building
forms to collect information from the user, validate that information, then
send a confirmation e-mail message. Features covered include the Wizard
control, Validation controls, and the System.Net.Mail classes for sending
e-mail messages.

HOW DO I Video Series: Localization

This video is a tour of the web site localization support in Visual Web
Developer 2005 Express Edition. Learn how to create culture-aware and
locale-specific web content with ASP.NET 2.0 with no additional code. Topics
include the new declarative binding syntax, page-level vs. application-level
resources, and using the rich resource editor.

HOW DO I Video Series: Master Pages and Site Navigation

Create a Web site with a consistent layout and design across all its pages
using ASP.NET 2.0 Master Pages. Become familiar with the enhanced designer
support for creating and consuming Master Pages in Visual Web Developer 2005
Express Edition. See the improved Table Editor and Style Builder in action
and learn how easy it is to add navigation to a Web site using the new
TreeView and SiteMapPath controls.

HOW DO I Video Series: Membership and Roles

Learn how to secure a Web site using the new Membership and Roles features of
ASP.NET 2.0. Topics include user registration, password recovery, and
restricting access to content with roles. Get a tour of how the Web Site
Administration Tool simplifies user account administration and makes it easy
to control content access permissions.

HOW DO I Video Series: Profiles and Themes

Discover how to create a customizable Web site using Visual Web Developer
2005 Express Edition and ASP.NET 2.0. Learn how to use Profiles to collect
per-user configuration information and apply Themes to extend a consistent
look-and-feel throughout the Web site.

HOW DO I Video Series: Tips and Tricks

This Tips & Tricks video covers many useful techniques for enhancing
ASP.NET 2.0 web sites using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Topics
include encrypting sensitive information stored in web.config, maintaining
the browser scroll position across postbacks, posting content to a different
page, setting focus on a specific control when a page is loaded, creating a
bulleted list of hyperlinks from an XML file, working with the file upload
control, simplifying complex URLs using URL remapping, and using the
MultiView control to switch between groups of content programmatically.

HOW DO I Video Series: Web Parts and Personalization

This video shows how to use the new Web Parts and Personalization features of
ASP.NET 2.0 and the designer support provided by Visual Web Developer 2005
Express Edition to build customizable web pages whose content and layout can
be modified by the user. See how Web Parts enable the user to add new content
to a page on-the-fly and restructure the page in the browser using

1. Evdin N. URSAN says:

Those videos are great! Short and clear! Congratulations…

Thank you!

2. andryuha says:

these are great!!!

3. Just got a note in from Brian Goldfarb to let us know about his new ASP.NET 2.0 – the How Do…

4. Tom Pester says:

yep n1 great content Thx!!

5. Brian Goldfarb from the ASP.NET team just  posted about a new series of "How Do I…" videos. …

6. Brian Goldfarb from the ASP.NET team just  posted about a new series of "How Do I…" videos. …

7. Parag Kantharia says:

What is the best resolution to watch this 2 videos

8. bgold says:

I’d suggest 1024×768

9. Hi Brian,

It such a nice job done by you, Its clear to the point approach, specially for new Developer…

I wishes very best to you

10. Lars says:

I see that you most of the time use Sql Server.

How about lowering the level for us Access-users?

Your demoes are great(even greater if you used Access)!

11. System fonts in the videos says:

Great videos. I also noticed that the system fonts look great. What is the font (or fonts) he is using?

Any ideas? Just curious…

12. Ashish says:

Yes! the videos are very COOL. The are loaded with content and right to the point. Thanks for sharing them. Couple of quick questions.

1. Are U plan on making any more videos?

2. What software did U use to record the videos.

13. bgold says:

System Fonts: I don’t know off the top of my head, but I have an emai in to find out — I’ll report back when I hear.

14. bgold says:

1) Yes!  We are definitely going to be doing more — hopefully some built by the product team themselves, so slightly lower production value, but 5-15 minute vigenttes of their technology areas.

2) I have an email in to figure this out, but when I do recordings like this I typically use Camtasia to record and then I use Windows Media Encoder to convert the AVI’s over to WMV.

15. Kevin says:

Fantastic time saver!

It also great for boosting your knowledge for interviews… 🙂

16. bgold says:

System Fonts:  The videos are using Segoe

Ashish: I was right, initial screen caps done in Camtasia — but there was post production work done.

17. distero says:

where can we find the code you use in your video’s ?

not all code is explained or is shown on the screen

— a.o. ccs files, theme files etc …

18. stratboy says:

I’m just getting started with Whidbey.  So far, these short vids are just what I needed to jump start my knowledge.  I feel like I should send you a percentage of my next few checks….but I’m not gonna.  🙂

Thanks putting these out!  I look forward to more.

19. The long awaited ASP.NET "How do I" series of short videos has been posted.

See Brian’s post for more…

20. bgold says:

distero: I’ll work to get the code posted soon– great idea

21. Dev Notes says:

New high quality "How Do I" videos are now available here ….Cool Stuff !Via Brian

22. erol says:

size bi bakalım bakam   naparsınız!!!!!!!……

23. rlmb says:

Bravo! Can’t wait to see more!! Thank you.

24. PeteL's Blog says:

Like Scott Guthrie (our GM) I spend a bit of time every day reading blogs, and surfing forums. …

25. Patrick says:

Am I the only one that get flickering video output for the first two videos (haven’t checked the rest yet)?

26. Patrick says:

Ah, I found out what was wrong – I had turned the overlays setting off in WMP.

