How to switch to Windows 10 ADK on ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1

This article explains how to replace the Windows 8.1 ADK by the newly release Windows 10 ADK on a ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1 server.

Prerequisites:

• Having upgraded ConfigMgr 2012 R2 to SP1 (or SP2)
  • Having download the Windows 10 ADK for the following site

Uninstalling Windows 8.1 ADK

First thing you have to do is uninstalling Windows 8.1 ADK from the SCCM site server.

To do so, go into [Programs and Features] from [Control Panel] and uninstall [Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit for Windows 8.1]

image

At this point, it doesn’t require to restart the site server. Let’s start installing Windows 10 ADK.

Installing Windows 10 ADK on site server

On the site server, run the “adksetup.exe” you downloaded from the above link.

Install the following features:

image

Wait the installer to finish and you should see in [Programs and Features] Windows 10 ADK installed on your site server.

image

At this point, you need to reboot the site server.

Create the new boot images in SCCM

First thing to do after the reboot is to copy the WIM files of both x86 and x64 versions of WinPE 10 to a shared folder.

Here are the paths to both WIM:

• X86 WinPE: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\en-us\winpe.wim
  • X64 WinPE: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us\winpe.wim

Copied each wim in the appropriate shared folder. In my lab, those shares are:

• \\<SiteServerFQDN><a href="file://\\\ConfigMgr\Content\OSD\BootImages\Win10PEx86">\ConfigMgr\Content\OSD\BootImages\Win10PEx86
  • \\<SiteServerFQDN><a href="file://\\\ConfigMgr\Content\OSD\BootImages\Win10PEx64">\ConfigMgr\Content\OSD\BootImages\Win10PEx64

From the SCCM console, go to [Software Library] –> [Overview] –> [Operating Systems] –> [Boot Images] and click on the [Add Boot Image] button in the ribbon menu.

In the wizard, specify the source UNC path of the WIM file. Click Next.

image

Then enter a name for the new WinPE.

image

Click next twice and you’re done!

Do the same for the 64 bits version of WinPE and don’t forget to distribute those contents to all your DPs!!

image

Last settings before playing with Windows 10 OSD

Before starting playing with Windows 10 OSD, you need make available both newly imported WinPE to the DP for PXE boot.

For both versions of WinPE 10, check [Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution point].

image

Note: Uncheck that same settings in any other boot images that you are not using anymore! the old boot images you already had can still be used for OSD but you wont be able customize (like importing drivers) them from SCCM console.

Create USMT 10 package

If you plan to use USMT, create an USMT 10 package using the below source path.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\User State Migration Tool

image

Select [Do not create a program] on the next page and you’re done. Distribute the content to the DP to start using it.

Start Windows 10 OSD now!

Do not forget to change the boot image settings of the existing task sequences (you can change used boot image from properties of task sequences).

Now you’re good to go!! Create new task sequences, select the new boot image and enjoy deploying Windows 10!

1. Dewayne says:

Have you had any issues using powershell in your new boot images? I'm having a lot of strange errors just trying to run powershell from the command prompt.

2. I just tried and doesn't seem buggy so far... what command did you try to run?

3. merlin_with_a_j says:

Just a pointer: adding boot images from the console on my workstation, wouldn't succeed. Threw me a bogus error saying it would only accept images with maximum compression.

Using the console on the site server worked fine though.

4. Dewayne says:

I was simply running powershell from the command prompt. I use a powershell form as a frontend so at first I thought my script was broken but soon realized that powershell itself wasn't working properly.

Here is an example:

It's hit or miss as you can see, and gives multiple errors when it fails.

5. ardamis says:

Hi.

I believe your path to the x64 winpe.wim is incorrect.  Where you have x64, the correct directory name is amd64  On my server, the path (I happen to use D:) is:

D:Program Files (x86)Windows Kits10Assessment and Deployment KitWindows Preinstallation Environmentamd64en-uswinpe.wim

Thanks,

-ardamis

6. @dewayne: have you tried to add the Powershell module in your boot image? (from optional component list) if yesm try to remove it and re-add it.

@ardamis: thank you for noticing that erratum! corrected it 😉

7. Dewayne says:

Yes of course :), take a look at the image I posted, it was taken from my new boot image.

I have removed, re-added, recreated, uninstalled/reinstalled the ADK, all with no luck.

This thread reported the same problem, although it was for the preview. It seems the issue still exists:

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../windows-adk-10074-issue-with-winpe-and-powershell

8. Jon says:

Hello Hammoudi,

Does one only need to install the ADK on the primary site server, or all site servers (i.e. Management Point servers, Distribution Point servers, SQL servers, etc.)

