New Master Page templates and XHTML templates/docs available

The beginnings of the ASP.NET Design Center that I talked about many months ago is finally live on MSDN -- this is a set of well documented XHTML templates plus fully functional master page template sites to help give you a solid design foundation for your ASP.NET 2.0 applications.  In addition there are detailed whitepapers explaining design considerations, standards, and accessibility and more.  I think you will find this content to be exceptionally good.  Eventually this will morph into our full fledged ASP.NET Design Center but we are still closing on a few infrastructure issues so that we can practice what we preach (a fully XHTML 1.0 transitional and accessible design site).  It is in the works, but I felt it wasn't worth holding back the content just because the over all site is not ready.  Go there now at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/design/templates/default.aspx

As always, I would love your feedback!

Below is the main copy from the site:

Download these professionally designed Starter Kits and XHTML templates to get you started creating compelling, standards-compliant Web pages with ASP.NET 2.0. There are four Starter Kits below. These Starter Kits are complete web site solutions using ASP.NET’s latest controls (tree view control, grid view control, detail view control, login control, site map path controls and more). There are another 5 XHTML templates below. These are individual XHTML strict Web page templates (available each in two different colors) that are accompanied by design philosophy whitepapers that describe each template’s Section 508 conformance, page layout with CSS (page layouts using CSS floats or tables), Web page accessibility best practices and Web standard resources. All nine templates below are easily customizable and extendable to fit your own content.

1. Brian,

These templates look fantastic! Any chance you guys could slap them on a live server so that they could be explored without having to download, install, create, compile, etc? Thanks!

2. bgold says:

I sent a long the feedback — getting them hosted may take awhile, but something we’ll work on. In the mean time, I know you of all people can handle the downloads 🙂

3. Khuzema says:

Dear Brian,

These templates are great (the web is full of web sites templates), what we require is templates for Web Application/Portal, for example template for web based Payroll/HRMS or Online Sales Order Processing/Procurement. This will be not only great, coming from Microsoft, it will give new dimension to web development. It hope many of asp.net brethen will agree with me.

regards

Khuzema / Kuwait

4. Kevin says:

Hi,

I downloaded all the templates. Some were .exe’s and some were vscontent files. I’ve run them all and they appeared to install somewhere.

My question is how do I find and use them now?

When I try to create a new web site, they don’t show up under my templates. Where do they show up?

Thanks

5. bgold says:

Kevin — thanks for the note, you are absolutely right, the .exe files are broken! That is what I get for not testing the site after it gets propped. I sent an email over to the MSDN team to get the vsi’s corrected right away. The MSI’s however are installing into your My Documents/MSDN/ folder by default — you should be able to find those XHTMl/CSS based templates installed there.

In the mean time to use the .exe based master page templates (the first on the list) download the exe, extract the files — there are 2 files in there, another .zip file and a .vscontent file — ignore the .vscontent file and unzip the other zip into some folder (like mytestsite1) — then you can open that folder in Visual Studio 2005 and have the fully functional site. You can make a copy of the folder to ensure you always have a clean copy.

Once we get those .exe’s converted into proper .vsi files then you’ll be able to download the C# verison of the tmeplates — the VB ones are on the way.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

6. cowgaR says:

Is there an option to install it as a user with non-admin rights, e.g. to this user directory?

MS is slowly taking steps to easy the development for us, the restricted ones 🙂 lately with SQLEE and user instances, so I would really like Microsoft would take the issue of non-being-admin into consideration more often.

I understand (if I am right) that it just need just copy/paste to some other folder, but why is there a need to install it then?

The best way I can imagine is to behave like personall starter kit…

All in all GREAT THANKS for this templates and your work, I am just experiencing hard times with WebParts thought, hope I will find something usefull there, because WP and whole theming around them is giving me hard time. The API isn’t as powerfull as one would like, to skin chrome etc.

, going to download and I will see…

7. Bill Burrows [MVP] says:

Hi Brien,

Great Stuff – Please let us know when the posted .exe files are fixed — thanks.

8. bgold says:

We just reverted the templates all back to MSI’s — we’ll get the VSI’s finished and posted this week hopefully, and then the VB versions early next year (they are almost done).

9. bgold says:

Alright! Updated VSI files are posted, which install the C# version of the templates -so make sure to switch to C# to see them pop up — we will have VB versions soon…

Enjoy!

10. DT says:

I love them! They are definitly helping me.

Suggestions for the future version:

1) Can you guys build templates using ASP.Net 2.0 controls such as Gridview, Details View, Nav Controls, Loginview, WebParts ? The reason is that I had some crazy behavior with Gridview when the columns lengths were getting wide using DIVs w/o tables. Then it’s another large task to figure out how to make every control look consistent with the rest of the website.

2) MS should have a tool to help ASP.Net non-artistic developers make basic graphics, banners, advertising logos, etc.

It’s hard to find good Content images, backgrounds, menu backgrounds that matches the theme we are trying to make as well.

11. mike says:

love the templates. I did have a design question about the corporate/paper theme. Page numbers are listed on the left hand side when there are multiple pages per section. From a design point of view when would users navigate by page number?

12. HILLBILLY says:

yOU GUYS EVER THINK OF PUUTING SOMETING  OUT THERE THAT SOME ONE DOES NONT HAVE TO DINK AROUND WITH; THAT THEY CAN USE FOR THE PURPOSE THEY HAD IN MIND;

INSTEAD OF VEERING OFF COURCE ON A PATH OF DEBUGGING; INSTALLING; UNINSTALLING; DISCUSSING WORK-AROUNDS; ETC.

OR THIS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FUN PART,

AND CREATING REAL WORKING STUFF IS JUST A RUSE…

Skip to main content