Great videos, btw.

27. alex says:

I wish you can provide the code of the videos.

28. Jai says:

This is just great.

29. bgold says:

I’ve seen a bunch of requests here and on ScottGu’s blog ( for the code for these videos.  We have the code, and are in the process of getting it posted.  Sometimes that can take some time, so I’m hoping in the next week or so — I’ll post when it happens.

30. These video’s are great for novice as well as intermediate.

Great presentation and tecnique to explain.

Keep on working… great stuff…

31. Roanoke Brian says:

Thanks Brian, great stuff to pass on!

32. Wow, Very good resource to learn ASP.NET 2.0

33. Ashraf says:

Those videos are great! Short and clear! Congratulations

34. Asif Hasnain says:

Excellent Work. Very clear & to the point. Looking forward for more stuff.

35. Steve says:

I’ve been doing web development for nearly 5 years and .NET for almost 2. I think these are great… but I dont see much on Intranet related development. As far as the one video about Roles and Membership, I would like to see a movie that is more in line with querying Active Directory and catering to a Single Sign On (SSO) type of environment. I would really like to see that and how (if) I could then use the Roles to display specific content by a users identity within a WebPart / Personalization framework that can work across trusted domains. These are great videos but I would really like to see some Intranet related VS2005 / VWD 2005 solutions in a 15-30 min video instead of having to find all this information and then sandbox it myself. I would like to see how some of these guys put that stuff together and learn some best practices from their experience. Regardless, these are great learning videos. -Steve

36. bgold says:

Great feedback — we are working on a more intranet focused starter kit and are hoping to release another rev to the provier toolkit that shows AD interactions.  In addition, we are hoping to do another round of HowDoI videos and I’ll make sure this gets on the list.  I’d expect it in late Summer though — I need to get these videos built for Windows Forms and then IIS7 next 🙂

37. Amey from India says:

These videos are too excellent. Very simple & clear. An easy way to learn ASP.NET .

U have done a great work…

Can I get some more videos on

38. bgold says:

Amey — Glad you are enjoying the videos, we are working on creating more videos over the coming months for Windows Forms, IIS7 and ASP.NET — I expect the ASP.NET ones to be done in the August time-frame.

Right now we are building out a set of very powerful data tutorials for ASP.NET 2.0 (38 to be exact) and we’ll start publishing them in early April (hopefully).  I think you’ll like them.

39. Bob Campbell says:

The whole series is excellent, but one question… Is there any place we can post questions on the content. For instance… On the building a contact page video in VWD, I cannot for the life of me get this code to work.

Private Sub SendMail(ByVal from As String, ByVal body As String)

Dim mailServerName As String = ""

Dim message As MailMessage = New MailMessage(from,"",   "feedback", body)

Dim mailClient As SmtpClient = New SmtpClient

mailClient.Host = mailServerName

End Sub

I get a squiggly underline beneath the both instances of the word "from", with error messages "keyword is not valid as an identifier" and "expression expected".   And a squiggly line under both instances of the word "message", with the error message "Name message is not declared".

I am using Imports System.Net.Mail.

40. fanfree says:

thanks for you videos ! hope you create more video for "webpart" and chrome

41. fanfree says:

Great Work. Hope you create more videos about webpart and webpart chrome

42. WilfC. says:

These are fantastic, I am wondering if there are any suck videos targeting new to ASP.NET developers?  I have been developing ASP applications for many years, however I am beginnig to feel left behind and have the desire and need to upgrade my skills.

Thanks for the videos.

Wilf C.

43. bgold says:

Bob: try — I’ll let Scott know that I sent people there.  You can also try posting to the forums ( — I’m sure any of our general purpose forms will get you an answer.

hope this helps.

44. bgold says:

Wilf: check out — lots of great multimedia content there.

Specifically you may want to check out:

which is our Visual Web Developer Express for beginners series — I think it will help.  If it is too basic, check out the Jeff Prosise training, it is the equivlent of a 2-day training course on ASP.NET 2.0 and is rock-solid.

good luck!

45. Saumendra says:

Hi ,

These videos are awesome and really good for anyone in Webdevelopment. Apart from the cool features of ASP.NET it also emphasises on the other comparitive technologies like PHP/JSP and Cold Fusion.

It gives a clear picture on Web Development!!!

Its definetly MY Flavour Of Choice

46. Saumendra says:

A very good Video with lots to learn about the WEB 2.0

47. Newcomer says:

This is great for a new beginner! Thank you!

48. mak hon mun says:

wow… superb quality and i love it… definately i’ve recommended it to my collegues

49. Irwan A. says:

Thank you for posting these… got more to teach us? 🙂

50. Usama Nada says:

Thank you for these wonderful videos and I hope finding more about the new features of ASP.Net2.0

51. Rac says:

These videos are excellent, everyone invlolved with development that I know has been pointed to these videos.

Any chance to get hold of the code for these videos.

52. Rac says:

Thats fine, thanks

53. Nabaz says:

A very good serie, it did help very much. Thanks for a good job!

Well done.

54. Links are cool. Thankx for the effort

55. Ken Yong says:

I have downloaded all the videos. That’s great. I will rate it 99%. I hope there is a video on creating a report with ASP.NET 2.0.

Great Work!!

56. Ken Yong says:

It’s ok. Never mind.

Once again, well done for your work and effort.

57. Wee says:

Dear Brian,

Millions of thanks for your kindness!!