Email enabled lists allow you to add items to a Sharepoint 2007 list by sending an email to that list with the item(s) you wish to add as attachment(s).
To use e-mail enabled lists with a simple SMTP server setup on a domain controller server, you can do the following:
- Install SMTP Server.
- Open the IIS MMC snapin.
- Right click on Properties of Default SMTP Virtual Server.
- Click the Access Tab, Relay. Add the IP address of the SharePoint server to the computers that can relay through this virtual server.
- Click the Delivery tab, Advanced. For Masquerade Domain enter the domain name of your server, leave the Smart Host blank. The configuration should look like that.
- Open the SharePoint Central Administration and navigate to the Operations tab.
- Under Topologies and Services categories – you will find a link to Incoming e-mail settings.
- Enable incoming e-mail and use the advanced settings mode.
- Leave the Directory Management Services defaults as they are (No).
- Fill in the e-mail server display address to be <servername>.<DomainName>
- For the drop folder put c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop – if you are not using the default settings you will need to change this.
- Browse to your list/library.
- Click on list settings for a specif list/library.
- Under Communication settings, click Email settings.
- Check the Enable this list to receive e-mails.
- Fill in an e-mail address for the list/library.
To configure e-mail enabled lists with a simple SMTP server setup on a standalone server, take a look at the steps highlighted here http://jopx.blogspot.com/2006/11/configuring-incoming-email-settings-in.html
To configure Incoming Email Enabled Libraries in MOSS2007 RTM using Exchange 2003 in an Active Directory Domain, check out this white paper http://www.combined-knowledge.com/Downloads%202007.htm