Marketing Eye for the Dev Guy

Ok, I’m taking a break from blogging about Gotdotnet today to talk about the idea for a new cable show that sprang upon me like a panther on a protein jag.

It was inspired by’s very own snazzy lead product manager, Dave Morehouse ( communities team). I have to tell you that Dave is a man of substance, suave haircuts, and snazzy shirts, but it’s his documentation that always makes me feel unkempt and well, like my specs just don’t wash behind their ears. Every time I get a document from Dave I read it, and then I spend literally 5 minutes turning green with envy at how cool the fonts are and how nicely organized everything is. My hair snarls, and I am despondent.

But then he sent me an email – a meeting agenda reminder or some such about RSS – and I was in even deeper despair because his email signature looked so darn cool. See below.

dave morehouse

sr. product manager | smart components & syndication

mscom crm & communities

That’s when I decided we need a new cable show “Marketing Eye for the Dev Guy” – except of course, it would involve Dev Girls as well – where we’d have a roving horde of nattily dressed product managers come and spiff up our lives. They’d rewrite our specs so they look as smooth as Scoble’s phone and sing like <your favorite band here>. They’d come to our cubicles, scrub out the pizza stains and diet Coke disasters and put up tasteful art and throw out the requirements docs from 1992 that we can’t bear to part with.  In my case, they’d untie the knot of cables that threatens to overwhelm my desk and put little rubber organizer loops around them. Also, they’d make our email signatures look cool in every language, even ASCII. 🙂

They’d hand out certificates for free manicures, pedicures and massages and chide us when we bite our fingernails and reward us when we behave in front of customers with chocolate and perhaps, quality microbrews.

Ok, ok, Gotdotnet is now up and so is Workspaces. Just not officially. We are still doing some tests, but for the most part, your stuff should work. Live it vivid!

1. AndrewSeven says:

Thats a cool signature?

Do his documents have all lower case and random bold too?

2. Betsy says:

No, it’s hard to truly represent someone’s document genius in an HTML world. I’m not even sure the formatting came out right in what I did here.

3. Eric says:

Tidy and spiffy are overrated. Slobs unite! Dave is pretty suave and a snappy dresser.

4. what d<b>o</b> you mean, all <b>low</b>er case and ra<b>ndom b</b>old?

<thx for the unexpected props in an odd context, btw>

5. The bold is probably his email address dmoreh at

6. Kent Sharkey says:

The "random" bolding is a moderately rare Microsoftism. The bold face characters actually spell out his email alias.

Ooops. Guess I shouldn’t have told you that. You might compliment his style personally.

I used to collect obnoxious sigs people use around here, but this one doesn’t qualify. It’s the ones with 10+ lines of text/URLs/phone numbers, photos of the person, or even (was a trend for a while) Javascript wipes that really get to me. They are almost as bad as one line emails with 20 lines of "This email is intended… blah, blah, blah, some lawyer thought this was useful."

Still, his sig (and style) is definitely better (and more informative) than mine.

TTFN – Kent

7. a victory for us "marketing" guys in showing that substance is always trumped by style. <insert ironic grin> Remember: it’s not how you feel… it’s how you look! (Now what was the name of that Billy Crystal character on SNL a zillion years ago?)

8. Eric says:

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie

That’s dmoreh

9. patrick says:

sorry, i don’t get it.

10. Jana says:

Being one of Morehouse’s (that what I call him; Morehouse) teammates, I can tell you he is ever bit what Betsy said. The first day he joined our team I thought "Man, I am going to have to dress up more to keep up with this guy". His style does bleed into his communication plans…very sleek, yet welcoming. Maybe he can be our team’s Style Expert…I know we could use the help 😐 He is one heck of a guy, when he looks good, we all look good around here 🙂

11. a parody of "That’s Amore", as was sung by Dean Martin

"When the moon hits you eye like a big pizza pie

That’s amore"

12. Rich Ersek says:

haha – keep ’em out of my office. I don’t want to see motivational posters on the walls and little statues about golf on my desk 😉

13. Finally, the master has revealed himself.

My imminently suave co-worker, nicknamed by our director Sandy…