9. @Dewayne I saw that thread as well! I'll see internally if it's a reported bug. Will update you about that asap 🙂

@Jon you need to upgrade to Windows 10 ADK on all system in the site that have it installed (site servers, SMS providers, administrator consoles). Basically you won't have ADK installed on a DP, MP or SQL server so you won't have to worry about ADK on those servers.

10. Dewayne says:

I appreciate it. I haven't been able to find much information about it so it's looking like a support call is going to be my only option...

11. Mitch says:

Following your excellent instructions I've run into the "The specified file is invalid. Only maximum compression type is supported. " error message for the first time.  I'm doing this through the console.  Any idea what this might be caused by?  I ran through your steps successfully on another Config Manager server without issue.  This one is close to the same (CM2012R2SP1CU1).  Any suggestions to get past this are appreciated.

12. First of all, verify that Win 8,1 ADK is uninstalled. Have you rebooted your site server after Win 10 ADK installation? What is your SCCM hierarchy?

13. Norman says:

I have exact the same problems with powershell as Dewayne. Seems to be a bug... Do you have any news on this issue?

14. Dewayne says:

I opened a ticket with MS and they are trying to reproduce the issue in their lab, but I haven't heard much progress.

We've got a thread running on Niall's site: windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12833-sccm-2012-r2-sp1-task-sequence-powershell-adk-10-error-800703e9/

15. Stephen says:

I've just managed to get to the bottom of the "The specified file is invalid. Only maximum compression type is supported. " message.  I can't get the boot images into SCCM at all on my windows 10 laptop.  I got the same message on my site server as well.  Checked I had uninstalled 8.1 ADK fully, noticed I had an Windows Automated Installation kit install so uninstalled that, bounced the server and now the images are importing fine.

16. Justin says:

I'm experiencing an issue after installing the Windows 10 ADK, my DP is broken. Nothing new I deploy, ie.. TS, Applications, Packages can not be seen by clients. If reinstall the 8.1 ADK it still doesn't work. the only way it starts working again is if I remove the DP and Reinstall. When I have time I will try installing the Windows 10 ADK and try uninstalling DP and re-install DP.

17. Chris says:

I had the same problem as Justin.  I installed Win 10 ADK followed all the setup instructions.  Then when I deployed a Windows 10 Task Sequence PXE stopped working on my Distribution Points.  When I pulled back the WinPE 10 boot images PXE began working again. Anyone else have this problem and have a fix?  It would be awesome to be able to test Windows 10 deployment...

18. John says:

Updated ours yesterday to 2012 R2 SP1 CU1, then uninstalled the 8.1 ADK and installed the 10 ADK.

Same problem as Justin and Chris...

19. Aidan says:

We've been having lots of issues with PowerShell after upgrading our boot images to Windows 10. It seems to only be an issue when booting using UEFI (e.g. on a Surface). Do you have any more news on this bug?

20. Michelle says:

Also having trouble here with powershell from the ADK10 with PXE booting in SCCM.  Hoping this gets fixed soon.

21. Raymond says:

I was having an issue importing a WIM file, turns out I didn't do a full installation as required.  THANK YOU!!!

22. Abdusalam, Abu Dhabi says:

It works me well...thanks for the guide

23. shineknox says:

I went through the process and I'm not seeing all the tabs on the boot image properties. I don't see where I can set the F8 for command support, I don't see Images, Drivers, customization, optional components tabs. What might I be missing?

1. When you update the Windows ADK to version 10, you won't be able to customize through SCCM older boot image. The boot image customization tabs in SCCM only appear on the boot image with the same version as Windows ADK. So you should see them on the WinPE 10 but if you have older boot images (WinPE 5 for instance), you won't see the customization tabs anymore. Which WinPE are you trying to edit?

24. dan says:

Question: Creating the new boot images, you mention copying the New wim files to a shared folder. I have a secondary HD mainly for the OS's, updates, etc. Is this similar to the file structure that you are referring to? Or di these files of yours reside in an already created file structure created from the installation of SCCM or with the ADK? Thanks.

•\\\ConfigMgr\Content\OSD\BootImages\Win10PEx86
    •\\
    \ConfigMgr\Content\OSD\BootImages\Win10PEx64

25. David says:

Hi,
    I can't add the new boot images. There is nothing to select in the drop down. Please help. Thanks

Comments are closed.