A while back I started posting a monthly rollup of interesting community happenings, content, samples and extensions popping up around Visual Studio LightSwitch. If you missed those rollups you can check them all out here: LightSwitch Community & Content Rollups.
This month was exciting for us on the Visual Studio team as we’re driving hard to get the final release of Visual Studio 2013 out the door! The team has also been cranking out content on all our new features. Read on…
Visual Studio 2013 Release Candidate
Visual Studio 2013 RC was released early September as we announced on the team blog. If you haven’t downloaded this yet what are you waiting for? Hurry up! We want to ship this thing! :-)
We’ve written about a lot of the new features and we’ve got a lot more posts rolling out on our team blog. Things like:
- Better Team Development Support; SCC, Team Build, Testing & Code Analytics
- Database Projects (SSDT) Support
- Solution Explorer Enhancements & Multi-Designer Support
- New Table Control
- DateTimeOffset Support
- Choice List Improvements
- Created By / Modified By fields on tables
- Person Business Type
- New Cloud Business App Project Template
- And much more!
Check out some of my personal favorite features here. And thanks to all of you who have found some tricky bugs and expressed feedback in our forum! You can also report bugs on Connect which will put bugs directly into our bug database – this is the fastest way to get bugs in front of the team.
Visual Studio LightSwitch “Town Hall” Recording Available
On Sept 12th we held a public online “Town Hall” meeting where we demonstrated what we’ve been working on, discussed our product direction, and answered a ton of tough questions from the community. It was very well received. Thanks all for coming!
Earlier this month Syncfusion released Essential Studio for LightSwitch which provides a collection of control, theme and shell extensions for LightSwitch. Controls include DataGrid, Chart, Report Viewer, and more. Check it out!
Xpert360 Updates Lightning Data Adapter for Dynamics CRM
Xpert360 updated their Dynamics CRM Lightning Data Adapter so it’s now compatible with Visual Studio 2013. This is a Data Source Extension that enables quick and easy access to your Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online or On-Premise data. Check it out!
BTW, you can see all of their popular LightSwitch extensions here.
LightSwitch at Silicon Valley Code Camp
|I’ll be speaking again this year at the biggest code camp in the world – Silicon Valley Code Camp – this weekend October 5th & 6th. I’ve been speaking there for years and it’s always a well run and very well attended code camp.
They just reached capacity at 4500 registered! That’s the biggest yet. I’m very excited to be presenting about all the new goodies in LightSwitch and Cloud Business Apps in VS2013. Hope to see you in my sessions:
– Building HTML5-based Business Apps on Azure with LightSwitch
– Developing Office 365 Cloud Business Apps with Visual Studio 2013
More Notable Content this Month
Did I miss anything significant? Post a comment below!
Extensions released this month (see over 100 of them here!):
Samples (see over 100 of them here!):
- Dynamics CRM – HTML5 and Silverlight Sample Application (Xpert360)
- Simple web-api based file upload and download with LightSwitch (Paul Van Bladel)
- Setting up a Ria Service in LightSwitch with Row level security and no warnings. (Paul Van Bladel)
- Announcing LightSwitch in Visual Studio 2013 Release Candidate!
- My Favorite New LightSwitch Features in Visual Studio 2013 (Beth Massi)
- Team Development Series – Part 5: Leveraging Code Analytics (Ravi Eda)
- The LightSwitch HTML Table Control (Rohit Agrawal)
- Using SharePoint Documents in LightSwitch HTML Client (Prem Ramanathan)
- What Time Is It? Global Time (Steve Lasker)
This month I’d like to give a shout out to Clemens Reijnen who started blogging some good information about LightSwitch SharePoint apps. Also the famous LightSwitch-ers, Michael Washington, Paul Van Bladel and Robert MacLean, released a ton of content including a couple awesome samples this month. Great job and keep it up guys!
- Backup – AIDE for LightSwitch Exchange Hub
- Cloud Business App (LightSwitch SharePoint) development and test environments.
- Different ways to work with SharePoint Lists in Visual Studio 2013 LightSwitch
- Example 1: Passing a simple string
- Example 2: Passing an object and avoiding ugly global variables
- Getting rid of compilation warnings in an intrinsic ria service
- HowTo: Filter via code in Wijmo Grid for LightSwitch HTML
- Integrating PayPal With Visual Studio LightSwitch
- JQuery Mobile Tree Using Collapsible Sections and Dynamic Views in LightSwitch
- Making a LightSwitch intrinsic RIA service row level security aware (part 1 of 2)
- Making a LightSwitch intrinsic RIA service row level security aware (part 2 of 2)
- Paging and Sorting in LightSwitch HTML Client
- Sending Asynchronous Emails Using LightSwitch HTML Client
- Something you should know about LightSwitch Screens – Part 1
- Something you should know about LightSwitch Screens – Part 2
- The simplest way to Download binary data in LightSwitch
- The simplest way to upload files to a Lightswitch application
- Top 10 things to know about the LightSwitch HTML Client
- Using jQuery Mobile Radio Buttons in LightSwitch
- Yammer Time! or How to post to Yammer from an LightSwitch Office365/SharePoint app
Top Forum Answerers
Thanks to all our LightSwitch forum contributors! Thank you for helping make the LightSwitch community a better place. It’s selfless dedication like this that makes our community rock.
Top 5 forum answerers in September:
|Huy Nguyen MSFT||16||23|
Keep up the great work guys!
LightSwitch Team Community Sites
Become a fan of Visual Studio LightSwitch on Facebook. Have fun and interact with us on our wall. Check out the cool stories and resources. Here are some other places you can find the LightSwitch team:
(oh and P.S. My baseball team made the playoffs! Go A’s!!!)