Interesting Warning about PHP and Apache 2.0

Excerpt from the PHP Manual:

Warning

Do not use Apache 2.0 and
PHP in a production environment neither on Unix nor on Windows.

No comment…

1. Anonymous says:

Play nice now…

2. Anonymous says:

Well, what’s that all about?

3. Anonymous says:

Reading the PHP manual? Thinking of jumping? ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Anonymous says:

Senkwe: I think Apache 2 was officially released in the middle of the PHP4 QA cycle.

5. Anonymous says:

Don’t make me mention stuff about IIS/Windows instability :).

If you dont like the warning, just sit down and make the php support for apache 2 stable.

6. Anonymous says:

well, at least they tell it and don’t let you fall in the trap ๐Ÿ˜‰ i set up php & apache 2 easily and it works great.. so the pronunciation is on "production environment"..

7. Anonymous says:

I would like to point out that IIS 6.0/Windows 2003 has an extremely good track record in terms of stability and security. You should acknowledge that at the time of this writing there are 0 (zero!) vulnerabilities for IIS 6.0 (released April 03). You probably know that other web servers had quite a number of vulnerabilities in the same timeframe.

8. Anonymous says:

Um, of course not everyone uses IIS 6 :-). I can tell on IIS 6/Windows 2003 stability, and I agree with you.

Also note that the bugs revealed in Apache, itโ€™s because of its open source nature and more third-party programmers get to look at the source code, in conjunction serious vulnerabilities are found and corrected.

9. Anonymous says:

Meanwhile, Apache 1.3.x chugs away as the most successful server in existance and in combination with PHP4 creates a highly flexible, powerful and easy to use solution.

10. Anonymous says:

I think the post was just a "what on earth does this sentence mean" post.

Not a comment on Apache and/or PHP.

I’ve looked at the sentence for about 5 minutes and I’ve not yet figured out what it means. There are too many negatives in it to parse.

Hmm.. Let’s try.

Do not use Apache 2.0 and PHP in a production environment neither on Unix nor on Windows

NOT (use Apache 2.0 and PHP in a production environment NOT (on UNIX OR on WINDOWS))

NOT (use Apache 2.0 and PHP in a production environment NOT on unix AND NOT on windows)

use apache 2.0 and PHP in a production environment ON UNIX OR ON WINDOWS.

So the sentence means that you should use Apache 2.0 and PHP on production machines on Unix or Windows. But I don’t think that’s what they intended.

11. Anonymous says:

Andreas, you claim that because of the "open source nature and more third-party programmers get to look at the source code, in conjunction serious vulnerabilities are found and corrected". I this that is a common misconception. I fact, I do not think you can back up your statement with any hard data. On the contrary, I claim that widely-used open sourced products suffer from as many or more security defects than comparable commercial products.

12. Anonymous says:

hi. All it means is that if you want to use mod_php (php through CGI is fine), you should use Apache 1.3 rather than Apache 2. I think there are threading issues with Apache 2 modules – the rewrite broke a lot of modules.

Apache 1.3 is stable and fine, although Apache 2 is faster.

Apache 2 is also fine for production use, just not in combination with mod_php. Hence if you want to use mod_php, use Apache 1.3

What is your point? And what has this uncommented upon exerpt got to do with weblogs.asp.net

Thanks

13. Anonymous says:

Larry Osterman’s comment (http://blogs.msdn.com/beatsch/archive/2004/03/23/94430.aspx#94528) made me laugh out loud.

Comments are closed.